Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#103220 by AZBean
Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:17 pm
Hi, I am a new Telo user with two HD2 handsets and several conventional cordless handsets with a single base station. I live in the Phoenix metro area, where there are three area codes 480, 602 and 623. My phone number has a 480 area code. With my prior phone service (Cox Communications) I had to dial numbers in the 602 or 623 area codes by dialing a ten digit number, e.g. 602-123-4567. If I dialed a number in the 480 area code I could dial either a ten digit number with the area code or just the seven digit number. All calls outside the Phoenix metro area needed a '1' prefix to indicate that it was long distance.

Now, with the Telo, all of that is the same except for dialing numbers in my own area code. If I dial a sevent digit number such as 123-4567 I get connected to 480-123-4567 as expected. If I dial a ten digit number such as 480-123-4567 it does not connect me to that number, but rather to some other number, usually one that is not in service. The interesting part is on the HD2 handsets if I dial 480-123-4567, when the call is connected the handset screen says that it is calling 480-1234. It seems as if it is stripping off the area code (which is logical because it is my own area code), then taking only the first four digits of the remaining seven digits and then putting the area code back on again.

For what it is worth, I do not have the ten digit dialing option turned on.
#103222 by thunderbird
Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:24 pm
AZBean wrote:Hi, I am a new Telo user with two HD2 handsets and several conventional cordless handsets with a single base station. I live in the Phoenix metro area, where there are three area codes 480, 602 and 623. My phone number has a 480 area code. With my prior phone service (Cox Communications) I had to dial numbers in the 602 or 623 area codes by dialing a ten digit number, e.g. 602-123-4567. If I dialed a number in the 480 area code I could dial either a ten digit number with the area code or just the seven digit number. All calls outside the Phoenix metro area needed a '1' prefix to indicate that it was long distance.

Now, with the Telo, all of that is the same except for dialing numbers in my own area code. If I dial a sevent digit number such as 123-4567 I get connected to 480-123-4567 as expected. If I dial a ten digit number such as 480-123-4567 it does not connect me to that number, but rather to some other number, usually one that is not in service. The interesting part is on the HD2 handsets if I dial 480-123-4567, when the call is connected the handset screen says that it is calling 480-1234. It seems as if it is stripping off the area code (which is logical because it is my own area code), then taking only the first four digits of the remaining seven digits and then putting the area code back on again.

For what it is worth, I do not have the ten digit dialing option turned on.

Maybe you should turn on the Ten Digit dialing option in My Ooma and see what happens????
#103225 by lbmofo
Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:15 pm
Not having 10-digit dialing on is your problem.

https://my.ooma.com/system

Enable 10-digit dialing and Save. Give about 5 minutes.

10-digit dialing lets you make long-distance calls without dialing the initial 1, just like on your cell phone.

This can introduce a short delay if you dial 7 digits for local calls. Press # after you dial to put the call through immediately.

You can always dial 10 digits. If you dial 7 digits only for same area code numbers, just press # after to connect immediately.