Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#102167 by Morac
Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:14 pm
I'm at home and I just got an email from Ooma informing me of a new voicemail. I found this odd since my phone never rang. I checked the message and it's from FedEx (800-463-3339) informing me of an upcoming delivery. I called my home from my cell and it rang and worked when I answered. I checked the Ooma call logs and the call from FedEx doesn't even show up.

I have a personal blacklist set up to play a "disconnected" message, but I also have the community blacklist enabled and set to go to voicemail, so that's the only thing I can think of.

Why would Fedex be on the Community Blacklist and how can I get them removed? If I remember Amazon was on the list as well.
#102191 by ajw522
Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:53 am
Chase is on there as well, FYI.
#102193 by murphy
Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:49 am
Morac wrote:Why would Fedex be on the Community Blacklist and how can I get them removed? If I remember Amazon was on the list as well.

I have never seen a description of how the community blacklist is created.

My guess, and the way that I would do it, is that it is automatically generated by comparing personal blacklists for matching numbers. Any number that has a significant number of matches goes on the community blacklist. What is significant? 10, 100, 1000???

Given that a lot of useful services like to set their CNAM to "800 Service" instead of their real name I can understand how they would end up on a blacklist.

My car dealer's service department identifies as "800 Service".
#102227 by bluechalk
Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:48 am
Its easy for telemarketers to spoof the CallerID system. They sometime present the Caller ID of a legitimate company, like FedEx or Chase, hoping that you will answer. When enough Ooma people add that number to their blacklist, Ooma automatically adds it to the Community Blacklist. The trouble is that this blocks legitimate calls from those companies in addition to blocking the unwanted calls.

The FTC is offering a $50,000 cash prize if you can come up with a way to get rid of these calls.
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2012/10/robocalls3.shtm