Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#98149 by wozzukes
Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 pm
Hi all,

I have had my Ooma Hub for about 3 years now, and from day one have had issues calling a specific exchange. I have emailed support multiple times about it over the years and have provided them all of the information I can, but the issue has never been fully resolved and is really starting to work on my nerves. I have no problems calling any numbers except for 610-682-XXXX (Topton, PA) numbers. Unfortunately, that is where my family lives and I call those numbers quite often. Here is a summary of what I experience when calling this exchange:

-Almost every day I will get at least one message saying the party I am dialing does not accept anonymous calls
-Dead air after dialing but phone rings on other end
-I can hear them but they cannot hear me
-Pretty much every time I call a different random name/number appears on their caller id
-Calls sometimes randomly drop and I will get the ooma sound/dial tone again

It usually takes me at least 2 or 3 tries to get through to those numbers when I call them. If I dial my Google Voice number first and then the number I usually do not have a problem, but I shouldn't HAVE to do that to make a call. Again, I can call any other number without issue. They call me without issue (but they tend to call my Google Voice number and not my direct Ooma number, if that makes a difference).

So, is this an Ooma issue? An issue with their telco? Somewhere in the middle? Anyone else with a similar issue? Any thoughts or recommendations on resolving would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
#98387 by jrruss
Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:14 am
I have also had intermittent Caller ID issues and no connects when I'm dialing my wife at our property in area code 651 (southeastern MN) from my home in Folsom, CA. When I call, most times it takes up to 25 seconds from dialing the last digit to when I actually get a ring back tone and when I do connect, the caller ID has been incorrect many of the calls. Other times. I get a ring back within 10 seconds of dialing the last digit and the wife answers and hears nothing while I continue to hear ring back tone on my end. Note that I have no issues calling this number from my cell phone or from the "land line" I keep for FAX calls.

I suspect Ooma has a routing issue with how these calls traverse the network and most likely the carrier somewhere along the route is to blame. So far, Ooma 2nd level support is "looking into the issue" but I've gotten no follow-up calls to report their progress. It's only been a week so I'll be patient and give them a little longer to work the issue before I take it to the next level.

I also have noticed intermittent call quality issues when calling this same number, again something I attribute to what route the call is taking and where and how it transitions from carrier ro carrier that Ooma uses.