Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#98082 by CaptainRay
Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:53 am
it seems that the only way people in my area code can call me is by having to enter the 1+AreaCode before the number. Is there any setting I need to make to allow local inbound calls to use 7 digit calling?

Thanks
#98083 by murphy
Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:15 am
Dialing is controlled by the calling party's phone company.
7 digit dialing does not work throughout an area code.

It hasn't worked at all where I live for over 15 years due to overlaid area codes.
My house is in 3 different area codes.
All calling in my area requires a minimum of 10 digits.

Your exchange, although in their area code, is probably not part of their local calling area and may be a toll call.
#98084 by lbmofo
Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:50 am
Some folks in certain areas say that their phone company (landline) forces them to dial 11 digits even if call is local. You can at least find out if your Ooma number is local to your friends/family with landline: viewtopic.php?t=13996
#98129 by CaptainRay
Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:56 am
It appears that my exchange (910-294) and our neighbors (910-253) are indeed not "Local Calls" and require they and all the rest in my community, dial us using the 11 digit number. So my question is, how can I change the exchange I currently have to one that is local? Can that be done once the number was selected?

btw, THANKS lbmofo for the link to the Local Calling Guide. that helped clear this up.
#98130 by lbmofo
Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:19 am
If you just signed up to Ooma, you have Premier trial still, in which case you can select another number yourself.
https://my.ooma.com/numbers Look for "Add a new phone number" link.

If you like the 2nd number you chose better, you can call into customer service to have them swap the primary and secondary number in your account. When premier trial is over, your 2ndary number will drop off from your account if you don't continue with Premier.

If basic service already, one time number change fee is $19.99
Call Ooma customer service 1-888-711-OOMA to make a change.