Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#93919 by bmsgaffer86
Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:01 pm
Hello,

I am new to Ooma but have had my fair share of experiences so far. The night I installed it, it worked great. I made several outgoing and incoming calls with no problem.

The next evening, someone called me and I could hear them, but they could not hear me. Also, when I went to dial out, I would push a key and hear the keytone but the dialtone would never stop. The red '1' on the ooma lit, but the Telo never responded to anything I dialed. The next day it worked fine again and I assumed it was just a hiccup. Now the issue has reoccurred and I am worried about reliability.

I have been talking to service and they are fussing with lots of network issues. They told me if I can receive calls and the red light comes on when the line is off hook there is (and i quote) "nothing wrong with the Ooma device at all, it is working perfectly fine" but I feel almost certain that it has to do with the phone port on the telo. When I did get to make calls, and when i receive calls the quality was great, but now it wont even attempt to.

Should I be asking for a new Ooma? (i have rebooted many times in many orders, tried new phones, cords, QoS, etc. All the settings are back to default)

And of course as I finish this post I find a direct correlation to the problem. If I push around on the jack in the Ooma while on a call it will cut in and out. There seems to be some internal solder connection or circuitry problem. Definitely asking for a new Telo I will post anyway for your suggestions and to help anyone else out.

Brandon
#93922 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:51 pm
Try a different phone (borrow if you have to; hardwired phone to try would be best to rule out Telo problem). Are you using a cordless phone that's not DECT 6? Get a DECT 6 phone if hardwired phone works fine.
#93932 by thunderbird
Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 am
Brandon:
Also try testing connecting your Ooma, Modem-Router-Ooma. Remove power from your Modem, Ooma, and Router.
Reconnect Modem-Router-Ooma. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device.
For the Modem-Router-Ooma connection, nothing is connected to the Ooma device's Home port, except to temporarily connect a network cable from a computer to the Ooma device's home port to view or make changes in Ooma Setup. Access Ooma setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window, after a computer reboot. Normally the Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet Speeds are set to zero for this type of Ooma connection. Also change the MAC address from the Automatic setting to Use Built MAC In address setting.

Normally the Line I and/or Line 2 light are blue (not in use) or yellow (in use). If it is red, probably something is wrong. Try the following.
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

If you can wiggle any of the cables or cords at the back of the Ooma device, and they are loose or you hear static, or Line 1 or Line 2 number(s) turns red, and you are within the one year warranty period, you should ask Ooma Customer Support for a replacement Ooma device. The Ooma device comes shipping prepaid, and also there is a prepaid shipping label enclosed to send the defective Ooma device back.