Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#92355 by jpmn01
Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:18 am
Update: In my last post, I mentioned that the Ooma wouldn't work properly even when I re-provisioned all of the equipment (modem, Ooma and router). The only way I was able to get the Ooma to work is if I put it behind the router. That got me thinking about when I re-provisioned the system in the order of modem-Ooma-router. I don't know a reason for thinking that maybe the Ooma should see the router before I connect the Ooma to the modem, but I went back and re-provisioned the system. I powered all of the equipment down and disconnected everything. Then I powered the modem back up without anything connected to the ethernet port. While the modem was powering up, I powered up the Ooma and let it stabilize. The Ooma settled in with the red Ooma logo, but that was expected since I didn't have it connected to the modem yet. Then I powered up the router and plugged that into the Ooma to let the Ooma see the router. I gave that connection a minute or two and then plugged the ethernet on the modem to the ethernet on the Ooma. Now the Ooma is working positioned between the modem and router again. The call quality isn't that great, but I was adjusting some QOS settings and need to dial those in. Hopefully that will get the quality better. I'm back in business. I am happy I figured it out on my own because it will help me the next time this happens (and I'm sure it will). I am still a bit frustrated though that I never heard from Ooma Engineering. They may have got me up and going a lot sooner if they would have just responded like they said they would.
#93964 by laraqui
Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:35 am
I have the exact problem.

I have the Ooma Telo a year ago. Up to 5 months it was working perfectly. On the device's set-up menu, it looks all good. All the lights are blue and everything is connected. When I try to make a call, however, the phone that I dial rings. (It is my own phone.) However, I cannot hear anything inside the Ooma handset (no ring, no voice mail, nothing except a click, click at the beginning of the call). If I answer the call, I can hear nothing through the handset or in the phone I am calling. So, that's my issue in a nutshell. I know that I have enough bandwidth after running several speedtests on different days. So, that does not seem to be the issue.

I know I have all the ports open:
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443

I hard reset the ooma Telo. I change phone

Nothing seems wrong but I am having this issue which make ooma inoperable.

Please HELP URGENT

Pleas
#93968 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:37 am
laraqui wrote:I have the exact problem.

I have the Ooma Telo a year ago. Up to 5 months it was working perfectly. On the device's set-up menu, it looks all good. All the lights are blue and everything is connected. When I try to make a call, however, the phone that I dial rings. (It is my own phone.) However, I cannot hear anything inside the Ooma handset (no ring, no voice mail, nothing except a click, click at the beginning of the call). If I answer the call, I can hear nothing through the handset or in the phone I am calling. So, that's my issue in a nutshell. I know that I have enough bandwidth after running several speedtests on different days. So, that does not seem to be the issue.

I know I have all the ports open:
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443

I hard reset the ooma Telo. I change phone

Nothing seems wrong but I am having this issue which make ooma inoperable.

Please HELP URGENT

Pleas

I was having the same problem last week. I powered off our Ooma Telo maybe three times for one hour each before it cleared by itself. This week we dial the number, but don't hear ringing for about a minute to a minute and a half, then we hear ringing and the call goes through. The power off one hour seemed to help this symptom also.

Try powering off the Ooma Telo for one hour. Then repower the Ooma Telo and test.

This problem is probably a carrier routing problem and you should report this problem to Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Late add: This afternoon my second Ooma Telo would ring but when answered wouldn't allow any voice conversations. I powered the second Ooma Telo off for more then an hour, and the repowered the Second Ooma Telo. When making test calls, I found that everything had returned to normal.
#130437 by oomacomh
Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:27 am
Bottom line: (for technical details and my debugging process, see below): this problem may be caused by a phone that has a lot of functions but not power source of its own. In other words, the telephone plugs into the jack in the wall of your house but has no other independent power source. In my case, this phone also had a pulse-tone button. The problem might have been triggered when someone unintentionally put the phone into pulse mode (that is the mode that old phones with a rotary dial had). However, even when we fixed the problem and put the phone in pulse mode before dialing out, the problem recurred. It seems like the protocol negotiation caused some problem with incoming calls from cell phones.

Answer: Unplug the Ooma Telo for 20 minutes, reboot. I read on a forum entry that in 20 minutes, the Ooma server will know that you are offline and reset your settings. Don't use the types of phone that I described above (or maybe too many phones that draw power from your home telephone wiring circuit). It may be that the Ooma Telo can't drive so many phones. If you still have problems, call Ooma, make sure that you have a better "quality" setting on their end, and try the procedure again.

Details:
I started using Ooma in mid-April, 2015. Everything was working well, except for some faxing challenges (that's another story, but I was able to fax by trying *98 or *99 or nothing at all -- it's not all that consistent or reliable). Sound quality was good.

However, by early July, I started some really bad problems with incoming calls: either I couldn't hear the caller, vice versa, or both. This only happened with incoming calls from cell phones, not landlines. Sometimes the call would result in silence, then a drop followed by the Ooma tone. It make my home phone basically useless. I spent a lot of time debugging this and both Ooma chat and technical support were not able to help. They just set the "quality" to a higher level and asked me to reboot my Ooma Telo. I don't really understand why I would have been set to a lower quality in the first place. I first suspected that may this was done by the system once my trial Ooma Premier service expired, but now I don't know that this was the case.

The Ooma technical support person had me do the upload/download speed and the Ping/Jitter/Dropped Packets tests. I was told to contact my ISP (Xfinity/Comcast). Comcast did some "clearing" of the connection on their end, but it didn't help. Comcast called me from a landline, and the call was fine, so that's when I found out that the problem that the problem was only with incoming cell phone calls. Sometimes, outgoing calls had the same symptoms of callers not being able to hear one another (either one way or both ways).

I also called my cell phone carrier Sprint. Sprint was very helpful and opened a ticket. They had past issues with this, but it may have had to do with home telephone numbers being on some list of inactive or reserved phone numbers from previous carriers (I don't know the details). Sprint said that it would take several business days to get back to me. I have not heard back yet (it's only been 1 day). However, I don't think that Sprint did anything yet because I can consistently reproduce the problem right now. I believe that it's either too much power draw on the home wiring circuit that Ooma drives or the protocol negotiation between the telephone unit and the network and the Ooma system. Either way, be careful about using multi-function phones without an independent power source or phones with pulse-tone switches. When they make an outgoing call, Ooma can't take it and gets messed up. I spent many, many hours to find out all this, so I hope this helps others to resolve the problem and avoid frustration and saving time. If it also helps you, please post an entry to let others know that it worked. It's good to get confirmation that my situation is not isolated but applies to others. Thanks!
#130438 by murphy
Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:05 pm
The Telo phone jack can handle up to 5 REN (Ringer Equivalence Number). The REN number for a phone should be on its label unless its one of those old phones with real bells. Those should not be used at all.
#130441 by oomacomh
Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:15 pm
Thanks, Murphy.

That's helpful information. Now we know the limit of phones with the Ooma to be 5 REN.

In my case, I had 5 telephones plugged into my house telephone wiring (1 cordless set with 3 handsets - I count that as 1 REN, 2 multi-function phones without external power source that have the pulse/tone switch, 1 multi-function phone with external power source that has a programmable pulse/tone option (no switch), and 1 old style phone with a bell, which you said should never be used).

The problem is reproducible by calling out from one of the multi-function phones with the pulse/tone switch. Once I do that, incoming calls from cell phones will have audio and drop problems. Because I didn't exceed the allowable REN limit, I would think that it's that phone that is causing the problem, not the old style phone with a bell. When I call in from a cell phone the old style phone does ring and we don't have the problem. Of course, the calls were picked up from one of the cordless phone handsets, so I cannot definitely say what would have happened if the call had been picked up from one of the other phones. I also haven't tried calling out from any of those other phones either. I don't know for sure if that would cause problems, but I will try it. In any case, things seem to be working for now, at least when using the cordless handsets. I disconnected one of the multi-function phones without external power as that was the phone I used to reproduced the problem, but now that I have this new information, I can't say for sure that it was that phone that caused the problem. Maybe one of the other non-cordless phones could have caused the problem. Again, I will try calling out from the other phones and see if that causes problems. If so, I will just disconnect the problem phone(s).
#130442 by oomacomh
Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:44 pm
I checked the REN on the cordless phone with 3 handsets, but I don't know what to make of it. It says 0.0B (that's right 0.0B, NOT 0.08). In any case, I took the conservative way and counted each phone as having 1 REN. When I have time, I will check the other phones.

At this point, it still appears that dialing out from the multifunction phone that I used caused the problem, but again, I did not dial out with the other multifunction phones or the old phone with the bell ringer. I am just glad that I've got things working for now. If I have time, I will do more testing with the other phones and remove any problem-causing phones. If I really need more phones, I will use the cordless kind (the three cordless handsets that I have use a base with an answering machine. I set Ooma VoiceMail to wait 59 seconds so that my answering machine will take the call before Ooma VoiceMail). It's taken me way too much time to even get to this point. Maybe what I've written so far will help others to avoid all the frustration I went through to find a way around the problem. I might not do another posting on this subject as I've expended too much time and effort on this issue already. I wish that technical support from Ooma could have helped me more. Instead, I had to figure all this out by myself (neither Comcast nor Sprint could solve the problem for me either -- Sprint opened a ticket and is still working on it). I would think that Ooma should have been able to help as this is its core business.
#130443 by murphy
Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:51 am
0.08 REN is a modern phone with it's own power supply. You could connect 10 of those and still be less than 1 REN. The ones that are stealing power from the Telo are likely very high if they are labeled at all. I would retire those phones.
#130446 by MLXXXp
Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:13 am
REN stands for RINGER equivalence number. It only affects the ability of the Telo to make attached phones ring. Problems making outgoing calls, being unable to hear either side of a conversation, delays, echoes, or anything other than making a phone ring, has nothing to do with REN.