Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#91557 by kb7
Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:32 am
Hi. We've had an Ooma for going on three years. Most of the time, we're pretty happy.

Occasionally (and always inconveniently) we can hear the person on the other end (who may be using a POTS landline or a cell phone or Skype or whatever) but they cannot hear us. It does not matter which party originates the call. When this happens, it is repeatable. Calling back (from either end) does not fix the problem. When it happens, it happens for *all* calls and Ooma is useless until it magically fixes itself. Rebooting the Ooma helps sometimes but not always.

This isn't exactly the classic half-duplex problem. It is completely unidirectional communication. Even if the other party is not speaking and is in a quiet room, they cannot hear me. We have tested this under controlled conditions by calling our Ooma line in quiet Room 1, from a cell phone in quiet Room 2 (acoustically isolated from Room 1), or vice versa, while making sure the two two parties are not trying to talk at the same time.

Help!
#91558 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:07 am
kb7 wrote:Hi. We've had an Ooma for going on three years. Most of the time, we're pretty happy.

Occasionally (and always inconveniently) we can hear the person on the other end (who may be using a POTS landline or a cell phone or Skype or whatever) but they cannot hear us. It does not matter which party originates the call. When this happens, it is repeatable. Calling back (from either end) does not fix the problem. When it happens, it happens for *all* calls and Ooma is useless until it magically fixes itself. Rebooting the Ooma helps sometimes but not always.

This isn't exactly the classic half-duplex problem. It is completely unidirectional communication. Even if the other party is not speaking and is in a quiet room, they cannot hear me. We have tested this under controlled conditions by calling our Ooma line in quiet Room 1, from a cell phone in quiet Room 2 (acoustically isolated from Room 1), or vice versa, while making sure the two parties are not trying to talk at the same time.

Help!

Posts from Ooma moderator Tom B about the One Way Conversation issue:
Tom B wrote:Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:34 am.
So my home's Ooma Telo one way audio problem should be fixed next week?

Correct, once all servers are upgraded which will likely complete the week after next. Before that it will be hit or miss depending on which server you hit when making calls. And for those unfamiliar with this issue, it only happens on calls to certain numbers.

Tom B wrote:Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:14 pm.
Due to the running of some additional benchmarking tests the server upgrades will not complete until some time the week after next.

I have been suffering from the One Way Conversation issue also.
As you can read, Ooma is working on the problem, but has postponed the "fix" for another couple of weeks.
In the mean time, it probably wouldn't hurt if you also reported your problem to Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#91559 by kb7
Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:17 am
thunderbird wrote:
kb7 wrote:Hi. We've had an Ooma for going on three years. Most of the time, we're pretty happy.

I have been suffering from the One Way Conversation issue also.
As you can read, Ooma is working on the problem, but has postponed the "fix" for another couple of weeks.
In the mean time, it probably wouldn't hurt if you also reported your problem to Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Thanks. Reported to support@oomacare.com two minutes ago.
#106478 by thunderbird
Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:40 pm
danimal442 wrote:Is anyone still having this problem? This thread is about a year old and I've just started using Ooma. I'm having a similar problem, but THEY can hear me, but I CAN"T hear them. Related?

Frist:
Try a different phone.

If the problem continues, how is your Ooma setup, Modem-Ooma-Router, Modem/Router-Ooma, or Modem-Router-Ooma?
#106533 by spl21719
Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:44 pm
I'm having this issue, external caller can hear me but I cannot hear them. It does not matter if call originates from Ooma or from outside.

My setup is (TWC) Cable Gateway ---- Ooma ---- POTS telephone.

Rebooting the Ooma box temporarily resolves the issue.

Is there any UPnP forwarding that happens with Ooma? Are there suggested manual TCP/UDP ports to forward on the gateway?
#106535 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 pm
spl21719 wrote:I'm having this issue, external caller can hear me but I cannot hear them. It does not matter if call originates from Ooma or from outside.

My setup is (TWC) Cable Gateway ---- Ooma ---- POTS telephone.

Rebooting the Ooma box temporarily resolves the issue.

Is there any UPnP forwarding that happens with Ooma? Are there suggested manual TCP/UDP ports to forward on the gateway?

See topic for Ooma Ports: https://www.ooma.com/app/support/advance ... vice-ports .

Putting the Ooma Internet port MAC address into the Modem/Router DMZ would probably also work.

This often helps also:
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
#106538 by spl21719
Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:16 pm
thunderbird wrote:See topic for Ooma Ports: https://www.ooma.com/app/support/advance ... vice-ports .

Putting the Ooma Internet port MAC address into the Modem/Router DMZ would probably also work.

DMZ is going to conflict with some other port forwarding rules.

Do you know if Ooma does UPnP?

For the ports listed in the link above, I'm surprised the ports are forwarded for outbound connections. My understanding is that port forwarding works for inbound connections due to NAPT. Is there a typo in that page?

I'll try the ports and the other suggestion to see if either works. Thanks.