Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#91275 by mbhang
Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:39 am
All,

I recently changed ISP from comcast to ATT ( I used to be able to use OOMA with ATT a year or so back, when I had ATT as my ISP).

After that, my outgoing calls stopped working. Looking at these forums, I figure I should give *96/*98 a try, and sure enough, my calls work using these numbers.

I have tried all things suggested in the forums (MAC address built in, DHCP settings), switch off for 20 minutes etc, nothing seems to work.

My configuration is Modem-->Telo-->router

I tried chat with Ooma support, opened a tech ticket. Tech support made me go thru the setup changes, still no change. Call was escalated to higher level support, they indicated they made changes to my device - and subjected Telo to another 20 minute power off routine. Still no change.

Strange thing is (I still have comcast), that if I revert to comcast, outgoing calls start working as is.

I have no issues with INCOMING calls.

I am wondering if anybody else has faced the same issue.

Thanks,
#91278 by thunderbird
Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:16 am
mbhang wrote:All,

I recently changed ISP from comcast to ATT ( I used to be able to use OOMA with ATT a year or so back, when I had ATT as my ISP).

After that, my outgoing calls stopped working. Looking at these forums, I figure I should give *96/*98 a try, and sure enough, my calls work using these numbers.

I have tried all things suggested in the forums (MAC address built in, DHCP settings), switch off for 20 minutes etc, nothing seems to work.

My configuration is Modem-->Telo-->router

I tried chat with Ooma support, opened a tech ticket. Tech support made me go thru the setup changes, still no change. Call was escalated to higher level support, they indicated they made changes to my device - and subjected Telo to another 20 minute power off routine. Still no change.

Strange thing is (I still have comcast), that if I revert to comcast, outgoing calls start working as is.

I have no issues with INCOMING calls.

I am wondering if anybody else has faced the same issue.

Thanks,

Since *96/*98 works, it's an Ooma side problem. You will have to "bug" Ooma Support until they fix the problem.

One last thing to try. Instead of removing power from your Ooma Telo for 20 minutes, remove power for 1 hour. (The Longer period of time allows the Ooma servers to reset more things in your porfile.) Repower and test.
#91283 by mbhang
Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Thanks,

I tried disconnecting for an hour (as you indicated). No improvement. This is crazy. Tech support in Ooma not very helpful either (they have made me go over the same bit, disconnect this, reboot that etc).

Resigned to using *98 for now :-(
#91287 by mbhang
Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:45 pm
My phonepower speedtest stats are as follows (based on another of your posts - thunderbird)


Download Speed: 5020 kbps
Upload Speed: 647 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 95%
Upload Consistency of Service 99 %
Maximum TCP Delay 167 ms
Jitter you server 0.0 ms
Jitter server you 0.3 ms
Packet loss: you server 0.0 %
Packet loss: server you 0.0 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
Packets out of order 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score 4.2

I have ticket 111230-000271 open with Ooma. Hopefully, Ooma will resolve this soon - or maybe, it is time to try Vonage/Magicjack (the new one that does not need pc) etc.
#91306 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:05 pm
mbhang wrote:Thanks,

I tried disconnecting for an hour (as you indicated). No improvement. This is crazy. Tech support in Ooma not very helpful either (they have made me go over the same bit, disconnect this, reboot that etc).

Resigned to using *98 for now :-(

Yes, Ooma Customer Support has to fix this one on their side.
#91313 by mbhang
Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:36 pm
On a whim, I bought a new modem from Fry's electronics (just to rule out that modem was not blocking some codec as a result of some unsupported protocol).

Strangely, it seems to work with new modem (TP-Link TD-8817 V6.0) - but does not work with old modem (Trendnet TDM-C400 v1.0R).

Another strange thing, with Trendnet, though outogoing calls are not succeeding, ooma call log seems to think that the call succeeded. Different layers of communication and handshakes going on between device and server, I guess.

I will play around with different modem settings and try to figure out what may be causing this issue.

However, it does appear that your modem/modem settings can also cause this type of issue.
#91316 by lbmofo
Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:04 pm
Not same issue but for your info...

I had a couple of TrendNet routers that never worked properly with my Ooma app via wifi. Didn't matter what I tried. Ended up getting another router (D-Link). I've never tried Ooma behind the router when I had TrendNet but it wouldn't suprise me if TrendNet modem is the culprit.
#91317 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:09 pm
mbhang wrote:On a whim, I bought a new modem from Fry's electronics (just to rule out that modem was not blocking some codec as a result of some unsupported protocol).

Strangely, it seems to work with new modem (TP-Link TD-8817 V6.0) - but does not work with old modem (Trendnet TDM-C400 v1.0R).

Another strange thing, with Trendnet, though outogoing calls are not succeeding, ooma call log seems to think that the call succeeded. Different layers of communication and handshakes going on between device and server, I guess.

I will play around with different modem settings and try to figure out what may be causing this issue.

However, it does appear that your modem/modem settings can also cause this type of issue.

The Trendnet TDM-C400 v1.0R is a Modem/Router. But in your first post you said that your connection was "My configuration is Modem-->Telo-->router". But you really have a Modem/Router-Telo-Router configuration.
Normally with a Modem/Router-Telo-Router configuration the Modem/Router Firewall security is turned off, because you don't need it, because it just cause problems and the second Router provides the Router security.
#91321 by mbhang
Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:44 pm
Okay - thanks thunderbird for pointing that out.

Is there any tweak I could make in the TDM-C400 configuration (the new modem that works is also a modem router TP-LINK TD-8817) to make the outgoing calls work - and any reason why incoming would work - *98 etc would work, but outgoing without star codes would not work ?

Thanks,
#91323 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:18 pm
mbhang wrote:Okay - thanks thunderbird for pointing that out.

Is there any tweak I could make in the TDM-C400 configuration (the new modem that works is also a modem router TP-LINK TD-8817) to make the outgoing calls work - and any reason why incoming would work - *98 etc would work, but outgoing without star codes would not work ?

Thanks,

The old modem/router is probably blocking a port(s). Probably in the UDP 10000-20000 range.

When using the *98, a different outbound port(s) is probably used.

When the Ooma device is behind (on the LAN side of) the a router(s), if you go into the router(s) and Port Forward all of the listed ports in the router(s) for the reserved IP address of the Ooma device, calling out should work.

It's probably easier to just turn the Firewall off in the Modem/Router. This is okay if you have another
Router connected to the Modem/Router.

Information from Ooma:
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/advance ... vice-ports
"Service Ports
Ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data (inbound also) and voice traffic:

UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194, UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443."

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests