Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#90767 by lite1
Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:13 pm
I am new to Ooma (Telo) and am considering the Mobile app - I do know that currently it does not work on iPhone 4S.

1) With Premier one gets 250 free USA minutes. How can you monitor how many free minutes you have in a billing cycle? Sales indicated something about cut and paste to Excel spreadsheet to calculate things. I deal with Excel a lot, but it does not seem that the Log Ooma provides allows for CSV or other easy export. The data does not seem to use " or other delimiter!! Is it fixed column, or tab delimited?

2) With iPhone I am on Verizon and my home phone is part of the free calls (via Friends and Family feature). For example, when away on biz or vacation if I set my home Ooma phone number to Forward calls to my cell number, is it conceivable that these calls would be free? Can't imagine that this would be the case, as I expect that my Verizon iPhone would "see" the incoming call as coming from "XYZ" and not coming from my home phone #.

3) My only motivation in getting the Ooma mobile app is to use the 250 free minutes and reduce the size of my family plan bucket. At least at this point I do not intend to use > 250 minutes. Any general comments on the Mobile app are appreciated or referrals to other threads. I have already some about issues with voice mail and simultaneous ring setup.

4) Is it possible to have other family members buy the Mobile app AND use the same account (my Ooma phone #)? If this is possible, what happens if two family members attempt to use the Mobile app at the same time.

Thanks for cutting my learning curve.
#90768 by lbmofo
Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:29 pm
lite1 wrote:I am new to Ooma (Telo) and am considering the Mobile app - I do know that currently it does not work on iPhone 4S.

1) With Premier one gets 250 free USA minutes. How can you monitor how many free minutes you have in a billing cycle? Sales indicated something about cut and paste to Excel spreadsheet to calculate things. I deal with Excel a lot, but it does not seem that the Log Ooma provides allows for CSV or other easy export. The data does not seem to use " or other delimiter!! Is it fixed column, or tab delimited? The calls will show up in Prepaid section; no way to export logs right now. No good way to tell how many of 250 min you used either.

2) With iPhone I am on Verizon and my home phone is part of the free calls (via Friends and Family feature). For example, when away on biz or vacation if I set my home Ooma phone number to Forward calls to my cell number, is it conceivable that these calls would be free? Can't imagine that this would be the case, as I expect that my Verizon iPhone would "see" the incoming call as coming from "XYZ" and not coming from my home phone #. Forwarded calls will reflect callerid of originating caller, not your home phone.

3) My only motivation in getting the Ooma mobile app is to use the 250 free minutes and reduce the size of my family plan bucket. At least at this point I do not intend to use > 250 minutes. Any general comments on the Mobile app are appreciated or referrals to other threads. I have already some about issues with voice mail and simultaneous ring setup. No incoming calls on the Ooma app as of now. Outgoing is a great option when traveling overseas whenever there is wifi. Also, people use the app to access their bucket of international plan minutes or prepaid account whereever there is wifi or 3G.

4) Is it possible to have other family members buy the Mobile app AND use the same account (my Ooma phone #)? If this is possible, what happens if two family members attempt to use the Mobile app at the same time. You can have more than 1 mobile app calls simultaneously. Once you buy the app once, you can have the app on multiple devices that syncs to your iTunes.

Thanks for cutting my learning curve.

iTunes purchases rule of thumb (for home only):

• As a consumer you can, for personal use, buy a single license for an App and install that on as many iOS devices you own or control. There is thus no need to buy an App multiple times just because you want to use it on your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
  • As a consumer you can authorize a single iTunes account on up to 5 computers. You can thus store your purchased Apps, music, etc. on up to 5 computers and synch iOS devices from those 5 computers. There is thus no need to buy an App multiple times just because you want to store and synch it from your laptop and your desktop computer.
  • As a consumer you can authorize a single computer for more than one iTunes account and then synch Apps from up to 5 iTunes accounts to your iOS devices. On the iOS devices in the Store section of the Settings app you can log out of one iTunes account, log into another iTunes account and then purchase or redownload Apps using the App Store app. It is thus possible to put Apps on your kid's iPod touch that you purchased with your iTunes account as well as those your wife purchased with her iTunes account.
#90770 by lite1
Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:20 pm
Thanks, that significantly cuts my learning curve ... my only outstanding ? then is since you can have the Mobile app on several iDevices, "What happens if two family members attempt to use the Mobile app at the same time?" Hopefully the 2nd person attempting things does not kill someone else's call in progress.
#90772 by lbmofo
Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:31 pm
You must have missed it... You can have more than 1 mobile app calls simultaneously; you can be on it talking and then your wife, kid can do the same with another device.
#90773 by lite1
Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:41 pm
Thx for your patience - the multiple Mobile app simultaneous phone calls was right their in your orig reply. This is pretty sweet way to reduce cell phone calling costs.