Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#89003 by van027
Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:23 am
I've had the Telo for about 5 days. I can call local numbers (214 and 972, with 10 digit dialing), toll-free numbers, and a few area codes around the US. I can't get through to 254-445-xxxx numbers. The recipient hears the ring, answers and can hear me (saying Hello? into the silence), but I can't hear them. I've tried dialing with 1+, and tried unplugging the Telo for 30 minutes. I haven't tried the *96 *98 *99 options, because I don't understand how that will help. I've called a 254 area code cell phone number, and it worked fine. And the 254-445-xxxx number can call my Ooma line without a problem. My folks are getting a little tired of my calling experiments. Also, under System Preferences, I've never gotten "Enable 10 Digit Dialing" to save. Is that part of the problem?
#89006 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:19 am
van027 wrote:I've had the Telo for about 5 days. I can call local numbers (214 and 972, with 10 digit dialing), toll-free numbers, and a few area codes around the US. I can't get through to 254-445-xxxx numbers. The recipient hears the ring, answers and can hear me (saying Hello? into the silence), but I can't hear them. I've tried dialing with 1+, and tried unplugging the Telo for 30 minutes. I haven't tried the *96 *98 *99 options, because I don't understand how that will help. I've called a 254 area code cell phone number, and it worked fine. And the 254-445-xxxx number can call my Ooma line without a problem. My folks are getting a little tired of my calling experiments. Also, under System Preferences, I've never gotten "Enable 10 Digit Dialing" to save. Is that part of the problem?

For a temporary work around Ooma suggests the you use *98 or *96 for dialing numbers that won't go through otherwise. Ooma Telo dialing with *98 or *96 uses a larger Codec bandwidth or different configuration.

I had some luck with this problem by powering off the Ooma Telo for 20 minutes, then repowering. But it only lasted for a short period of time. Ooma had to fix my problem.

In all cases when having this problem, you must report it to Ooma Customer Support, or otherwise it will never be corrected for you.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#89032 by van027
Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:25 am
Thank you.
I sent an e-mail to Ooma support today with the text of my forum message.
Also, I tried one call to the 254-445-xxxx number, using *98, and it worked!
I'll use *98 until the problem can be resolved.
#89739 by van027
Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:40 pm
Since I last wrote, I've been using *96 and *98 with good connections.
Today I tried calling the 254 area code without the *, and it worked fine, for a few minutes.
Each attempted redialed call terminated after about 9 minutes, even when I dialed *96 or *98.
Now...my land line number ported today (after only 2+ days), a few hours after my last disconnect. I'll wait and see if maybe the porting process was a part of the problem with the calls.
#89820 by van027
Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:31 am
An update. My landline number ported on Friday, the day of my last entry. I can only guess that the dropped calls were the result of Ooma or my landline provider trying to complete the process while I was using the phone. Since then I've had good luck calling my problem area code even without the *96 etc. dial-around. Even better, the porting process took only 49 hours and 15 minutes, start to finish. And my landline is blissfully silent. Good job, Ooma! Thunderbird, thanks for your assistance.
#90516 by bryanlyle
Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:53 am
thunderbird wrote:Ooma had to fix my problem.

Thunderbird, what did Ooma have to do to correct this ? My parents are having issues calling one particular number. It either never connects (rings and then silence, or silence) or takes forever to connect.

Thanks!
Bryan
#90519 by thunderbird
Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:18 am
bryanlyle wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Ooma had to fix my problem.

Thunderbird, what did Ooma have to do to correct this ? My parents are having issues calling one particular number. It either never connects (rings and then silence, or silence) or takes forever to connect.

Thanks!
Bryan

I don't know what Ooma did to fix my problem. Some magic on their side.

Some things to try:
Make sure that ten digit calling is enabled in My Ooma, https://my.ooma.com/system in your parents My Ooma Profile.

This issue may be related to relate to Caller ID blocking. Check My Ooma and make sure that your parents outbound Caller Id blocking is not enabled. https://my.ooma.com/privacy

If you hear a fast busy signal, if you wait 5-10 seconds after the fast busy, the call apparently does connect.

Press # after the number dialed to put the call through immediately. Example: 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx#

For an Ooma Telo using *96 and *98 has helped some people. Example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
For an Ooma Hub use *99
#90522 by bryanlyle
Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:00 am
Thanks Thunderbird.

I've had Ooma for almost 3 years now and have had 2 - 3 issues. They've had their Telo for 4 days now and have had 3 (all minor) issues.