Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#88692 by rich t
Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:26 am
I just noticed that when my trial period of ooma premium expired, I lost caller ID as far as displaying the name is concerned.
It only shows the phone number.
I don't consider this caller ID, I guess ooma does.
If I knew this prior to purchasing, It would have made a difference in my choice.
What does "caller ID" mean to the average person??
Rich T
#88693 by murphy
Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:10 am
Years ago when I was on Verizon they had two separate products for their land line business.
Caller ID
Caller ID with name

The second option cost more than the first.
If you didn't purchase one of them you got no caller ID at all.

Most modern phones have built-in phone books.
I never see the incoming caller ID name for the people that are in my phones contact list.
The phone matches the phone number and displays it's own data.
#89350 by Sunflowers
Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:06 am
Rich T,
I am with you on this one. 'Caller ID' means name and number. Just the number should be called 'number ID,' because it truly isn't caller ID. I tried to find out BEFORE I got the Telo whether what Ooma calls caller ID displays the name and number, because I had read on Amazon in an older message that only premium service got the name. Unfortunately, when I asked about this issue, I was not able to get a direct answer. I have since found this post which clarifies that premium service is required to get the name (http://www.ooma.com/app/support/caller-id-issues). If you don't have premium service, the only way to get the name is to have it in your phone's address book along with the number.
#89378 by rmeden
Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:57 pm
Sorry guys, but I think Ooma deserves a break here...

The ILEC's named the product called Caller-ID, that was number only.
Then they added "Caller-id Name and Number" for extra
Then they added "Call Waiting Id" for extra. (last ILEC plan I was on included Call waiting, Caller-id, Caller-id name and number, but *NOT* Call waiting ID!)

Ooma didn't make the names up, so it's you can't criticize them for using industry standard names.

Ooma still gives you Call Waiting-ID, Call Waiting, and Ooma phonebook lookup for free. That's more than any ILEC does and certainly a good deal. If you want more, go Premier... Ooma has to make money somewhere.

Robert
#89429 by FreePhone
Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:22 pm
I have a 1st generation Ooma Core system, so I don't pay the taxes and also get caller number/name free without the Premium service.

But Caller ID has always been number only. The name thing is an added bonus and not normally free.
#89432 by Sunflowers
Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:56 pm
Yes, but the service that you have does NOT apply to new people. With caller ID with name, which many of us who want caller ID require, the annual cost of Ooma is:

$ 120 premium service ($10/month)
12 annual fee (some kind of tax or fee)
42 taxes ($3.5/month)
--------------------------------------------------
$ 175 annually, which equates to
$ 15/month, rounded

The Telo costs about $200. Amortizing its cost over a period of 12 or 18 months gives a true cost of the service of:
12 months: $17/month + 15/month = $32/month
18 months: $11/month + 15/month = $26/month

The cost of the service is really between $26 to $32/month. One could argue over the useful life of the Telo. Obviously, the longer it lasts, the lower the actual monthly cost, all other things being equal. Since it is only warranted for one year, I believe using the 12-month amortization, leading to a $32/month figure, is reasonable.

For those of us who are new customers who use the premium service, the true cost of the service is about $32/month.
#89443 by lbmofo
Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:22 pm
Premier is $119.99 a year and taxes are $3.47 a month = $13.47 a month for Premier & taxes. $11.75 tax folks are being phased into the $3.47 monthly taxes; folks pay either, not both.

Even if you want to spreadout the intial cost of Telo @$200 throughout the first 12 month, that's $16.66 + $13.47 = $30.14/month for the first year and you are down to paying $13.47 for fantastic premium service starting the 13th month. Can't beat it.