Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#88678 by podil63
Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:52 pm
Hello and good evening. Recently we have been bothered by an issue with our Telo unit that I haven't been able to solve as of yet. We no longer have landline service from our local phone company. Our service is strictly through Ooma only. Over the last week we have run into a reoccurring problem. It seems that we keep losing the dial tone and the ability to place and receive phone calls throughout the house with the exception of one of the 2 handsets ( a Telo handset ) that we have in the basement... we have no problem with that one. Now that one has a different phone number associated with it than those in the rest of the house. I am an Ooma premier customer so we have 2 lines of service in the home. The handset that we are not having a problem with has our secondary number associated with it. It is our primary number that we're having issues with. Over the past week I have reset both the Telo unit as well as the integrated router with the hopes of solving our issue. Sometimes rebooting both works and other times it doesn't. Yesterday morning I had to reboot both because we lost phone service in all phones except the one Telo handset downstairs. Fortunately after doing this our service was restored for the most of the day. We received a phone call in the evening and all phones rang only once. I picked up one of the handsets and heard nothing. At first I thought someone had the wrong number. But a short time later I again picked up one of the handsets and all I heard was a busy signal. Every phone had the message on its screen: Line in use or check telephone line. Again I had to reset both the Telo unit and the integrated router. It worked again until this morning. Service went down again. It's been out all day except, again, for the handset that has the secondary number associated with it. That one has never been down. So I tried to reset each unit again this morning but this time with no success. That is until about 5 minutes ago when, much to my surprise, someone called and all the phones rang like normal. I had rebooted both units earlier this evening but with no success at that time. But now all seems okay. I'm just afraid that later this evening our service will go south once again. All lights on the Telo unit are blue which, to me, would indicate all is working normally with it. I love the ooma service when it is working as it should. But over the last week things have been rather shaky with the it. If anyone has any suggestions about how to solve this issue I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.
#88679 by murphy
Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:55 pm
Did you physically disconnect the phone line where it comes into your house? If you didn't you are asking the Telo to feed a phone signal all of the way back to your old phone company's central office. That is a much larger load than it was designed to handle.
#88680 by podil63
Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:03 pm
Yes the phone line ( landline ) was disconnected over a month ago. I have removed all the old outside wiring from the phone company. I only have wire coming into the house that carries the signal for the TV and the internet.
#88681 by thunderbird
Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:11 pm
podil63:
First Try this.
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next:
For troubleshooting, you could temporarily disconnect the phone line at the Ooma Telo phone port at the back of the unit, leaving the house wiring disconnected. Then connect only one corded phone to the Ooma Telo phone port, and test the Ooma Telo phone system for a short period of time, to see if the house wiring may be loading down the Ooma Telo, or there is a different problem with the Ooma Telo itself.
#88684 by podil63
Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:37 pm
Thanks for the info. I'll give this a try and see how it works. Thanks.
#88695 by podil63
Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:38 am
Thanks Thunderbird. I tried your suggestion earlier today and it worked so far. I'll keep you posted if our phone service goes south again any time soon.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests