Fast busy on 800 numbers

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
akajustm
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Fast busy on 800 numbers

Post by akajustm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:36 pm

So today I am no longer able to call 800 (866, 877 or 888 numbers) all I get is a fast busy. This makes calling Ooma technical support impossible. I have tried about a dozen different 800 numbers and all I get is a fast busy.
So what does one do when you can't call technical support to report that you can't call them? Sales via chat wasn't helpful.

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Fast busy on 800 numbers

Post by thunderbird » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:47 pm

roadchild wrote:So today I am no longer able to call 800 (866, 877 or 888 numbers) all I get is a fast busy. This makes calling Ooma technical support impossible. I have tried about a dozen different 800 numbers and all I get is a fast busy.
So what does one do when you can't call technical support to report that you can't call them? Sales via chat wasn't helpful.
Try calling with a *99 in front of the number for the Oomo Hub.
Try Calling with a *99, *98 or *96 infront of the number if you have an Ooma Telo.
Example: *99-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

If that doesn't work, remove power from the Ooma device for 20 minutes and then test. You may have to repeat this procedure up to three times.

akajustm
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Fast busy on 800 numbers

Post by akajustm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:52 pm

I have a hub and I did try the *99, I even tried the *98 and *96 and it was a no go. I'll go the unplugging route now. This is happening on both of my hubs, any idea why?

Okay first power cycle complete and still going to fast busy.

Second power cycle complete and still going to fast busy.
Last edited by akajustm on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Fast busy on 800 numbers

Post by thunderbird » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:40 pm

roadchild wrote:I have a hub and I did try the *99, I even tried the *98 and *96 and it was a no go. I'll go the unplugging route now. This is happening on both of my hubs, any idea why?

Okay first power cycle complete and still going to fast busy.
Can you call all other outbound numbers okay?

Can you call from like a cell phone inbound to each of the Ooma Hubs?

You could send an E-mail to Ooma Customer Support if removing power for 20 minutes procedures don't work:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

akajustm
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Fast busy on 800 numbers

Post by akajustm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:54 pm

thunderbird wrote: Can you call all other outbound numbers okay?
Yes, no issues with local or long distance numbers, this appears to be strictly a 800 number issue and on both hubs.
thunderbird wrote:Can you call from like a cell phone inbound to each of the Ooma Hubs?
Yes and regular landlines, inbound calls don't seem to have any issue.
thunderbird wrote:You could send an E-mail to Ooma Customer Support if removing power for 20 minutes procedures don't work:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Looks like that's what I'm going to have to do and that depresses me since everytime I contact them via email they either don't respond or the support is even worse than what I've encountered via phone. :(
Not being able to call 800 numbers is kind of serious, I didn't realize how many of them I called on a regular basis but I found that I needed to call 6 different numbers today and none are working. Granted today isn't typical (flight arrangements and moving issues) but still.

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Fast busy on 800 numbers

Post by thunderbird » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:07 pm

roadchild:
When you E-mail, be sure to include your Hub phone numbers.

Maybe cut and paste out of your call log, some of the 8xx numbers that you were unable to reach, into your E-mail message.

akajustm
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Fast busy on 800 numbers

Post by akajustm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Okay power cycle 3, I tested it by calling 1800-444-4444 and it worked. I hung up and called again just to be sure and fast busy. So 3 power cycles let me make 1 800 call.
Sending an email now.

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Fast busy on 800 numbers

Post by thunderbird » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:37 pm

roadchild wrote:Okay power cycle 3, I tested it by calling 1800-444-4444 and it worked. I hung up and called again just to be sure and fast busy. So 3 power cycles let me make 1 800 call.
Sending an email now.
While you are waiting for Ooma Support to respond, if you have time, I'd do the Ooma 20 minute power off, and repower again procedure, becuase it appears that you were close. Maybe even wait longer than 20 minutes.

What is your area code, not phone number, just area code?
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ehl1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:29 am

Re: Fast busy on 800 numbers

Post by ehl1 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:32 am

Hey guys-
I am having the same exact issue.
I just called Ooma customer support and they claimed Ooma does not support 800/866/877/888 numbers???

I accepted the answer, but then I remembered I fax all the time using an 866 number, so this is clearly not true.

How can they have customer service agents that say this???

I am trying to 20 minute power off approach - not sure why I would have to do this

Very disappointing on multiple fronts

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Fast busy on 800 numbers

Post by thunderbird » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:12 pm

ehl1 wrote:Hey guys-
I am having the same exact issue.
I just called Ooma customer support and they claimed Ooma does not support 800/866/877/888 numbers???

I accepted the answer, but then I remembered I fax all the time using an 866 number, so this is clearly not true.

How can they have customer service agents that say this???

I am trying to 20 minute power off approach - not sure why I would have to do this

Very disappointing on multiple fronts
Removing power from the the Ooma device allows time for the Ooma servers to rebuild/restore your Ooma profile. If there is an error in the software, it will in many cases correct the error.

What is your area code? Not phone number, just area code.

Post Reply