What happens during a power failure?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
r0k

What happens during a power failure?

Post by r0k » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:43 am

I'm considering sticking with the basic plan but it doesn't include forwarding to a backup number during a power failure. Do calls go to voicemail during a power failure, do they simply keep ringing or do they get some sort of fast busy or error message?
-r0k

Mostly Mac user.

lbmofo

Re: What happens during a power failure?

Post by lbmofo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:55 am

Goes to VM.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

r0k

Post by r0k » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:07 pm

So Ooma voicemail lives on a server somewhere? So my Ooma Telo can be damaged in a flood or other accident, I can simply activate a new one and my voicemail is still there? So I can unplug my Ooma Telo, call my number (on basic service with forwarding disabled) and my calls will still go to voicemail with my Ooma Tel offline?

I'm asking all this because we have had 8 power failures lasting 6 hours or longer in 2011 alone. Even the best battery backup units tend to run out after 4 hours even when the only load is the cable modem, router and Ooma Telo. Also during about half of those power failures, Comcast's equipment was knocked out as well so even if I had a generator, I had no internet.
-r0k

Mostly Mac user.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:59 pm

Yes, you are correct. Get to your VM from any phone calling your own number or get it from my.ooma.com.

Cyberchat

Post by Cyberchat » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 am

r0k wrote:I'm considering sticking with the basic plan but it doesn't include forwarding to a backup number during a power failure. Do calls go to voicemail during a power failure, do they simply keep ringing or do they get some sort of fast busy or error message?
As other's have replied, you messages will go to Voice Mail when your Telo unit is detected as being offline by the Ooma service.

If you use the Preferences/Forwarding feature, you can have your phone calls automatically forwarded to any telephone number of your choosing (for instance, your cell phone) when your Telo is offline (local network outage).
First year: Modem-->OomaTelo-->Router
Now: Modem-->Router-->OomaTelo
Ooma Premier, two phone numbers
Ooma Handset
AT&T DECT-6.0 two-line base with four remotes & headset

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:30 am

Cyberchat wrote:If you use the Preferences/Forwarding feature, you can have your phone calls automatically forwarded to any telephone number of your choosing (for instance, your cell phone) when your Telo is offline (local network outage).
Keep in mind, this doesn't kick in until 18 minutes later or so. Before that, VM.