Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#86996 by Lord Vader
Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:21 am
It's bad enough my multi-ring forwarding doesn't work, now it turns out that when I make calls to numbers , I get disconnected after a few seconds. However, this problem exists, it appears, only when I'm trying to call a Vonage number, like my parents or my sister. Calls to other numbers work.

This is ridiculous. In the 6 1/2 years I had Vonage, I NEVER experienced a single problem. I get Ooma, and it's one problem after another.
#87005 by thunderbird
Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:10 pm
Lord Vader wrote:It's bad enough my multi-ring forwarding doesn't work, now it turns out that when I make calls to numbers , I get disconnected after a few seconds. However, this problem exists, it appears, only when I'm trying to call a Vonage number, like my parents or my sister. Calls to other numbers work.

This is ridiculous. In the 6 1/2 years I had Vonage, I NEVER experienced a single problem. I get Ooma, and it's one problem after another.

Try using *99 first before dialing the Vonage number if you have an Ooma Hub.
You could try using *99, *98, or *96 if you have an Ooma Telo.
Example: *99-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

There have been reports that some people say they only have to call using the *96, *98, or *99 prefex only one time, and then after that the calls go through normally.

Test and let us know.
#87006 by Lord Vader
Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:24 pm
Well, after deducing that this was related to my being a recently ported from Vonage customer, and my parents still being an active Vonage customer, I officially canceled my Vonage service completely today (I wanted to wait until my # ported, and that was finalized yesterday early evening). A few minutes after doing this, I called my parents' two Vonage lines and was successful in getting through. I can only surmise that the original issue had to do with Vonage.

Now, hopefully, Vonage can figure out the remaining issue, that being why when my parents call from either of their two lines they can't get through. Fortunately, Vonage is working on that.
#87008 by thunderbird
Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:30 pm
Lord Vader:
You have probably done this already but it often helps right after a number has been ported.
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.
#87013 by murphy
Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:53 pm
Lord Vader wrote:Now, hopefully, Vonage can figure out the remaining issue, that being why when my parents call from either of their two lines they can't get through. Fortunately, Vonage is working on that.

Vonage has to completely remove your number from their system before anyone that is on Vonage will be able to call you.
It's best to have a current Vonage customer complain that they can't reach a known working number. They tend to ignore complaints by ex customers.
#87015 by Lord Vader
Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:11 pm
That's what my father did shortly after I called Vonage and completely canceled my number now that it had been ported. A Vonage technician actually then called me to explain my father called him. He was very friendly and said he put in a ticket to have my # removed from their computers so that my parents, current Vonage customers, could call me without any problems. I have to admit, this Vonage tech was quite friendly and cooperative.