Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#86345 by gtdurham
Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:43 am
I have asked technical support to disable my voice mail being that I want to use my own answering machine and to disable call waiting as well. It appears that they have done this, but now when someone calls me and I'm on the phone, I don't hear the call waiting beep, but they still hear the ringing instead of getting a busy signal and it will keep ringing until they hang up. Isn't there some way to get this setup so they get a busy signal?
#86348 by murphy
Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:00 am
Since their normal mode is to go to voicemail they may not have the hardware/software configured to generate a busy signal.
#86356 by Leeway
Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:23 pm
I don't know about the call waiting because I like mine. But I use both my phone answering system and my Ooma answering system. I prefer it that way and love the flexibility.

I have mine set to 4 rings to pickup. I have my Ooma answering set to 6 rings.

Mine works first and the calls go to my Panasonic answer machine. Why do I have the Ooma set to 6 you ask? Well, if I am on my phone and I hear a flash tone, I can glance at the display and see who it is. If it is just a chat or an information kind of phone call, I don't always use the flash feature but rather just keep talking and the waiting caller goes into my Ooma answering device after he/she hears the six rings. When I am done with my current call, I can just listen to the Ooma message. Sometimes it is simply a friend calling with information regarding a meeting or driving directions.

Donna
#86381 by EricJRW
Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:38 am
Good idea Donna.
#86502 by Spiky
Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22 am
gtdurham wrote:I have asked technical support to disable my voice mail being that I want to use my own answering machine and to disable call waiting as well. It appears that they have done this, but now when someone calls me and I'm on the phone, I don't hear the call waiting beep, but they still hear the ringing instead of getting a busy signal and it will keep ringing until they hang up. Isn't there some way to get this setup so they get a busy signal?

I'm really trying to get past these two comments. You do understand that if you turn a feature off, it won't work.

My setup is similar to Donna's. Although I actually keep both voicemails active for a different reason. And with the automatic call forwarding for errors, there is really a third voicemail via my cell phone. Here's my reasons:

1) Uniden phone system voicemail picks up normal calls.
2) Ooma voicemail picks up if the Uniden has failed. (or when 2nd call comes up)
3) Cell phone picks up if the Telo has failed and Ooma forwards to my cell.

Note that "failed" can mean:
switched off by tiny fingers (children like pushing buttons)
power outage
someone tripped over a cord, ripping it out
actual hardware issue
#86503 by gtdurham
Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:27 am
I understand all the different scenarios. My point is that if I disable call waiting, there's no way for people that are calling me to know that I'm on the phone by getting a busy signal. All they get is continuous ringing. They think that my voice mail isn't working!
#86532 by Leeway
Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:27 am
Well your voice mail isn't working. Your callers are getting the correct 'information' constant ringing.

Turn on both answering devices the way Spiky and I do. The people calling you will at least get an answering machine message. Heck, just record your Ooma message to tell them you are on another call. Something like this.

"sorry I'm on another call right now, I'll call you right back".

Now, if you are on your phone your machine won't pick it up. It would go to the Ooma answering service if they call while you are on the phone and they would hear the above message which is better than just ringing.

You just need to think out of the box for this one. It's all there one way or the other.

Donna
#86573 by mrbill16
Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 am
Help me understand. You purchased an Ooma device which provides answering machine type functions and then you want them disabled so you can use a standalone answering system? Does your answering machine record calls when you're on the phone? Does it send you email alerts when you have a message? I would guess not.

What am I missing? The Telo box mimics the functions of an answering machine. That's why I bought it because my wife is technology adverse and disliked the process of retrieving voicemails via the phone. Now she walks in the door and sees the red light flashing and pushes a button. She thinks it's great!

BTW, I have a bunch of 8 track tapes that may interest you :D .