Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#84273 by kenweise
Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:23 pm
While trying to setup my voicemail, it asks for a PIN between 4 and 20 characters. When i put in a 4 digit pin, it says that it is too short. Is this a bug? How long does it really need to be?

Ken
#84274 by murphy
Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:51 pm
My pin is 4 digits.
#84278 by kdmc69
Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:37 pm
murphy wrote:My pin is 4 digits.

As is mine.
#84284 by DDuckie
Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:06 am
I just tried to set ours up as well - with four then six numbers. About half of my attempts, while in the middle of trying to enter the PIN, I had the recording come on to tell me I'd entered a PIN that was too short.
#84287 by murphy
Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:28 am
Are you using a phone connected to the Phone port of the Ooma?
Are you sure that phone is set to tone dial and not pulse dial?
#84385 by kenweise
Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:07 am
Using my cordless phone, directly connected to the box did not work. Same error. In desperation, I pulled an old (circa 1984) corded Pacific Bell phone out of a dusty box in the basement. It worked just fine. Now I am all set up.
#84531 by DDuckie
Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:42 am
I tried again shortly after posting and had no problems getting the PIN to set. :)
#84853 by Hosadyna
Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:38 am
I'm having this same problem. I have tried 4 digit, 5 digit & 6 digit numbers....I've tried three different kinds of telephones, newer corded, cordless and even dug an old one out of the closet like someone else did and got the same "The code you are trying to enter is too short" message. It's even now saying the too short message before I can even attempt to enter any numbers, too short or not.

I tried calling the support number, but after nearly 15 minutes of the woman asking me the same questions over and over with no end in site, I got a bit frustrated plus I really didn't think it would take that long and had to hang up to go to an appointment.

I'm not quite sure what to do next. I can technically access my messages via the computer, email and the Ooma unit, but can't figure out a way to change my outgoing voicemail message without completing this set up.
#84873 by thunderbird
Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:49 pm
Hosadyna wrote:I'm having this same problem. I have tried 4 digit, 5 digit & 6 digit numbers....I've tried three different kinds of telephones, newer corded, cordless and even dug an old one out of the closet like someone else did and got the same "The code you are trying to enter is too short" message. It's even now saying the too short message before I can even attempt to enter any numbers, too short or not.

I tried calling the support number, but after nearly 15 minutes of the woman asking me the same questions over and over with no end in site, I got a bit frustrated plus I really didn't think it would take that long and had to hang up to go to an appointment.

I'm not quite sure what to do next. I can technically access my messages via the computer, email and the Ooma unit, but can't figure out a way to change my outgoing voicemail message without completing this set up.

Try E-mailing Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#84970 by mhmohlere
Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:08 am
I had the same problem. I emailed Ooma and they manually provided me a pin#. I used it to complete setup of my voicemail (recorded message, etc.). After completion I reaccessed the system to change my pin#. The message that I originally received "Your number is too short" was repeated. After several futile attempts to change my pin I called Ooma customer service. They told me I had to reboot the Ooma Telo. No luck. The next call resulted in the transfer to a 2nd echelon of expertise. They manually changed my pin to the 4 digit # that I gave them. I'm satisfied but to my knowledge the systemic problem still exists. I sent an email to Ooma with that concern.