Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#82434 by arnie
Sun May 29, 2011 6:30 am
I have had the Telos for about 3 months now. Calls randomly drop; it sporadicly refuses to work; cannot reset the thing (website Troubleshooting is worthless) and no, calling customer service when your phone isn't working is not an option. So here are my questions:

1. How does this thing get reset? I read that unplugging it is supposed to do that --- yeah that does not work.
2. Why does it just stop working despite all the lights being on?
#82436 by murphy
Sun May 29, 2011 6:49 am
First it's a Telo, not a Telos.

We need more information about your configuration.

DSL, cable, ?

modem - Telo - router
or
modem - router - Telo

Have you edited the Telo's setup page to use the built-in MAC address?

Have you run quality tests of your internet connection?
#82438 by thunderbird
Sun May 29, 2011 7:32 am
arnie:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

If you still have problems after accomplishing the step above, list those problems in another post. someone will tell you how to make corrections for those problems.
#82522 by arnie
Tue May 31, 2011 11:21 am
thunderbird wrote:arnie:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

If you still have problems after accomplishing the step above, list those problems in another post. someone will tell you how to make corrections for those problems.

My connection is modem-router-ooma. I followed your above suggestion and the problem lingers. FWIW, my ISP is Time Warner Road Runner.
#82523 by thunderbird
Tue May 31, 2011 12:13 pm
arnie wrote:My connection is modem-router-ooma. I followed your above suggestion and the problem lingers. FWIW, my ISP is Time Warner Road Runner.

Use the next two steps ONLY for Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
Next: if the problem continues reserve a static IP address for the Ooma device in your router and test.

Next: if the problem continues place the static IP address for the Ooma device in your router DMZ and test.

If you continue to have problems:
You could run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, and post the following here: (Do this test not during but right after you are having problems hearing).
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#82543 by arnie
Tue May 31, 2011 5:58 pm
thunderbird wrote:
arnie wrote:My connection is modem-router-ooma. I followed your above suggestion and the problem lingers. FWIW, my ISP is Time Warner Road Runner.

Use the next two steps ONLY for Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
Next: if the problem continues reserve a static IP address for the Ooma device in your router and test.

Next: if the problem continues place the static IP address for the Ooma device in your router DMZ and test.

If you continue to have problems:
You could run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, and post the following here: (Do this test not during but right after you are having problems hearing).
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

How does one reserve an IP address?
#82556 by thunderbird
Tue May 31, 2011 9:02 pm
arnie wrote:How does one reserve an IP address?

Your Router instructions should tell you how to reserve a static IP address or obtain a lease, or get a reservation, for your Ooma device's MAC address, in your Router.

Note: Some, a little bit older, Routers doesn't have a static IP address function where you can reserve a lease, reservation, static IP address, etc. for the Ooma device's MAC address in the router.