Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#79108 by verkuilb
Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 am
I've been having nothing but trouble with Ooma lately. To the point where my wife is close to demanding I throw it out. But I'm hoping to first be able to figure out the issues.

Today's issue--When my wife calls our Ooma phone number, my cell phone is ringing instead. If we had call forwarding, that might be just fine. But we don't. We don't have Premier at all.

My 9-year-old daughter is alone at home for about half an hour each morning, and my wife and I need to be able to call her during that time. Today, it's not working because of this issue. Yesterday, we couldn't call her and she couldn't call us because the "1" on the Ooma device had turned orange instead of blue, for reasons completely unknown. Our daughter didn't know that it could be reset by unplugging it for a couple minutes and replugging it, and we couldn't reach her to tell her because of the problem. We've had occasional similar problems in the past three months which we've owned it. Is this kind of shoddy uptime reliability the norm??? We're close to abandoning the Ooma and using it as a boat anchor instead.

Does anyone know what would cause the Ooma to do call forwarding when we don't have or want that service???
#79111 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:42 am
Hello and welcome. Your situation isn't the norm.

Not sure what's going on with the forwards; may call into customer service to find out why forwarding is taking place even though you don't have Premier.

During Premier trial, if you had call forwarding on network outage setup, you may still have that same setting leftover.

I think you are losing internet connection to your Ooma periodically. To try to resolve that, do the "built in modem port MAC address" in this post: viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

If you have time, go through this post on voice quality: viewtopic.php?t=10023
#79115 by tomcat
Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:03 am
verkuilb wrote:Yesterday, we couldn't call her and she couldn't call us because the "1" on the Ooma device had turned orange instead of blue, for reasons completely unknown.

Just an added note: the "1" being orange normally indicates the line is in use. Could indicate a wiring issue or a phone not hanging up properly. Not sure why resetting the telo would fix it, but thought I would throw this out there anyway.
#79116 by ntoy
Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:06 am
verkuilb wrote:I've been having nothing but trouble with Ooma lately. To the point where my wife is close to demanding I throw it out. But I'm hoping to first be able to figure out the issues.

Today's issue--When my wife calls our Ooma phone number, my cell phone is ringing instead. If we had call forwarding, that might be just fine. But we don't. We don't have Premier at all.

My 9-year-old daughter is alone at home for about half an hour each morning, and my wife and I need to be able to call her during that time. Today, it's not working because of this issue. Yesterday, we couldn't call her and she couldn't call us because the "1" on the Ooma device had turned orange instead of blue, for reasons completely unknown. Our daughter didn't know that it could be reset by unplugging it for a couple minutes and replugging it, and we couldn't reach her to tell her because of the problem. We've had occasional similar problems in the past three months which we've owned it. Is this kind of shoddy uptime reliability the norm??? We're close to abandoning the Ooma and using it as a boat anchor instead.

Does anyone know what would cause the Ooma to do call forwarding when we don't have or want that service???

Hello,

Looks like the call forward on network outage is enabled. I tried a manual push to your box, but it looks like your box is behind a firewall or port blocking. The last successful update was 2/19/2011. Can try powering off your telo for a couple of minutes before powering back up.
#79139 by thunderbird
Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:07 pm
verkuilb:
If your Ooma device is connected behind your router and you aren't receiving your Ooma firmware updates, or are loosing partial communications with Ooma, you may have to Reserve a static IP address for your Ooma device in your router, than place the Ooma static IP address in your router's DMZ.