Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#78549 by Sharpnd
Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:01 am
I currently have a support ticket open with the same issue, but I'm trying to see if anyone else is having the same issue.

Setup:
Modem > Ooma Telo > Router
We have the Ooma Telo attached to a multiple cordless phone base station. The cordless phones that we are using are Vtech DS6321-3 DECT 6.0. I have also tried using a single cordless phone and the issue seems to persist.

I can reproduce the problem EVERY single time by doing the following:

I will make a phone call, the call then HAS to go to some sort of voice mail or automatic system for the problem to happen. Then, I'll hang up (after leaving a message or being connected to the automatic system), immediately go to make a second call and I receive the message: "The instant second line is only avialable with Ooma premiere services". I then hang up, and a few seconds later, my phone will start to ring with a broken tone, I pick it up and I'm connected back to the voice mail box that I had called, or the automatic system (say, a customer service type automatic system).

However, if I make a normal call, talking with a person, hang up, and immediately make a call after, it works perfectly fine.

The problem seems to lie on Ooma's end as it only happens under the circumstances I mentioned above.

Is anyone else having this problem? If additional information is needed, please let me know and I'll post back as soon as I can!

Thank you.
#78551 by southsound
Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:12 am
This has come up before. Short of finding that post, here is what is happening in a nutshell. The automated voicemail or other system is not releasing the line immediately so the ooma connection stays live for a few seconds or until the called system does release the line. If you pause for just a couple seconds after hanging up the call, I think you will find the problem goes away.
#78552 by ntoy
Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:16 am
Hello,

Your account shows basic(single line) service.
Calls do not terminate immediately. Upon hanging up, the call takes a few seconds to hangup.
Immediately hanging up & picking up will attempt to go to a 2nd line & hearing the message that this is a premier service is normal.
#78553 by murphy
Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 am
Do you use the voice mail systems hang up (exit) code or do you just hang up and let the voice mail system figure out that the connection has been terminated? Until the voice mail system hangs up you can't make another call because your line is still busy.

I don't know if it's still true or not but it used to be, a very long time ago, that on a land line to land line call the called party could lock up your line for a very long time by not hanging up.
#78565 by Sharpnd
Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:15 pm
Thank you for the replies everyone.

ntoy wrote:Hello,

Your account shows basic(single line) service.
Calls do not terminate immediately. Upon hanging up, the call takes a few seconds to hangup.
Immediately hanging up & picking up will attempt to go to a 2nd line & hearing the message that this is a premier service is normal.

We never had this problem while using Cox's telephone service. It's a little annoying when the wait almost takes 30 seconds for it to completely disconnect. Oh well, thank you for the answer!

murphy wrote:Do you use the voice mail systems hang up (exit) code or do you just hang up and let the voice mail system figure out that the connection has been terminated? Until the voice mail system hangs up you can't make another call because your line is still busy.

I don't know if it's still true or not but it used to be, a very long time ago, that on a land line to land line call the called party could lock up your line for a very long time by not hanging up.

I hang up, and was under the impression that that would terminate the call. Not all voicemails/automatic systems have the option to press a button to end the recording.
#78585 by Sharpnd
Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:26 pm
thunderbird wrote:Check and see if you have Ooma Telo 45073 Fimware Release. Dial *#*#001 to hear the firmware version.

If so test and see if you still have the problem and let us know.

Hi,

I checked on the Ooma device page, it says:

Device Status - Rev: 1.43368

Is there anyway to perform a manual upgrade? I tried power-cycling the unit but it didn't upgrade.
#78590 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:53 pm
Sharpnd wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Check and see if you have Ooma Telo 45073 Fimware Release. Dial *#*#001 to hear the firmware version.

If so test and see if you still have the problem and let us know.

Hi,

I checked on the Ooma device page, it says:

Device Status - Rev: 1.43368

Is there anyway to perform a manual upgrade? I tried power-cycling the unit but it didn't upgrade.

Unfortunately, no way to force an update. Just have to wait your turn.