Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#77501 by escondido
Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:24 pm
Hello Experts,

I have Ooma as a second line in my home (AT&T is my main land line). Ooma number is working fine at this point.

I do have one small problem with the Ooma number.

The problem is that I can not dial to my Ooma's number using the 7-digits dialing from both AT&T and Verizon phone numbers. Both AT&T and Verizon numbers are having the SAME area code as my Ooma's number. Both AT&T and Verizon will not complete the 7-digits dialing and asking me to dial a full 1+ area code + phone number. When I dialed 11-digits, the call came through to the Ooma's number. On the other hand, I can dial 7-digits from my Ooma to both of my AT&T and Verizon. Also, I can dial 7-digits between my AT&T and Verizon mumbers with no issue. I called Ooma, AT&T, and Verizon customer services and they all agree dthat 7-digits dialing should work as all numbers are local with respect to each other. All of the service reps. did not have a clue why it behaves this way and unabled to help any further.

Had I perform my Ooma setup correctly? Is there any settings I should perform on the Ooma's side? Any helps is appreciated.

Best Regards,

-Escondido
#77503 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:47 pm
Welcome Escondido. I suppose your Ooma setup behind the router worked well?

For your 7 digit dialing question, I have a thought. Take a look here: http://phones.whitepages.com/
Click on your area code and then do a browse of the different prefixes within the area code. Find out the city of your Verizon/AT&T number vs what your Ooma number says. I am thinking they are different.

If you just got your Ooma setup. You can assign a 2nd number during your Premier trial looking for area code - prefix that is of the same city as your Verizon/AT&T number. If you like the 2nd number better, you can call into customer service and have that made into your main number.
#77514 by escondido
Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:57 pm
lbmofo,

Thanks for a quick reply.

Yes, my Ooma hub unit works well after the Dlink DIR-655 router.

I did a phone look-up, and indeed that the Ooma number is listed in the same city as my AT&T and Verizon numbers (both of my AT&T and Verizon numbers have the same billing address as Ooma's number). The locality had been confirmed by Ooma, AT&T and Verizon customer service reps. All of them were puzzled and had no answer.

I have an older Ooma hub only (no scout), not the Telo unit. The 7-digit dialing from the Ooma's number to either AT&T/Verizon is fine. The issue is in the reverse direction.

Again, thanks for your help!

- Escondido