Answering machine funtion- Can I turn it off?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
40flash

Answering machine funtion- Can I turn it off?

Post by 40flash » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:49 pm

I am thinking about turning off the ooma answering machine function and using the answering machine function on my land line phone system. Is there a way to turn it off the answering machine function on the ooma hub?

lbmofo

Re: Answering machine funtion- Can I turn it off?

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm

I suppose you are in landline integration mode (you are using your landline # which is plugged into the wall port of Ooma)?

Are you able to check your landline service voicemail okay?

You can turn off the Ooma VM by calling into Ooma customer service at 1-888-711-OOMA.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

nextbond

Post by nextbond » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:21 am

If OOMA VM is turned off by calling them, can they turn it back on again (is there a fee for it) ?

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:40 am

nextbond wrote:If OOMA VM is turned off by calling them, can they turn it back on again (is there a fee for it) ?
I think they have stated that if you have it turned off, it is off permanantly.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:10 am

I wonder if it wouldn't be just as easy to set the Ooma answering machine, in My Ooma, to more rings than your other answering machine number of rings, so that your other answering machine will always pickup first?

40flash

Post by 40flash » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:40 pm

thunderbird wrote:I wonder if it wouldn't be just as easy to set the Ooma answering machine, in My Ooma, to more rings than your other answering machine number of rings, so that your other answering machine will always pickup first?
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that. I don't want to do a permanent change until I know my landline answering machine will work satisfactory.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:57 pm

40flash wrote:
thunderbird wrote:I wonder if it wouldn't be just as easy to set the Ooma answering machine, in My Ooma, to more rings than your other answering machine number of rings, so that your other answering machine will always pickup first?
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that. I don't want to do a permanent change until I know my landline answering machine will work satisfactory.
I have been doing this until a few days ago and it works great. Set OOMA number of rings at 4+ and the plug in phone/answ machine at something less. Works every time.

Edit: BTW My config/device is telo and no landline integration
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

terryh

Post by terryh » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:49 pm

I set my ooma voicemail to max ring = 59 seconds. That's 8-9 rings and should remove it from any chance of picking up. Been using Ooma for about 2 months and our other phone machine picks up all the messages fine.

nextbond

Post by nextbond » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:55 am

Good idea. Will try that too

Family members do not like OOMA in basement connected to router and retrieve it on DECT6 handset by calling the phone#, then press 1 to listen to new messages, press 1 again to listen to message.

Answering machine in kitchen is right there to listen to VM

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:15 am

nextbond wrote:Family members do not like OOMA in basement connected to router and retrieve it on DECT6 handset by calling the phone#, then press 1 to listen to new messages, press 1 again to listen to message.
I hit the button on my phone for VM (which dials our ooma number) and the messages play automatically. Don't remember if this is something I set up or if it was set by default.