Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#74942 by El Chancho
Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 pm
I have a cordless phone/answering machine. I want to use the answering message instead of the Telo because of the location. I set the Telo to answer after 10 rings and my answering machine to 6 rings. Problem is that the answering machine never picks up, but it does tell me that I have a voice message. I've even tried setting the machine to answer after two rings. The only message I can leave is on the Telo. Anyone have a suggestions? This is a real issue because my wife needs to check on her mother and she can hear the answering machine, but not the Telo. :?
#74947 by oom101
Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:44 pm
You have your phones and fax plugged into the PHONE jack of the Telo (left of pair looking at back of Telo)?

If you plug into the wires in the wall, they are disconnected from the outside telco wiring in the outside box, etc.?

You only have 3 or less (maybe 4) phone plugged into the Telo PHONE wires?

Try plugging the fax directly into the Telo PHONE jack, and see if it answers.
#74948 by oom101
Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:48 pm
By the way, if the answering machine says you have a message, then if there is a message, try turning on the answering machine speaker, or up the volume, etc., since you seem to be saying that it is working.
#74991 by El Chancho
Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:08 am
The answering machine is integrated into the cordless. Problem is that I need the answering machine in a location that is too far away from the modem. The answering machine will not pick up, but it does signal that I have a message. The message, however, is left on the Telo. There is no phone connected to the Telo. The only wires into the Telo is from the wall jack to the phone jack and to the internet. I may have to buy a cheapo answering machine.
#75030 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:24 pm
Seems like you are trying to use the phone/answering machine connected to your walljack yet your walljack is not setup to get Ooma dialtone yet.

I'd suggest doing the phone/aswering machine testing first. Connect your phone/answering machine directly to your Ooma's phone port and see if the answering machine behaves the way you want. Make sure to turn on answering machine "answer mode."

If you want the phone/answering machine plugged in a walljack somewhere else in the house, you'd need to distribute your Ooma dialtone throughout your house. You do that by first disconnecting your telephone company's wiring from your house wiring. Then distribute Ooma dialtone by connecting Ooma's phone port to a wall jack.

Important...again, before distributing Ooma dialtone, make sure you disconnect your house wiring from telephone company.

For your reading pleasure:

viewtopic.php?t=10553
viewtopic.php?t=6853
#75071 by El Chancho
Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:02 pm
I'm definately disconnected from the phone company and I get the Ooma dial tone on all my wall jacks throughout the house. The problem is still that my answering machine won't pick up nor will the phone ring. I've got 3 phones that won't ring and one phone that will. No phones are connected to the Ooma Telo device. However, if I try connecting any of these phones directly to the Telo, they will ring. Keep in mind that I can make calls and answer them (the call screening on one of my phones let's me know if I have an incoming call, but the phone won't ring) from any phone in the house. The Ooma support people tell me that I'm probably still connect to the phone company. How can this be true if I only get the Ooma dial tone and if I disconnect the Ooma completly, I get no dial tone. This situation is a real problem for me as the internet connection is in an inconvenient location and I would like to have my own answering machine and my phones ringing. I need help or my wife is going to shoot me for buying this thing. :cry:
#75072 by danlisman
Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:17 pm
El Chancho wrote:I'm definitely disconnected from the phone company ...
etc...

The house phone wiring must be physically disconnected from the phone company wiring. Just having the phone company turn off service is not sufficient. Is that what you have done??