Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#73984 by Oomaboy
Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:30 am
Have had Ooma for about 2.5 months.

1) For the first two months other than the occasional dropped call to Canada the only other problem is that when calling somebody about one county over--always the same person--they cannot hear us. They're used to this, so they just call us back.

2) Last week my wife made three calls to other people and says it would ring, then it would just stop ringing and could hear nothing

3) Today received a voicemail on our normal phone (its answering kicks in before ooma's voice) and I heard the message, it's about 90% garbled. Can hear their voice every second but for the remainder of the second there is a predictable "machine sound" coming in messing it up.

Any ideas on how to resolve these? I love the price of OOMA and honestly have already "sold" two of these units to friends (simply by telling them about it) with two more very interested. My wife is growing very impatient, though. What else can I try?

I have a reliable broadband connection. The OOMA device is hooked up directly to my cable modem, with the router and all other traffic hooked up to the OOMA device.
#74001 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:32 pm
The I/They can’t her Them/Me problems seems to have erupted in full force again. When this happens, what seems to be the best solution is for everyone to contact Ooma Customer service and report your symptoms.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#74398 by EA PA
Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:41 am
Tbird - You mention that the I / They cant here issue has returned in force.

Although my cell delay before connect issue is gone, I am still currently experiencing 10-20% of calls with the I / They cant here issue.

My question is; when did this used to happen on a larger scale? I am a new user and you seem to recall previous larger scale problems. If it was awhile back, was it an OOMA infrastructure issue or what? What resolved? Do you know?
#74404 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:26 am
ntoy 02-04-2011 wrote:Hello,

A carrier route change was made last night. When you have a moment to test, please post your results.

Thanks

Test you Ooma phone and see if the carrier route change helped in your situation.

This problem does seem to come in cycles. When enough people contact Ooma Support, than the problem seems to go away for most people.

Probably the people that still have problems have Quality of Service issues on their end, (with things that they can control, like defective wiring, defective phone, defective Modem, defective Ooma device, defective Router; or Modem, Ooma device, Router that needs adjustments).
#74405 by EA PA
Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:31 am
Tbrid - Im in other thread where you got the quote from:

Re: Outgoing call rings ~4x then silence instead of answer mach
by EA PA » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:18 pm

ntoy - tested today. 12 calls all OB, local - had 3 fail to connects. Dialed using 7 digit and 10 digits combination. Im in 570 Area. tested my net connection frequently all with < 5 ms jitter, 0 packet loss, speed > 5 mbps > 450 kbps and quality > 95% in each case. No calls were made using *99. Yesterday, I ran about 12% failure, similar conditions.

Character of no connect was a variety. Some were dial tone when connected to answering machine, some were recipient could hear, but OOMA caller could not. I cannot pin down specific repeatable characteristics of the fail - seems to be a mix of conditions. I can say that I tried 3, IB calls with no issues.

Ill try and document the specifics of each fail and post as I go along.
EA PA

#106238 by lcurrens
Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:16 pm
I have had ooma for more than a year and been very happy. Recently we have been getting connection problems - for outgoing calls, it will ring once and then stop, nothing is there. For incoming, we will answer the phone, and nothing is there. This is happening a majority of the time - it is rare when I actually get a call connected!!! Very frustrated.

I called OOMA support, they claimed to do something but didn't tell me what, and it did seem to get better. But after a day it was bad again. I have called OOMA support again, and they told me to set the Upload number to 768 or some number like that. I have done it but still could not place an outgoing phone call.
#106241 by Tom
Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:48 pm
A server release pushed out a couple of weeks ago has a subtle change in timing that is impacting a small subset of customers. The symptom on outbound calls is 1 ring, then dead air. Support can fix this for you. Next week we will have a solution for customers who (also) have dead air on inbound calls.

Besides calling support another solution is to put your Ooma in front of the router. For some customers this may not be an option, e.g. because it's an integrated modem/router. In that case you want to read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15218

Some customers may have added firewall rules to open the 10000-20000 range. Those not impacted by the subtle timing change may be impacted by this firewall rule instead (or additionally). The solution is to extend the range to 30000. In the next server release the range will be reduced back to 20000 again.

Our apologies for this. We're working hard to address this problem.
#106630 by triplehelix
Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:08 pm
Not sure if the problem was resolved for you guys, but I have been getting these same issues for a few months now.

Called last week and the person changed something on my device and it rebooted and said it should be fine. Well it is still an issue and it didn't resolve anything.

We got a call tonight and answered and couldn't hear anything. We called the number back and couldn't hear them still. We had to call using a cell phone. We also experience the one ring and dead air symptoms.

Not sure what Tom did, but was wondering if he or someone could help us out.

Thanks
#106633 by thunderbird
Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:20 pm
triplehelix wrote:Not sure if the problem was resolved for you guys, but I have been getting these same issues for a few months now.

Called last week and the person changed something on my device and it rebooted and said it should be fine. Well it is still an issue and it didn't resolve anything.

We got a call tonight and answered and couldn't hear anything. We called the number back and couldn't hear them still. We had to call using a cell phone. We also experience the one ring and dead air symptoms.

Not sure what Tom did, but was wondering if he or someone could help us out.

Thanks

If you are using a combination Modem/Router, you may have to place your Ooma Telo Internet port MAC address into the Router's DMZ or port forward the Ooma used ports as listed at: https://www.ooma.com/app/support/advance ... vice-ports .

Another thing that sometimes helps is in Ooma Setup, is to change the MAC address setting from Automatic to Use Built In.

Otherwise contact Ooma Customer support level 2 or 3 and have them correct your problem:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Hours: Weekdays 7am-7pm PT, Weekends 8am-5pm PT