Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#73144 by EricJRW
Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:19 am
Decided to play around with the (complimentary) second line and have some questions.

1. How do I change caller ID? I entered some more or less random text, thinking I could easily change it later, but I do see a way to do that.

2. Even though the second number is assigned to the scout, both hub and scout ring when I call it.

3. Similarly, although my primary number is on my hub, both hub and scout ring when I call it. I'm OK with this, and maybe it's normal since the hub is "shared", but with the numbers seemingly assigned on a per-device basis, it surprised me.

4. Call logs and line numbers. Regardless of which ooma number I call, it always shows as line [1] in the call log. Maybe the changes need to propagate, but it surprises me that the system does not already recognize this as the second number (since it already rings).

5. Lastly, and this is unlikely, but let's say I don't want the number I selected. How do I delete? In fact, had I know about not being able to easily change the caller ID, I would have held off on picking a second number just yet. I think number I picked is OK, but it's in a neighboring area code (just for fun). I might change my mind and want a number in the same area code as my main number (but for now it's not that big of a deal).

Thanks for your help.

Eric

PS. I have about 4 days left on my free trial of Premier and the functionality of the second line may convince to pay for annual premier (and see if I can get my porting fee back).
#73149 by murphy
Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:28 am
It sounds like you have one of the scouts that has the wrong serial number on the bottom.
There were a bunch of them shipped.
You need to call CS and ask them what the serial number is of the scout that is connecting to your hub.
Once you have that number, undo the personal scout setup and redo it with the correct serial number.
You specify the caller ID info at the time the personal device is created. You can't change it later except by deleting the personal device and creating a new one.
You have to remove the phone number from the personal device before you can delete it.

If the personal scout is done correctly with the correct serial number, the main number will not ring on the scout and the second number will not ring on the hub.
#73152 by EricJRW
Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 am
Thank you murphy.

I'll give CS a call later today. While I have them on the phone, I'll most likely get a year of Premier (and see if I can't get the porting fee knocked off, as I really wanted to drive Premier around the block first).

PS. I added the scout a while back, and don't recall having to specify the caller ID field. I selected a second number today, and it was the addition of the number to the existing device that prompted me for the caller ID. Since It looks like I'll be adding another device with the CORRECT serial number, I'll have an opportunity to test this out.
#73153 by murphy
Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:40 am
EricJRW wrote:Thank you murphy.

I'll give CS a call later today. While I have them on the phone, I'll most likely get a year of Premier (and see if I can't get the porting fee knocked off, as I really wanted to drive Premier around the block first).

If you already paid for porting your number and purchase the Annual Premier subscription they should only charge you the difference between the cost of Annual Premier and the port. That is exactly what I did in January of 2009 although I didn't wait until the free trial was almost over.
#73155 by EricJRW
Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:43 am
murphy wrote:
EricJRW wrote:Thank you murphy.

If you already paid for porting your number and purchase the Annual Premier subscription they should only charge you the difference between the cost of Annual Premier and the port. That is exactly what I did in January of 2009 although I didn't wait until the free trial was almost over.

Awesome. I like the features of Premier, but can seriously live without them... But I need a second number for a business venture, and this gives me the perfect excuse to order Premier. I'll find out later today if I need that second number... If the deal falls through, the point may be moot.
#73156 by ntoy
Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:54 am
Hello,

Murphy was correct on the scout id being wrong. I took the liberty to correct it for you. Please allow 15 minutes or so. You may need to reboot the hub if it's still not working correctly.
#73158 by EricJRW
Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:56 am
ntoy wrote:Hello,

Murphy was correct on the scout id being wrong. I took the liberty to correct it for you. Please allow 15 minutes or so. You may need to reboot the hub if it's still not working correctly.

Thanks ntoy... Can't wait to play with it later... Could you please PM/e-mail me with the correct serial number to use (should I ever need to reinstall).

Thank you