Way to block ALL 800 incoming numbers?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
renatae

Way to block ALL 800 incoming numbers?

Post by renatae » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:09 am

I've noticed all my incoming 800 calls (which read as "800 Service") are just annoyance numbers - telemarketers, solicitors, people from Sears asking you to extend warranties, etc. etc. Is there a way to blanket block them all?

Thanks in advance!

thunderbird

Re: Way to block ALL 800 incoming numbers?

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:12 am

Your could add your phone number to the Federal Do Not Call list. Since cell phone numbers are now public, you should add your cell phone numbers also. Depending on were you live, some states also have Do Not Call lists that are much stronger than the Federal Do Not Call List.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:08 pm

Be careful what you wish for here. Last month, I got a robocall with the time that a furniture delivery would occur that came in on an 800-number. Since I needed to know what time to be home to meet that delivery, I definitely wanted that call to come through and I had no idea what number it would have come from. I'm sure there are other examples, but this is an example of unintended consequences. ;)
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

renatae

Post by renatae » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks, my Ooma and cell are both on Do Not Call lists. :)

DTMF - thanks - I did have a sneaking suspicion that if I could manage to do that, I'd live to regret it! That's one reason i posted my question here. :cool:

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:36 am

The service department at my car dealership identifies as "800 Service" when they call.

A call from my bank to ask about a suspicious pre-charge from Spain on my debit card came from an 800 number. It was a fraudulent charge. My card was cancelled within two hours of the call. In spite of that the stupid bank let the actual charge go through three days later. It took a few more weeks of "paper work" to get my money back.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx