Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#72100 by jswalters
Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:40 pm
When I try to use my modem all I get is tone from the other end. There i sno handshake. Anyone else have this problem?

Jeff
#72104 by southsound
Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:28 pm
We never heard if your problem with 50% success with calls was resolved, but since you have not replied to that other thread, I will assume that calling is now normal.

Could you please tell now us a little more about what you are trying to accomplish? I might guess from your question that you are trying to use a dialup compupter modem with your ooma which is connected to a high speed Internet condition. Of course, that would be silly unless that modem was part of a fax machine or a credit card terminal that does not have an Ethernet port. There are things we can do to help you get a better connection - but knowing your situation would help us give the best advice.
#72111 by jswalters
Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:53 am
I still have issues form time to time with the 50% connection on local calls. But it is nothing like it was before so I have been monitoring it which is why I have'nt responded.
For my new problem, I am using a dial up modem in my Laptop to connect to some old systems at work which was fine with the old land line. Now when I try to use it I get the tone from the other end but that is it. There does not seem to be a handshake, just continious high pitched tone.
I have the phone line for the modem plugged into the Ooma in place of the phone I normally use.
#72113 by southsound
Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:50 am
OK, so I will assume that your company has these systems on dialup only - and that they have no connection to the Internet. If they DO have Internet connectivity, then you are much better off using the Internet for your laptop. I checked your other post and I'm not sure if you have a hub (white) or Telo (black) but part of my solution depends on your device. If you have a hub, set your modem to dial *99, pause, pause before the number you are calling. This puts the system in Fax mode. If you have the Telo, go to my.ooma.com and select Preferences then Phone Numbers. Click on your phone number and select Enable Fax Mode. You may also need to set your laptop's modem speed to 14.4 kbps. It is anything but ideal, but it may work for you. No VoIP system handles modem calls very well so your success may be limited.
#72435 by jswalters
Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:07 am
I have a Telo and as per your suggestion, I went into Preferences and check Fax Mode. That did the trick.

Most of my systems at work are set up to VPN into but a coupel of really old ones have modem.

I get a little garbage on the line but I am now able to connect.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff
#88379 by pwslo
Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:10 pm
southsound wrote:OK, so I will assume that your company has these systems on dialup only - and that they have no connection to the Internet. If they DO have Internet connectivity, then you are much better off using the Internet for your laptop. I checked your other post and I'm not sure if you have a hub (white) or Telo (black) but part of my solution depends on your device. If you have a hub, set your modem to dial *99, pause, pause before the number you are calling. This puts the system in Fax mode. If you have the Telo, go to my.ooma.com and select Preferences then Phone Numbers. Click on your phone number and select Enable Fax Mode. You may also need to set your laptop's modem speed to 14.4 kbps. It is anything but ideal, but it may work for you. No VoIP system handles modem calls very well so your success may be limited.

I have the same problem with remote systems that only have a dial-up connection. I went into the Ooma Preferences, Phone Number, and selected my phone number. But there is no option for Enable Fax Mode. Is this an Ooma Premiere feature?
#88381 by thunderbird
Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:41 pm
pwslo wrote:
southsound wrote:OK, so I will assume that your company has these systems on dialup only - and that they have no connection to the Internet. If they DO have Internet connectivity, then you are much better off using the Internet for your laptop. I checked your other post and I'm not sure if you have a hub (white) or Telo (black) but part of my solution depends on your device. If you have a hub, set your modem to dial *99, pause, pause before the number you are calling. This puts the system in Fax mode. If you have the Telo, go to my.ooma.com and select Preferences then Phone Numbers. Click on your phone number and select Enable Fax Mode. You may also need to set your laptop's modem speed to 14.4 kbps. It is anything but ideal, but it may work for you. No VoIP system handles modem calls very well so your success may be limited.

I have the same problem with remote systems that only have a dial-up connection. I went into the Ooma Preferences, Phone Number, and selected my phone number. But there is no option for Enable Fax Mode. Is this an Ooma Premiere feature?

Some back ground:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12241
by Bobby B » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:17 pm
“A few weeks ago all Telos received fax tone detection support, which allows the Telo to change to an uncompressed codec when a fax call is detected. As a result of this change, the manual fax mode parameter is no longer needed. We're in the process of updating the documentation to reflect this change”.
#88387 by murphy
Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:10 pm
pwslo wrote:I have the same problem with remote systems that only have a dial-up connection. I went into the Ooma Preferences, Phone Number, and selected my phone number. But there is no option for Enable Fax Mode. Is this an Ooma Premiere feature?

It does not matter whether you have a Hub or a Telo. Outbound fax or modem calls need to dial *99 pause before the phone number.

The automatic detection only applies to incoming calls. The Hub has always had automatic incoming detection. It was recently added to the Telo.
#88391 by pwslo
Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:18 pm
murphy wrote:
pwslo wrote:I have the same problem with remote systems that only have a dial-up connection. I went into the Ooma Preferences, Phone Number, and selected my phone number. But there is no option for Enable Fax Mode. Is this an Ooma Premiere feature?

It does not matter whether you have a Hub or a Telo. Outbound fax or modem calls need to dial *99 pause before the phone number.

The automatic detection only applies to incoming calls. The Hub has always had automatic incoming detection. It was recently added to the Telo.

It worked!!!

Thank you!!!!