Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#77616 by micmann
Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:41 pm
Update to last post. I have two Ooma devices behind a router for two dedicated lines. Both had same issue. Could make calls no problem, would ring when receiving calls, but would hear dial tone when picked up. Caller wouldn’t hear anything not even ring. I called tech support and spent an hour going over various things (i.e power cycling Ooma device, remove router, press and hold various buttons on device during power up, power cycle cable modem, etc) all to no avail. I do a lot of data/comm. for work and tried most of these tests, but you still need to go through them with tech. Tech moved me up to higher level. This tech tested line as well. No problem Ooma to Ooma, but same problem when called from land line. My problem on this number was being forwarded to the engineering department and would hopefully be resolved in the next day or two. The tech wanted to test the second device, but I ran out of time for an appointment I needed to get to and I said I would have to call back (unfortunate because you never get the same tech, especially upper level, when you call back and need to go through some of the same things over again). The good thing is so far the techs are very nice to work with. Ironically, voice call quality could be a little better on the tech lines. Anyway, later in the day I tried calling the second device hoping just maybe but, same problem still. Called tech back explained the situation over again for the second device and that the upper level tech didn’t have a chance to test the device. Tech had me do a few tests and the call went through. Odd because just 10min before it didn’t work. Tried the first device worked also. Great! Said goodbyes hung up. Tried again for heck of it, didn’t work, both devices. Tried again, worked. After a couple tries seemed to pattern a not work, than work. Called tech again. Explained situation and the first statement was “yes this is a known issue and they were working on it”. The tech created a ticket for each of the lines and said they hope to have it fixed soon. That’s good enough for me.

This thread started in January and has a gap until my post here in March. I assume this might be one of those intermittent issues that may affect different people at different times. If your reading this chances are it’s happening to you. Give tech a call and see what’s up. At least their pleasant to work with.

One thing that would be nice in a situation like this is for Ooma to email a brief statement when it becomes a known issue that if you are being affected, it is a problem they are working on and will have resolved shortly. This might save a lot of time for customers and their tech team.
#77618 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:58 pm
micmann wrote: No problem Ooma to Ooma, but same problem when called from land line.

The key to the problem is when you said "No problem Ooma to Ooma". If the Ooma to Ooma calls work, that it's not your home equipment. It's always a routing problem from the Ooma Servers/Firewall to the Legacy provider where the IP addresses are translated to/from phone numbers or the Legacy provider’s equipment.

Keep after Ooma support.
#77955 by jjhudgins
Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 pm
Just got the Ooma device. My # is being ported so I do not know if this might be the problem with receiving calls. There is no problem in making calls. Any suggestions? Should I return it and keep my phone carrier? I am not impressed with Ooma's lack of responses.

Thanks
#77960 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:25 pm
jjhudgins wrote:Just got the Ooma device. My # is being ported so I do not know if this might be the problem with receiving calls. There is no problem in making calls. Any suggestions? Should I return it and keep my phone carrier? I am not impressed with Ooma's lack of responses.

Thanks

Did you get a temporary number to use from Ooma while you are having your number ported?

Quote: lbmofo
If you chose "use my own number while porting," you'd need to feed Ooma's "wall" port with your old phone provider's dial tone.