Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#70625 by cocacolakid
Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:02 pm
I'm having trouble with my Ooma Telo. First, it's set up the way Ooma prefers, between the modem and router. (It's an Motorola high speed broadband modem and an Apple Airport router) Bought the Telo new, set it up a month ago, made a few calls, everything seemed fine. Let it sit, on, for 3-4 weeks while my number was ported from Vonage. My Internet speeds were fine during that time. After the number was ported last week I reset everything as the Ooma email said to do (Telo, Modem, Router). Nothing but trouble all week since the port took place. Trouble with my internet connection, and trouble making calls (and sometimes incoming calls do not ring).

Outbound calls consistently get dead air. It will ring once or twice, then goes dead. It sometimes rings once and someone's answering machine picks up, which on any other phone doesn't happen until the 4th-5th ring, depending on the person. My friends and family say the phone rings at their house but when they answer they can't hear me. I can't hear anyone, period, and don't know to start talking since there is no answer on the other end.

When people call me, sometimes their voices sound like a rapper using one of those electric voice boxes, and it fades in an out.

I've tried switching phones from a DECT to a regular 2.8mhz phone, no change. I've restarted my Telo, Modem, and Router several times a day, all week, no change.

I've read these forums inside out, searching for ideas. I went into the Ooma setup page and set it to use the built in MAC address, no change. I changed the Upstream Internet Speed to 1600 (I have 21mbps broadband), no change.

I'm regretting buying the Ooma and obviously regretting having my number ported. I hope someone can give me some advice that I'm not aware of. I'm not buying a new router. I have an expensive, NEW, Apple Airport, the best router I've ever owned, by far, and have never had a problem with my Internet connection since I went to that router.

I'm close to giving up on this. I was tired of Vonage occasionally dropping sentences, but at least it worked.
#70627 by lbmofo
Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:57 pm
What was the configuration when you tested your Telo a month ago? Anything change?
Were you using your Vonage number in using Ooma while port was happening?
Is your Vonage box out of your setup chain now?
Is your modem power backed up by battery? Take the battery out when power cycling modem?
#70628 by cocacolakid
Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:05 pm
The configuration was the same over the last month. The only thing that changed was once my number was ported to Ooma, and everything restarted and the phone worked, I took the Vonage box out of the loop. The Vonage box was plugged into the router, not in between modem and router.

Modem has no battery.
#70631 by cocacolakid
Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:31 pm
lbmofo wrote:What happens when you put your Ooma after the router?

I get no Internet connection. I restart everything, modem lights up all happy, router gives me a green light (on), but have no Internet connection and Ooma never finishes registering.

The only way I get a connection now (both Internet and Ooma) is keeping it between the modem and router.
#70639 by cocacolakid
Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:35 pm
I decided to move the Ooma behind the router, and turn off Bridge Mode. That got the Internet connection to come back to normal, thanks.

I'll try making a few calls on Sunday and see if it's fixed. If it is, I owe you one. lol.

Thanks for your help.

Merry Christmas!
#70659 by lbmofo
Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:56 am
cocacolakid wrote:I decided to move the Ooma behind the router, and turn off Bridge Mode. That got the Internet connection to come back to normal, thanks.

I'll try making a few calls on Sunday and see if it's fixed. If it is, I owe you one. lol.

Thanks for your help.

Merry Christmas!

Hope it all works out. Merry Xmas to you too.
#70786 by cocacolakid
Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:33 am
Update:

I moved the Ooma Telo behind the router. Call quality has increased slightly. There is no more electric voices, however, I'm still getting dead air when calling someone and the phone is ringing. I never can hear an answering machine pickup, only silence. This last time I heard silence so I started talking to see if they could hear me. I called back and they said their answering machine had picked up and I was talking while leaving a message.

I'm also still having internet problems, which I've narrowed down to the Ooma causing. My speed on speedtest.net will hit as high as 22mbps, then minutes later drop to 0.26 or 0.31mbps. Pages take forever to load, if at all. I cannot stream video because it can't buffer. If I turn the Telo off, the internet speeds go back to normal in a minute.

I'm really disappointed. I've followed all of the installation directions, and anything I can find on the forum, with little luck. I guess the Telo is going up on eBay and I'm out the balance of $240 bucks, with the port. Now I have to find another phone company and port the number, again. Not happy and I won't be recommending Ooma.