Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#70130 by jswalters
Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:59 pm
I am having a problem with making local calls. in most all cases, i would get 1 ring and then dead air. Once in a while I woudl get 2 rings but then dead air. I did check to make sure 10 digit dialing was checked, and it was. I called tech support and they had me run some test and said it looked like I was using to much bandwidth. So they had me change the configuration of how I had the Ooma connected. It is now connected to a router port with the PC being connected to the Ooma. This worked some. I now have about 50% of the local calls connect. It is not just one particual exchange either.

Anyone have this problem and if so what did you do to resolve it?

Jeff
jswalters@wowway.com
#76481 by erikhord
Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:56 pm
I'm having the exact same issue again only on local calls. 100% of the time when I call my next door neighbor (for example) it rings once, 5 seconds of dead air, then "poof" they're there. Very strange and quite annoying because most people just hang up in the dead air space and don't wait like my neighbors now do.

Really if this local issue was fixed Ooma would be perfect but with this issue I can't recommend it and have actually told friends to hold off as I don't view it as quite ready for prime time and I feel like more of an "early adopter" than I wanted to be :( .
#76485 by DTMF
Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 pm
thunderbird wrote:Have you tried calling using format 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx for local numbers too?
I have found that "local" calls (any number in my area code) will connect faster if I press # at the end of the 7 digits. I'm guessing the pound key signals the Telo to go ahead and send the dialing string to the server, rather than waiting around to see if there will be any more digits.
#76490 by erikhord
Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:27 pm
Thanks for the suggestions, I just tried both of them with my oh so patient neighbor and still the same result????? Very annoying.

I've had some minor call quality issues on long distance but the local experience has frankly proven to be unacceptable to the point that we're just using our cell phones for local calls more often than not. Thanks for the suggestions though.
#76492 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:30 pm
erikhord wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, I just tried both of them with my oh so patient neighbor and still the same result????? Very annoying.

I've had some minor call quality issues on long distance but the local experience has frankly proven to be unacceptable to the point that we're just using our cell phones for local calls more often than not. Thanks for the suggestions though.

You are running Ooma in standalone mode right with Ooma assigned number?
#76503 by erikhord
Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:12 pm
lbmofo wrote:You are running Ooma in standalone mode right with Ooma assigned number?

Ibmofo, not 100% sure what you're asking. I've got an Ooma with a ported number (my old local phone company #) in a structured wiring can in my basement. It's set up is: Cable modem > Ooma > router. I've called TS and had them run me through the bandwidth testing and configuration set up. In general 95% of my long distance calls are uneventful with only minor packet loss.

My biggest issue is this local call issue which is very annoying and seems to be the worst in my local exchange 434-973-xxxx where I get this delay and often the other party just hangs up. Not sure if I answered your question or not? Thanks for your help, Erik
#76505 by erikhord
Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:15 pm
Just as a for what it's worth, I tried the *99 fix and it sort of worked. We connected as you normally would without the delay but my neighbor said that she was hearing an echo on her end (of herself) which I wasn't hearing. She's still got POTS through Embarq/Centurylink.
#76508 by erikhord
Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:24 pm
WOW, just tried *98 based on someone else's suggestion and it worked!!!! Rang normally, I heard my neighbor as soon as she picked up and she didn't hear an echo!! One call is hardly a trend but considering it's the first try and the first normal call in months I'm happy.