This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#68364 by mailman100b
Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:01 pm
Hi,

I'm a new user getting low volume, echo-like-you're-in-a-well, lag laden calls. Why is this acceptable to anyone? Why doesn't this great idea tech give customers the same quality as a plain old telephone call? Google voice uses a leetle-teeny-tiny chunk o' bandwidth and sounds clear as a bell. Why can't Ooma?
#68399 by Jerry_NA
Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:54 pm
Hello and welcome to the Ooma forums. If you just wrote to complain, then you're done. If you actually want help from other Ooma customers {we're not paid employees}, then you will need to provide more information. Your Ooma box is dependent upon all of your other hardware, home telephone wiring, the way you set it up, etc. Sometimes it works beautifully out of the box, and sometimes the owner has to make a few adjustments.

What type of internet service do you have? What router and or modem hardware is connected to your Ooma? What does a speed and quality test show? (Try using http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html) Some cable systems are notorious for giving high speed but also very high delays or jitter, ruining any chance of a good VOIP connection. Get back with the answers to these questions and maybe someone can help you diagnose your problem.
#68521 by mailman100b
Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:16 am
Hi, thanks for the welcome.

I've configured at setup.ooma.com based on my results from a speedtest (490 Kbit up, 9200 Kbit down).

I have better results on my end now. Some of it might also be due to QOS tuning itself over a series of phone calls...

I haven't used it much since the change, but I'm hoping I can avoid the voice breakup (I was calling a land line at the time) on the other end experienced before I changed QOS settings. I've also had some spotty sound quality on my end (on a different call), but that might have been the person who I called having uneven quality and was on his cell phone (Revol).

I'm not sure if everything is A-OK yet, but I'd say things are pretty OK based on the one simple change. I wish I'd gotten the idea to do the QOS tuning from the documentation instead of browsing the forums. I could have done this right after setting up the Ooma router (it is installed between my cable modem and my network router).

I'm going to wait and see before porting my number, but I'm a lot more upbeat than my previous post.

I'm on Time Warner, which is really not the A team when it comes to internet. My service previously was through Windstream, but they were unwilling when it came to reasonably priced naked DSL or let me take part in any of their better deals - since I was not a new customer. They also were not willing to transfer my number to Ooma, which wasn't exactly great on their part.

Time Warner so far has intermittently poor DNS (I've had it for about 2 weeks). I last used cable internet for Vonage a few years ago and had poor voice quality due to lots of packet fragmentation on my chunk of their network.

Does anyone know if there's an option (Ooma or other) to cache DNS information? Is packet fragmentation measured in any special way aside from the results you'd get from pinging a randomly selected website?
#68557 by mailman100b
Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:01 am
Oh well. Back to the drawing board. I'm afraid I'm getting a problem where the call I place doesn't let me be heard on the other end. Has anyone else had/solved a problem like this? It happens on seven and ten digit dialing (I've activated 10 digit dialing)
#68589 by lbmofo
Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:45 pm
490kbps up doesn't look right. What upload speed are you supposed to get?
#68823 by autoxer
Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:24 am
mailman100b wrote:Oh well. Back to the drawing board. I'm afraid I'm getting a problem where the call I place doesn't let me be heard on the other end. Has anyone else had/solved a problem like this? It happens on seven and ten digit dialing (I've activated 10 digit dialing)

Just happened to me 30 min ago while trying to get back to my wife AFTER the OOMA sent her call to VM after one ring instead of to my local answering machine after 4 rings.
#69114 by aderyn
Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:05 am
I have issues with sound quality, as well. Callers complain of lag and voice breaking up: "Sounds like you're on a bad cell phone connection" is a common comment. I have contacted Ooma support and they acknowledged that it is a known issue and that they hope users will keep sending them data so they can figure out what's wrong. Very unsatisfying answer. I also cannot hear voice mail in real time (i.e., while the caller is actually leaving the message), so call screening is much less useful than I would like. It's okay if I'm looking at the handset and see the incoming number, but of course that means I have to be right on top of my phone when it rings. I can't listen to the message from across the room, say, and then decide to grab or ignore the call.