Cannot Hear Other Party

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Greg4ooma
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Cannot Hear Other Party

Post by Greg4ooma » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:15 pm

If anyone can confirm the issue with dialing AT&T landline #'s has been resolved, I'd consider OOMA again.
But obviously, I need to be able to dial people in my own town.

8435599222
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 am

Re: Cannot Hear Other Party

Post by 8435599222 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:39 am

AT&T IS THE MAIN PHONE CO IN THIS AREA. DON'T KNOW IF MY PROBLEMS ARE LIMITED TO CALLS TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.
IS A FIRMWARE UPDATE SOMETHING AUTOMATICALLY DONE BY OOMA OR DO I NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO INSTALL THEM ON MY TELO?

2spirit
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:28 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Cannot Hear Other Party

Post by 2spirit » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:47 am

8435599222 wrote:AT&T IS THE MAIN PHONE CO IN THIS AREA. DON'T KNOW IF MY PROBLEMS ARE LIMITED TO CALLS TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.
IS A FIRMWARE UPDATE SOMETHING AUTOMATICALLY DONE BY OOMA OR DO I NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO INSTALL THEM ON MY TELO?
Firmware updates are done automatically. So you don't need to do anything . . . but that being said, if you are experiencing problems, you should report them to Customer Service. It could be a problem with your set-up or it could be a problem with your carrier. If you explain your problem and your set-up in more detail, there are any number of folks here on the forum who will offer assistance . . . but only Ooma can address carrier and firmware problems. And while you are speaking with Customer Service, you should ask them to change your forum user name to something other than your phone number. Since this is a public forum you may just be inviting some unwanted calls by posting your number.
Telo w/ 2 Ooma Handsets
Annual Premier Subscriber

Whiznot
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:10 am

Re: Cannot Hear Other Party

Post by Whiznot » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:20 am

I have had a Telo for five months. Yesterday and today were the first times I've experienced extreme distortion of the other party on outgoing calls. I power cycled the modem, telo and router which corrected the problem. I was concerned that my Telo might be failing. After reading this thread I am somewhat reassured that the problem appears to be systemic rather than being related to my specific unit. As long as I can reboot everything and get a good connection I am not overly concerned.

I emailed my call log to support to help solve routing issues.
Last edited by Whiznot on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Cannot Hear Other Party

Post by thunderbird » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:35 am

Whiznot wrote:I have had a Telo for five months. Yesterday and today were the first times I've experienced extreme distortion of the other party on outgoing calls. I power cycled the modem, telo and router which corrected the problem. I was concerned that my Telo might be failing. After reading this thread I am somewhat reassured that the problem appears to be systemic rather than being related to my specific unit. As long as I can reboot everything and get a good connection I am not overly concerned.

Does support need to know details of my calling problems?
Yes! It's alway good to report your problem to Ooma Customer Support so that they are aware of these problems.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Greg4ooma
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Tried another OOMA box and #, and calls to AT&T ok.

Post by Greg4ooma » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:28 pm

UPDATE!

Out of pure curiosity, I exchanged my OOMA box for another one at a local retail store. Also, got a new phone number.

i'm on 49339 after activtating (didn't push the newests firmware).

the only setting I changed was the QOS. I changed it in the OOMA to begin my troubleshooting (to track last problem down)

I have the UPLOAD to 800kbps and the download to 3000kbps.

I DID NOT set any QOS in the router. I did assign the OOMA a static ip from the router (192.168.1.5).

I called the same two numbers I was having issues with earlier. these are AT&T landline numbers. 931-359-xxxx.

the second the caller answered, I could hear them. The call quality was good, and there was NO echo on either end, and they could hear me good on the other end.

SO, the mystery remains a mystery I guess. Have no idea at this point whether it was the OOMA box going whacky, the phone # assgined, or an issue internal in the OOMA Network.

For now, the settings I assigned, and the OOMA plugged into the router seem to be working, SO FAR.

The QOS in the OOMA box @ 800kbpsup/3000kbps down seem to work good on my 16mbps/2mbps. I hate to start tweaking, since this config works.

anyone think anything better will help setting the OOMA QOS to 0/0 and setting QOS in the router?

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Cannot Hear Other Party

Post by thunderbird » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Greg4ooma:
If it's working, I'd not change a thing, and just let it "burn in" and see what happens. Any one of the things that you did might have fixed your problem. Also Ooma may have made some general changes/adjustments to their equipment on their side????

Good luck! :)

Greg4ooma
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Cannot Hear Other Party

Post by Greg4ooma » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. As you can see, I really DID want to give OOMA a second chance.

Although there seems to be a debate as to whether QOS is better set in the OOMA or the ROUTER, its working acceptable with QOS in the OOMA, and the OOMA i plugged into an ethernet port on the router.

you're right, gonna leave it this way, and do more call testing. I talked almost 30 minutes (testing both ways), and call quality was better than it was with the previous box.

For now, all is ok. Anyone else that previously had problems calling AT&T landline #'s, reboot your OOMA, and see if you are still experiencing the problem. Seemed to be corrected for me at least now.

thunderbird wrote:Greg4ooma:
If it's working, I'd not change a thing, and just let it "burn in" and see what happens. Any one of the things that you did might have fixed your problem. Also Ooma may have made some general changes/adjustments to their equipment on their side????

Good luck! :)

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Cannot Hear Other Party

Post by thunderbird » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:11 pm

Greg4ooma wrote:Thanks for the reply. As you can see, I really DID want to give OOMA a second chance.
I think you are like me, you really don't like to give up! Plus it's very interesting.
Greg4ooma wrote: Although there seems to be a debate as to whether QOS is better set in the OOMA or the ROUTER, its working acceptable with QOS in the OOMA, and the OOMA I plugged into an Ethernet port on the router.
There are so many differences between Internet provider signal quality, what Routers can and can't do, and even different builds of the Ooma devices, that as far as QoS is concerned; a person has to try QoS settings that works for them, and then stick with those settings, making small adjustments if there are problems.
Greg4ooma wrote: You're right, gonna leave it this way, and do more call testing. I talked almost 30 minutes (testing both ways), and call quality was better than it was with the previous box.

For now, all is ok. Anyone else that previously had problems calling AT&T landline #'s, reboot your OOMA, and see if you are still experiencing the problem. Seemed to be corrected for me at least now.

Greg4ooma
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Cannot Hear Other Party

Post by Greg4ooma » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Do these STATS look ok? Seems to be running good since the new OOMA box and #.
Attachments
test.jpg
VOIP TEST
test.jpg (47.78 KiB) Viewed 3843 times

Post Reply