This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#87661 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:31 pm
Greg4ooma:
This was a big issue about a year ago. But Ooma made corrections, and until the last couple of firmware updates, it had been solved. Now a few people have started having this problem again. Since you are dialing the *99 prefex, you must have an Ooma Hub. While after dialing, add a hash mark (#) to speed the connection time. Example: *99-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx#. Make sure that you have ten digit dialing enabled in My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/system.
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
#87663 by Greg4ooma
Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:55 am
Obviously its still an issue. It might have something to do with the series of prefixes OOMA gives these devices.
For Example, 931-422 for my device, the number is actually issued and maintained by Global Crossing TN.

Perhaps AT&T and these prefixes don't work well together.

Regardless, the issue persists and its a serious issue not being able to dial #'s in your own city.

For now the *99 works, but it creates a terrible ECHO.

If OOMA engineers know its an issue, they need to work more digilently to try to work to correct it.



thunderbird wrote:Greg4ooma:
This was a big issue about a year ago. But Ooma made corrections, and until the last couple of firmware update, it had been solved. Now a few people have started having this problem again. Since you are dialing the *99 prefex, you must have an Ooma Hub. While after dialing, add a hash mark (#) to speed the connection time. Example: *99-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx#. Make sure that you have ten digit dialing enableed in My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/system.
#87667 by thunderbird
Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:11 am
Greg4ooma wrote:Obviously its still an issue. It might have something to do with the series of prefixes OOMA gives these devices.
For Example, 931-422 for my device, the number is actually issued and maintained by Global Crossing TN.

Perhaps AT&T and these prefixes don't work well together.

Regardless, the issue persists and its a serious issue not being able to dial #'s in your own city.

For now the *99 works, but it creates a terrible ECHO.

If OOMA engineers know its an issue, they need to work more digilently to try to work to correct it.



thunderbird wrote:Greg4ooma:
This was a big issue about a year ago. But Ooma made corrections, and until the last couple of firmware update, it had been solved. Now a few people have started having this problem again. Since you are dialing the *99 prefex, you must have an Ooma Hub. While after dialing, add a hash mark (#) to speed the connection time. Example: *99-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx#. Make sure that you have ten digit dialing enableed in My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/system.

I don't know if *82 works with the Ooma Hub, but try dialing *82 before the number, to see if you still have echo.
#87669 by Greg4ooma
Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:18 am
I appreciate everyone's help. However, I have decided to return the device to the retail store.

Get fast busy signal when trying to dial AT&T numbers this morning. In other words, I can pick up the OOMA and dial the AT&T number in my own house, and it will not work.

Hope OOMA gets this issue fixed. I can't do without local calling in my own town!

Too bad this was a quirk. The OOMA seemed to be a really nice piece of equipment.
#87672 by thunderbird
Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:42 am
Greg4ooma wrote:I appreciate everyone's help. However, I have decided to return the device to the retail store.

Get fast busy signal when trying to dial AT&T numbers this morning. In other words, I can pick up the OOMA and dial the AT&T number in my own house, and it will not work.

Hope OOMA gets this issue fixed. I can't do without local calling in my own town!

Too bad this was a quirk. The OOMA seemed to be a really nice piece of equipment.

Many of us never have a problem with their Ooma device. I had problems at first, but once the bugs were worked out and adjustments were made, we haven't had any problems since.

In late winter I took our Ooma Telo and a small phone along on a trip to China. I could call from China, to a number in China, probably about 14,000 miles, considering that the call went from China, to the Ooma servers in California, then back to China, without any problems at all.

Keep an eye on this forum. Probably very soon the One-way call problems will be corrected.
Good Luck. :)
#87678 by Greg4ooma
Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:58 am
thanks for the reply. Obviously, I really won't ever know if the problem with AT&T landlines is fixed (or ever will be).
retailers only offer 14-30 days to return the device, so I doubt it would have been corrected before then. If the problem persists after that, I would have been stuck with a device I could not use locally (and could not return).

the device works great, BUT it does NOT play well with AT&T #'s. Once again,that's a big rock thrown into the cog.....

If someone CAN ABSOLUTELY confirm this glitch is confirmed, I might reconsider. (Supposed to get a phone call from Level 2 - but that might be doubtful now that I cancelled).


thunderbird wrote:
Greg4ooma wrote:I appreciate everyone's help. However, I have decided to return the device to the retail store.

Get fast busy signal when trying to dial AT&T numbers this morning. In other words, I can pick up the OOMA and dial the AT&T number in my own house, and it will not work.

Hope OOMA gets this issue fixed. I can't do without local calling in my own town!

Too bad this was a quirk. The OOMA seemed to be a really nice piece of equipment.

Many of us never have a problem with their Ooma device. I had problems at first, but once the bugs were worked out and adjustments were made, we haven't had any problems since.

In late winter I took our Ooma Telo and a small phone along on a trip to China. I could call from China, to a number in China, probably about 14,000 miles, considering that the call went from China, to the Ooma servers in California, then back to China, without any problems at all.

Keep an eye on this forum. Probably very soon the One-way call problems will be corrected.
Good Luck. :)
#87733 by 8435599222
Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:29 pm
SAME PROBLEM. OOMA TECH SAID TO DIAL *99. THE CALL GOES THROUGH, BUT ECHO AND DISTORTION IS BAD ON BOTH ENDS OF CALL. I HAVE A TELO. OOMA SUPPORT SEEMS TO HAVE WASHED THEIR HANDS OF ME I HAVE CALLED AND EMAILED SO MANY TIMES. THEY NOW SAY THE PROBLEM IS MY CARRIER, COMCAST. THEY SAY THE JITTER IS TOO HIGH. THAT THEY MEASURE AS HIGH AS 35MS. BUT I HAVE CHECKED ABOUT 40 TIMES WITH PINGTEST.NET AS THEY RECOMMEND AND NEVER HAD THE TEST COME BACK OVER 5MS. USUALLY ABOUT 3MS. I THINK THEY ARE PASSING THE BUCK. MY CONNECTION IS VERY FAST AND RATED EXCELLENT BY PINGTEST.NET AND SPEEDTEST.NET.
I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO DROP OOMA AFTER PORTING MY NUMBER. BUT WHAT TO DO? HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING OOMA AND COMCAST SUPPORT COULD THINK OF.
#87734 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:02 pm
8435599222:
If you have an Ooma Telo, you could also try prefexes *98, *96 or *82 as a temporary fix. If any of them work for you, the echo should be gone. Using a hash mark (#) after the number helps to speed the dialing.
Example *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx-#

Another thing is that Ooma is going to release another firmware update for the Ooma Telo, release 49680, which may help.
#87739 by Greg4ooma
Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:19 pm
49680 only appears to fix one issue. Would a firmware update fix the AT&T landline and the echo issue anyway?

This release will start rolling out within the next week or two:
Fix issue recognizing certain Ooma Bluetooth adapters [11787]
#87740 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:23 pm
Greg4ooma wrote:49680 only appears to fix one issue. Would a firmware update fix the AT&T landline and the echo issue anyway?

This release will start rolling out within the next week or two:
Fix issue recognizing certain Ooma Bluetooth adapters [11787]

Everyone is effected with echo when using *99 which Ooma uses as a Fax Codec. The other star codes listed shouldn't have echo.

Sometimes Ooma Support will slip in some fixes in a new firmware update, without listing them.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests