This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#74461 by nn5i
Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:04 am
thunderbird wrote:nn5i:
What's an English teacher doing talking about ports?

Not an English teacher; just a literate engineer.
#74473 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:22 am
Info Only:
Two Engineers agree to paint a flag pole. Of course they need to know how tall it is so they can purchase the paint. One shimmies up the pole with a tape measure and falls after reaching about half way. While trying to figure out how they can possibly measure the pole along comes a Designer. After asking what they're doing he replies, "that s easy". He then reaches around the pole and pulls it out of the ground and lays it down. "There you go", he said as he walked away. The two Engineers look at each other and one said "that stupid guy will never get anywhere, we don't need to know how wide it is, just how tall".
#74506 by highq
Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:21 pm
thunderbird wrote:
highq wrote:Thunderbird, I claim that the text you cited, from a page at netgear.com, is erroneous. You did quote it accurately and precisely, but I say it's garbage.

I'm happy to further browse the Internet; what search terms would you suggest that I use?

Try http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... secured%3F

You seem now to have a problem understanding what I wrote, which is that you accurately quoted some total nonsense from a page at netgear.com. Referring me to that very page has us now going around in circles. Please stop.
#74674 by kagtha
Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm
kagtha wrote:I installed mine earlier today. I was hoping the issue would go away but when dialing a "Sprint" (850-777) Cellular I have the same issue. They can hear me but I can'r hear them for approx 20-30 seconds. Dialing 3 other numbers cell and landline worked fine except this one number.

Other than this issue it works fine.

Details:

I live in Chesapeake VA with a 757 Number
Verizon Fios 50mbs down 15 up
the phone is before the router. (straight internet connection)

This can only be an ooma routing issue. I will send a support ticket since it seems to have worked for you guys. :cry:

UPDATE: A friend in Hampton, VA just installed an ooma (cox lowest speed connection) and she doesnt have this issue at all. Atleast not with the 850-777 number i had the outbound call issue with. I hope mine just starts working because it is a number i call often from my cell phone.

It could mean life or death if this issue happens with 911.
#74679 by thunderbird
Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:18 pm
kagtha:
I heard yesterday that Ooma is working on a “permanent solution” for their routing issues. Routing problems are I/They can’t hear Them/Me, blank calls, delayed calls, echo, etc.

In the mean time, you still have to contact Ooma support with your individual problems.
They will want to know if the call was an inbound call, outbound call, date, time, time and phone number being called or phone number that other party called from. I usually have cut and pasted some of that information from My Ooma call logs and sent to Ooma Support in an E-mail. When an inbound call doesn’t record in your My Ooma call log, you have to obtain that information from the party calling you.

You have to keep after Ooma Support to have your problem resolved. When I was having a problem, I E-mailed them everyday, weather they responded or not, until my issue were resolved.

Most often when the problem is resolved, you never know until you try to make a call or someone you had a problem with calls you. This probably because they fixed the problem for someone else and that solution also included you.
#87502 by 8435599222
Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:17 pm
SAME PROBLEM. I CALL. THEY CAN HEAR ME. I CANNOT HEAR THEM. HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING CUSTOMER SUPPORT COULD THINK OF. ALSO EVERYTHING COMCAST ASKED ME TO TRY. NO HELP. ANY SOLUTIONS THAT HAVE HELPED ANYONE ELSE WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED.
#87503 by highq
Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:23 pm
Please don't SHOUT!

Consider calling Ooma Customer Service and get your login name here changed to something other than your phone number, lest it become a spam magnet.
#87505 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:09 pm
8435599222 wrote:SAME PROBLEM. I CALL. THEY CAN HEAR ME. I CANNOT HEAR THEM. HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING CUSTOMER SUPPORT COULD THINK OF. ALSO EVERYTHING COMCAST ASKED ME TO TRY. NO HELP. ANY SOLUTIONS THAT HAVE HELPED ANYONE ELSE WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED.

Try using the *98 or *96 prefex before dialing the number for Ooma Telos?

Example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

If you have a Hub, try *99. Note: You may have an echo using *99.
#87652 by Greg4ooma
Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:02 pm
I am having the SAME issue. This involves calling someone on an AT&T LANDLINE ! !

When I call someone on an at&t landline, the call will go normally, ring the number I am dialing, I can hear the dialing stop which normally indicates the person answered the call. BUT. I CAN NOT HEAR THEM......however they can hear me......

INCOMING calls are not affected by this . . . ONLY outgoing calls.

I spent almost an hour on the phone with tech support tonight, and after the call rep talked to a Level 2 Engineer, he came back with the verdict that this DOES involve AT&T landlines.

The WORKAROUND was to dial *99, along with the 10 digit at&t phone number. The call goes thru normally, and you can hear the person answer.

HERE'S another interesting fact. This only affects if you are dialing an AT&T typical landline. If you are dialing an AT&T customer who has UVERSE in the same area code and prefix (as you had trouble), THEN.....the call is not affected........

So, in other words, I can't hear my sister on AT&T landline 931-359-xxxx
BUT I can hear my brother on at&T UVERSE 931-359-xxxx

I meant to call OOMA back and tell them about this.

For now, I have to dial *99 before any at&t landline. Had the service only 3 days and almost took the unit back to the retail store today because I considered this pretty isolated and freaky! But Level 2 already knew about it.

ANYONE ELSE having problems dialing AT&T landline #'s and not being able to hear your caller, DOCUMENT them here.
And call tech support and report it so a case can be generated.

THANKS!!

Cari wrote:ps. my carrier of the person I am calling is AT & T. When I called Ooma to tell Comcast my internet carrier to adjust the jitter. Of course comcast had no idea what I was talking about.

I also did a manual adjustment in the settings with the help of rep after doing various tests but it did not seem to help....
#87653 by Greg4ooma
Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:11 pm
Well, after reading thru the thread on this issue, I see that more than a few folks have issues dialing AT&T landlines, and have experienced this issue about the ability to hear to caller you're dialing.

These issues seem to date back to late 2010. If this is an issue for that long, have OOMA engineers not come to a resolution to this issue?

This is a BIG issue for me, since we are an AT&T landline town mostly, and most of the people I make calls to are on at&t landlines.

This might be the sole determination of whether i keep this device or return it.

Others that reported as having the problem say that they never got resolutions???