This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#74388 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:20 am
Information only:
I have my Ooma device connected behind (on the Lan Side) of my router. I use Ooma's MODEM Port MAC Address – “Built in” address, and use a static IP address for our Ooma device. I also place the Ooma static IP address in our router's DMZ. I have also port forwarded all of the ports that Ooma says they use. Most of the time this configuration is rock solid, and we have very few Quality of Service problems. But for a little test, I took the Ooma device's IP address out of the router DMZ. In a short period of time, it was very noticeable to me, that my Quality of Service (QoS) declined. Among other things, some of the I/they can't hear them/me problems, came back for us. (This was unrelated to the very recent problems that we and many other people had in the last few days). But when I place the Ooma device back in our router's DMZ, the QoS problems went away. So I can only guess that, because I also had port forwarded the ports that Ooma published that they use, there are ports that Ooma uses that aren't published. But there may be other reasons for better performance when the Ooma device is placed in the router's DMZ?
#74390 by murphy
Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:29 am
The ports that Ooma publishes are outbound ports. Read their FAQ carefully. No home class router, that I am aware of, blocks outbound ports. Only commercial routers have that capability. Opening those ports in the inbound firewall does nothing.
When an outbound request is made it includes the dynamic port number that it expects to receive input on and the router automatically opens that port for the duration of the TCP connection.

I run a Hub and a Telo behind my router. No ports are forwarded and the DMZ is disabled. They both work fine.
#74393 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:27 am
murphy wrote:The ports that Ooma publishes are outbound ports. Read their FAQ carefully. No home class router, that I am aware of, blocks outbound ports. Only commercial routers have that capability. Opening those ports in the inbound firewall does nothing.

Murphy: Your explanation of how home router ports function is too simplified. Each router manufacture, including routers sold for home use, handles their router firewall port security differently. An example is how Netgear handles their ports as quoted from their Internet site below:

“By default, with NETGEAR, all ports to the Internet, and most ports to your LAN are closed. A few LAN-side ports are open — such as FTP and HTTP — since they are needed for basic router connectivity.”

The differences in router manufacture’s router firewall configurations are one of the reasons why some people, like you, have absolutely no problems at all, and others who own different routers, from different manufactures, have constant problems.

I have always believed that Ooma’s published list of ports is incomplete, and the “Advanced Connections and Service Ports” document is a little misleading. I have queried Ooma about this, but that information seems to be held very close. I suppose for security reasons.
#74397 by andybray
Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:33 am
same problem. Usually, after about 15 to 30 seconds, the call actually starts working. The neighbor we call knows about the problem, and holds on until the call works. Frustrating!!!!!!!!
#74409 by highq
Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:28 am
thunderbird wrote:Murphy: Your explanation of how home router ports function is too simplified. Each router manufacture, including routers sold for home use, handles their router firewall port security differently. An example is how Netgear handles their ports as quoted from their Internet site below:

“By default, with NETGEAR, all ports to the Internet, and most ports to your LAN are closed. A few LAN-side ports are open — such as FTP and HTTP — since they are needed for basic router connectivity.”

I find it extremely difficult to swallow that, and I will here and now suggest that it is a typo, that it is all ports from the Internet that they are blocking.

Otherwise I could not begin to imagine how a home Netgear user would know to open outgoing 21, 22, 23, 25, 53, 80, 110, 123, 143, 515, 540 and a bunch more, in order to do anything useful on the net.
#74412 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:41 pm
highq wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Murphy: Your explanation of how home router ports function is too simplified. Each router manufacture, including routers sold for home use, handles their router firewall port security differently. An example is how Netgear handles their ports as quoted from their Internet site below:

I find it extremely difficult to swallow that, and I will here and now suggest that it is a typo, that it is all ports from the Internet that they are blocking.

Otherwise I could not begin to imagine how a home Netgear user would know to open outgoing 21, 22, 23, 25, 53, 80, 110, 123, 143, 515, 540 and a bunch more, in order to do anything useful on the net.

Highq: all you have to do is go on the Internet and check. You will find that the various router manufacturers are all over the place when it comes to router firewall port settings.
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#74413 by nn5i
Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:54 pm
I'm with HighQ on this one. Whatever they say, any manufacturer who sold routers with port 80 closed outgoing would quickly find themselves with unhappy customers. And -- forgive me, I just can't stand it any longer -- it's manufacturers, not manufactures.
#74431 by highq
Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:43 pm
Thunderbird, I claim that the text you cited, from a page at netgear.com, is erroneous. You did quote it accurately and precisely, but I say it's garbage.

I'm happy to further browse the Internet; what search terms would you suggest that I use?