This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#68915 by lbmofo
Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:05 pm
JRay7 wrote:I have been having the same buzzing issue. I have a single-line three-phone AT&T cordless system. The Telo is located 4 to 5 feet away from my router. I have a 50-foot two-line telephone cord leading from the Telo into a wall jack where at another wall jack my phone base unit is connected into. People on the other end of the line don't hear the buzz, but I do. And when I begin talking the buzz goes away, only to come back after I stop talking. I tried the DSL filter trick and it did not work. I even setup the QoS for the Telo, and that didn't make a difference. Ooma is the only phone service I have, so the wall jacks have no other live feeds. Not sure if it is the telephone cable, my phones, or something else. I hope my info helps pinpoint a solution.

What happens if your phone is connected directly to your ooma?
Is your house wiring disconnected from the telephone company at the NIB outside the house?
#68959 by JRay7
Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:17 am
This is a follow-on to my first post. I found a website that gives instructions on how to troubleshoot a hum or buzz on the phone line (http://www.dannylipford.com/how-to-fix- ... hone-line/). I tried the trick of going to the telephone junction box on the side of my house and disconnecting the phone line (modern houses have a "test jack" that can be easily disconnected vice undoing copper wires). Lo and behold, it worked. Apparently, there was residual noise/interference traveling the line. With it disconnected, I have completely isolated my indoor jacks and I can use them to direct Ooma phone calls to other phone jacks (and thus other phones) in the house without any residual noise/interference. Mind you, for my situation, I have no outside phone service on my landline, so this works for me. For those who have service both through Ooma VOIP and standard landline, this will (probably) not work. I encourage you to take a look at the website I listed above to see if you can find a solution that works for your situation. Hope this helps!
#68961 by JRay7
Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:31 am
lbmofo wrote:What happens if your phone is connected directly to your ooma?
Is your house wiring disconnected from the telephone company at the NIB outside the house?

If my phone is connected directly to the ooma (bypassing the phone jacks) there is no hum issue. I just figured out a few minutes ago that disconnecting my house from the external line at the junction box gets rid of the hum, so I now can use my indoor telephone jacks to transmit ooma calls. Check out my latest post.

Thanks for the questions!
#88668 by rmeden
Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:18 pm
Sorry to reply to an old thread, but this thread came up top in a Google search so I thought I'd post my solution.

Look at the phone jack in the Telo. Notice the 4 pins? That means the jack is designed for a 2-line phone, but of course the circuitry isn't connected for the second line. (but it is connected to something! (probably the floating ground from the adapter).

Now look at your phone cord... see the number of pins? It probably has 4. Go find one with only 2 pins.. and Bingo, the noise should be gone. It will prevent the Telo circuitry from messing with the other line.

Robert
#89025 by Packin Heat
Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:17 am
I am a new Ooma user and had this same issue. My Panasonic base was powered by plugging into a power strip that had numerous other devices (TV, Blu Ray, etc...). I plugged the phone into the wall outlet and the buzz disappeared.

I know this is a very late reply, but I hope its helpful.
#92658 by snowbank
Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:49 pm
My first few days experience with Ooma were great but this afternoon I am hearing a strong buzz on the line and the party I called to can hear it also. This morning there was no buzz. No hardware changes have been made today.

Several buzz reduction techniques are given in this thread but none would be helpful here:
My corded phone is plugged directly into the Ooma unit so existing house internal wiring and demarc are not involved.
The corded phone requires no power so changing where it plugs in does not apply.
The phone cord from the Ooma to my coded phone is only two wires.

This is quite a disappointment. Ooma is just in test phase for me now so I can still use my normal landline via Comcast. While Ooma was buzzing, the regular Comcast landline was fine. And the Ooma is behind the Comcast telephony modem and a router. Please don't tell me my Telo is dying in less than a week..
#92661 by thunderbird
Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:31 pm
snowbank wrote:My first few days experience with Ooma were great but this afternoon I am hearing a strong buzz on the line and the party I called to can hear it also. This morning there was no buzz. No hardware changes have been made today.

Several buzz reduction techniques are given in this thread but none would be helpful here:
My corded phone is plugged directly into the Ooma unit so existing house internal wiring and demarc are not involved.
The corded phone requires no power so changing where it plugs in does not apply.
The phone cord from the Ooma to my coded phone is only two wires.

This is quite a disappointment. Ooma is just in test phase for me now so I can still use my normal landline via Comcast. While Ooma was buzzing, the regular Comcast landline was fine. And the Ooma is behind the Comcast telephony modem and a router. Please don't tell me my Telo is dying in less than a week..

Some things to try:
Make sure the Ooma Telo is positioned at least four feet away from any other electric/electronic device.

Try testing with a completely different phone.

Remove power from the Ooma Telo, and then repower the Ooma Telo.