This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#67769 by gjwhitehorn
Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:55 pm
Aveamantium wrote:
gjwhitehorn wrote:Maybe they should hire someone who would monitor the forums as their primary job.

I'm assuming you've run a test here http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html ? If not try it and check out your TCP Delay and Jitter as TCP delay >100ms and/or jitter > 2ms will tend to give you delay. I'd equate my delay on my Telo and Hub to talking on a Cell Phone to a Land Line. However, I'd agree that talking to someone on a cell phone using VoIP (in general) can take some patience.

I don't understand why you quoted me; you don't appear to be talking to me.
#67774 by lbmofo
Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:14 pm
I think that was a random quote :P
#67788 by Aveamantium
Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:01 pm
gjwhitehorn wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:
gjwhitehorn wrote:Maybe they should hire someone who would monitor the forums as their primary job.

I'm assuming you've run a test here http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html ? If not try it and check out your TCP Delay and Jitter as TCP delay >100ms and/or jitter > 2ms will tend to give you delay. I'd equate my delay on my Telo and Hub to talking on a Cell Phone to a Land Line. However, I'd agree that talking to someone on a cell phone using VoIP (in general) can take some patience.

I don't understand why you quoted me; you don't appear to be talking to me.

I like random quoting... Seriously, I meant to add that ntoy is an Ooma Mod that frequents these boards and helps a lot but I kind of SPACED OUT :shock: squirrel :!:
#67870 by nibes
Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:20 pm
Hello Aveamantium

Thanks for you input. I did the speed test using the link you gave me and my connection is just fine. I use a service called unWired Broadband since I live in the country and there are no wired or cable options available. The service is quite good, altho I don't pay the premium price for the fastest connection - I average around 3 Mbps download, 2 upload. No two tests are ever the same. On the link you gave me, on a Friday evening, I measured about 1.5 down and up, jitter only 6.8 ms (worse of two tests) packet loss zero. QOS measured 59% first time, 97% second time.

So - I guess what I see is what I get: somewhat variable service, acceptable overall but at times a pain.

I have downloaded and printed the QOS info from Ooma support and have yet to get into it.

I have one other question: I have my Ooma connected as follows - internet from the modem to the router, and router to the Ooma. If I connect Ooma to the modem, as suggested, Ooma never completes the initialization, apparently not recognizing the incoming signal, and the red blinking flower is all I get. I'm not sure how to fix this.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Paul
#67876 by Aveamantium
Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:32 pm
If you want to connect the Ooma device behind your modem as opposed to behind your router you'll need to connect to the home port with a PC and make sure "use built in" mac address in the network settings. Next, you'll want to turn everything off including the modem. First plug in the modem and wait for about a min. Then plug in the Ooma.

Keep in mind that the only real benefit of having the Ooma directly behind the modem is for Qos and "probably" won't help with delay. I used to have a wireless ISP and I always had a little more delay then when I got set up using cable internet. Just wanted to let you know that it will never be quite as good as a wired connection, but it can still be fairly good.
#67956 by nibes
Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 am
Thanks again, Aveamantium

I've contacted my ISP and it seems that I my 4-year old equipment is unable QOS. I agreed to get an upgrade and faster guaranteed speeds for an additional monthly fee that is still quite a bit less than I was paying for my AT&T telephone. We'll see if it helps!

Meanwhile, I have experienced less delay on all my calls. I does rankle me that quality is so inconsistent.

On another question, do you have any info on using other VOIP phones? My office uses a very nice Cisco phone that connects directly to the internet. I'm told that the setup is from the phone itself. I like it because it is a nice desk phone, with stand and easy to read, large display and phone book.

Paul
#68634 by Stuntman
Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:40 pm
Is it possible that the increased number of Ooma users has somehow degraded the performance of the system as a whole? Seems odd that so many had perfect connections for so long and then over the last few months have seen that get worse and worse.. with nothing changing in any of our equipment or datalines...

Maybe?
#68786 by DONALDMITT
Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:17 pm
I am new to Ooma as of earlier this week. I also had a delay and outbound voice choppiness. My ISP was providing 20mbps download and 1mbps upload speed. In doing some research, I found the upload speed was possibly the problem for the outbound voice choppiness so I upgraded my ISP to a 2mbps upload speed ($10 per month upgrade) and now the voice choppiness and delay are non existent.

I was paying $40 phone + $15 taxes each month for my phone so I am still saving roughly $41 per month even with the upgrade in speed. It may be worth a try if you are having the same issues as I.
#68787 by lbmofo
Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:20 pm
Yes, preference is not to have one of them "lite" internet packages because you don't know how they cap your speed; maybe very bad for VoIP.