This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#67547 by oomacustomer
Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 pm
Started using Ooma two months ago. Things were good at first, but now am encoutering delay with voice. Wind up talking over the other person, as delay can be as much as one second. I've seen quite a few posts regarding this issue, starting around August and September, but I don't see any solution posted by Ooma. My wife, as I read in another post, is also at the point of refusing to use Ooma, as are her sister and friend, because they can't stand how it messes up the conversation.

Ooma, is this something you are working on? Is there a fix?
#67554 by southsound
Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:52 pm
oomacustomer wrote:My wife, as I read in another post, is also at the point of refusing to use Ooma, as are her sister and friend, because they can't stand how it messes up the conversation.

You have to read the ooma forums to discover how your wife feels about your ooma? Have you ever considered counseling? Maybe some classes on post-marital communication? I have some older friends who were so enamored with the first Palm Pilots that they would sit across the living room and send each other messages. Maybe this would be a great first step for you and your wife. Later on, things like leaving notes in a safe spot might be an option. :P
#67555 by Bill D
Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:14 pm
oomacustomer wrote:Things were good at first, but now am encoutering delay

I've had 3 Hubs for over a year (one in California and 2 in Florida) and I've been noticing significantly increased voice delay on all 3 Hubs over the last month. My DSL network connections have not changed and are good (23 MS ping, 4.1 MOS score), so I suspect something is changing at Ooma or Ooma's partners' servers. My wife is not complaining yet, but maybe I should read some other posts to be sure. :D

Other than the increased delay, all has been well with my Hubs. I'm curious if other users are noticing increased delay.

Bill
#67626 by nibes
Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:27 pm
I have also been noticing the delay. I'm relatively new with Ooma, only about 2 months, so I don't have a long history, but my observation is that the service is inconsistent. The delay is maddening and is almost exactly the same as talking with 2 cell phones. The other problem I'm having is that the caller tells me that I am breaking up - that kind of pixellated sound you hear when a digital broadcast starts breaking up on TV.

I'm getting real close to porting my phone number back to AT&T so I can at least make local calls with good sound quality.

This is all really disappointing because I only bought my Ooma after reading lots of positive feedback from many happy users.
#67627 by Bill D
Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:43 pm
Yes, it is disappointing. After no noticeable delay problems for over a year with my 3 Hubs, I believe this problem must be due to a recent change at Ooma. Today, my calls from Newport Beach CA, had noticeably longer delay.

I've also seen other posts about faxes not working over Ooma lately, which supports the idea of a recent change causing trouble.

What's up Ooma?

Bill
#67702 by nibes
Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:29 pm
Hi Bill

Since you're the senior guy here (a year versus my 2 months) is it common for folks to make these posts without a moderator offering a reply? Is it necessary for us to contact Ooma support with the question? I thought our posts were monitored but this long silence from Ooma makes me unsure!

Paul
#67704 by Bill D
Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:06 pm
nibes wrote: is it common for folks to make these posts without a moderator offering a reply? Is it necessary for us to contact Ooma support with the question?

Paul,

I've seen moderators reply on some issues (ntoy has been very helpful in the past on several issues). My "What's up Ooma" comment was obviously aimed at stirring up a moderator comment. On your second question, I've found the Ooma call center folks to be script readers with little knowledge, so I wouldn't waste time there.

Surprisingly, I was on several calls today and the delay didn't seem noticeable. I called 909-390-0003 and listened to my echo back and the delay seemed to be less than it was before, but I don't have an actual numerical delay measurement (which would be nice to have). I compared the delay on my cell phone calling that same echo number and the delay was about the same.

Maybe Ooma fixed something?

Bill
#67706 by murphy
Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:23 am
nibes wrote:Hi Bill

Since you're the senior guy here (a year versus my 2 months) is it common for folks to make these posts without a moderator offering a reply? Is it necessary for us to contact Ooma support with the question? I thought our posts were monitored but this long silence from Ooma makes me unsure!

Paul

This is a user to user forum. The vast majority of replies will be from other users like me.

The moderators do check in from time to time.
They are Ooma employees but moderating the forum is not their primary job.
Dennis P for example is a vice-president.
#67738 by gjwhitehorn
Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 am
Maybe they should hire someone who would monitor the forums as their primary job.
#67746 by Aveamantium
Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:57 am
gjwhitehorn wrote:Maybe they should hire someone who would monitor the forums as their primary job.

I'm assuming you've run a test here http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html ? If not try it and check out your TCP Delay and Jitter as TCP delay >100ms and/or jitter > 2ms will tend to give you delay. I'd equate my delay on my Telo and Hub to talking on a Cell Phone to a Land Line. However, I'd agree that talking to someone on a cell phone using VoIP (in general) can take some patience.