This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#67484 by dwasch
Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:52 am
Hello.

I have an ooma teleo that I bought about four months ago but am just starting to use regularly. It's set up as follows:

Cable Modem => Airport Extreme => Ooma.

The quality of calls is fine, and my internet connection seems to work fine with Ooma, but
there is a significant delay when making any calls - near or far, cell phones or landlines. The delay is severe enough that we have awkward conversations where each caller is talking over the other. In fact, my wife basically refuses to use it anymore and relies on her cellphone instead.

Here is what I've already tried to solve the problem:

(1) switching the order of the setup, so that ooma comes before the router
(2) switching to openDNS
(3) setting quality of service settings on the Ooma so they match the max speed attained on internet connection speed tests (as per Ooma support advice I found on the internet).

None of these have worked.

Here are my stats from the VOIP speed test website ( http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html ):

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6265008 bps
Upload speed: 732832 bps
Download quality of service: 68 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 22 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 75 ms
Average round trip time to server: 78 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6320000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0087776
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 6990400bps

Any ideas for resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
#67506 by bmccollum
Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:06 am
My parents have had this same ongoing problem with their setup. They have an all-in-one combined dsl router / modem, not an Apple Router like you have though.

Good luck in finding a solution to this. We have the Ooma Telo in our house and the delay is there, but it's not at all to a point where we step all over a conversation and vice versa when using it. My parents' delay is horrendous though.