This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#66797 by lzhj9k
Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:23 am
Scott

I am currently connected as Ooma suggests ie Modem > Telo > Router > PC's, Printer. Telo QoS Disabled. ie 0 0

I am going to go to placing the Telo AFTER the router then try a few calls this afternoon

I will then, if necessary, attempt QoS thru the Netgear WNDR 3700 AV router....

Mike
#66813 by scottlindner
Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:15 pm
lzhj9k wrote:Scott

I am currently connected as Ooma suggests ie Modem > Telo > Router > PC's, Printer. Telo QoS Disabled. ie 0 0

I am going to go to placing the Telo AFTER the router then try a few calls this afternoon

I will then, if necessary, attempt QoS thru the Netgear WNDR 3700 AV router....

Mike

I am suggesting a test, not a configuration change.
#66821 by jhphone
Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:21 pm
lzhj9k wrote:I have been working to improve my call quality since I purchased my Telo in July

Here are the results from the mentioned PING test

I have replaced my modem with a Motorola SB 6120

I have upgraded my Comcast package to Blast from Perfromance

I have purchased a new Router Netgear WNDR3700 AV

I have Telo handsets

My wife complains about call (voice) lag and echo'ing

Voice delay.

I'm having this same problem -- as are others.
Example viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569

I also get the echo.

Then there's the half-duplex Ooma transmission: when I talk the other party is blanked out. Like CB radios of the sixties.

All in all, Ooma "HD" phone quality is inferior to pre-twentieth century Bell phones:

Substantial voice delay,
Half-duplex (one way at a time) transmission,
Echo,
Breaking up.

Ooma ignores these problems.
#67893 by 7193258732
Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:15 am
I'm having the same problem and it started around October 1st. I'm very afraid that Ooma isn't up to the task of handling the growth they are seeing. I too will have to drop service if it doesn't improve. I have high-speed Comast. Wish I'd just gone with Comcast VoIP... more expensive, but it would have been hassle free and more reliable.
#67901 by autoxer
Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:30 pm
I have also had the problems above. People comment that the first part of a spoken work gets cut off and sometimes in mid-sentence a word or two goes missing. Occasionally the half duplex problem kicks in where in an on-going conversation the other party can't tell I'm there. Then there is the problem of the OOMA V-mail picking up calls at one ring. I have it set at 6 rings
so my Panasonic machine will pick it up (4 rings). Instead after one ring it goes straight to the OOMA service. We still get a msg, but it's annoying to have to play roullette with the 2 machines to figure out who called and call back.
I'll post that as a separate msg to separate it from the QoS discussion.

Oh yeah; I just tested my I-net speeds and got 22mb DL and 3.7mb UL. My modem is happy, the internet works great and both digital HD tvs are fine. My wife even has no problem with her iMAC which runs wirelessly to the NEW Belkin router, which is downstream of the OOMA.
#67904 by scottlindner
Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:53 pm
autoxer wrote:Oh yeah; I just tested my I-net speeds and got 22mb DL and 3.7mb UL. My modem is happy, the internet works great and both digital HD tvs are fine. My wife even has no problem with her iMAC which runs wirelessly to the NEW Belkin router, which is downstream of the OOMA.

Speed and surfing the net and reading email have absolutely nothing to do with VOIP quality.