This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#70905 by Juli
Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 pm
I've had Ooma a couple of years and dropped calls began sporadically about a month ago. Now every call goes dead, incoming and outgoing, within five to ten minutes. I have also had callers complain that they were sent to voicemail after one ring. With the amount of posts about dropped calls this shouldn't be the subscribers' problem but I don't see Ooma addressing this. I don't want to go back to Verizon but I don't see any other choice.
#70908 by Davesworld
Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 am
Juli wrote:I've had Ooma a couple of years and dropped calls began sporadically about a month ago. Now every call goes dead, incoming and outgoing, within five to ten minutes. I have also had callers complain that they were sent to voicemail after one ring. With the amount of posts about dropped calls this shouldn't be the subscribers' problem but I don't see Ooma addressing this. I don't want to go back to Verizon but I don't see any other choice.

I wasn't aware that Ooma is the only alternative to Verizon. There are literally dozens of providers if not hundreds. Being that VOIP is one of my hobbies but at the same time, my main home phone is also voip, there are alternatives, both BYOD and DISCO, some excellent examples in either case. I haven't used POTS since 1999, used ISDN until 2007 and then VOIP all the way. Yeah, I have a cell phone too that I use to check email more than I talk on it while not at home.

BYOD = Bring Your Own Device

DISCO = Device Is Supplied by COmpany
#70911 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:18 am
The following setup corrected my dropped call problems, plus several other voice quality problems that I was having:

General Outline for Setting up Ooma Behind (on Local Area Network side of) Router.

The steps below are just suggestions. Your may choose to use some or all of the Outline steps below, depending on your equipment and network requirements.

1. Optional suggestion: Install Cat 6 shielded patch cables from modem to router and from router to Ooma device.
2. Ooma device:
a. Enable Ooma device’s built-in MAC address.
b. Assign static IP address (IP number obtained from your router) in the Ooma device.
c. Disable QoS in Ooma device by setting upload/download settings to zero.
d. To be used for Ooma device behind router only: If after you have configured and tested your setup per this document and you still are experiencing dropped calls etc., change your QoS upload/download settings in your Ooma device to at least 2000 kbps above your Internet provider upload/download speeds, as measured with speedtest.net.
3. Verify that your router’s firmware is up to date.
4. Verify that your router provides support for QoS (Quality of Service) VoIP priority. (Some router manufactures use similar but different names for QoS), reference check router manual.
5. Enable router QoS settings as required, reference check router manual.
6. Place your Ooma device into your router’s DMZ using the static IP address you assigned to your Ooma device, reference check router manual.
7. Create in router, router rule(s) to open Ooma ports, (Setup location sometimes found in router gaming menu) reference check router manual.
a. Ooma uses the following application ports for data and voice traffic,
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194, UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443.
8. With Ooma device connected behind (LAN side of) router, don’t use Ooma home port. Use your router ports for other devices on your LAN system.
9. Do a cold boot of router.
10. Do a cold boot of Ooma device after router cold boot has been completed.
11. Optional suggestion: For new installation, test Ooma device VoIP phone system for a few days connected to only one wired phone.
Good Luck.