This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#68982 by jhphone
Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:00 pm
Bill D wrote:...
Has anyone else seen a big increase in delay?

What's up Ooma?

Bill

Thanks for the data.

I just measured 560ms with the 909-390-0003 echo, not much more than the 520ms I've been getting.

I did a ping test:
    Pinging www3.ooma.com [208.83.244.196] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.83.244.196: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=244
      Ping statistics for 208.83.244.196:
      Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 19ms

Can't blame the Internet.
#68984 by southsound
Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:15 pm
jhphone wrote:I just measured 560ms with the 909-390-0003 echo, not much more than the 520ms I've been getting.

I did a ping test:
    Pinging www3.ooma.com [208.83.244.196] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.83.244.196: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=244
      Ping statistics for 208.83.244.196:
      Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 19ms

Can't blame the Internet.

Reminds me of a song from my youth... "You put the packets in, you take the packets out, you do the Hokey Pokey and you shake it all about."

I think you may be right about the delay being induced by software or transcoding on the server end. Maybe this is the price we pay for the security of a VPN tunnel or some other server side activity. I doubt that it is the Telo itself because we're told the Telo processor has twice the horsepower of the original hub. And many people use a much less complex ATA (like the PAP2T) without the long delays.
#68987 by Bill D
Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:44 pm
jhphone wrote:I just measured 560ms with the 909-390-0003 echo, not much more than the 520ms I've been getting.

I'm stumped why my delay increased so much today from the amount I've regularly measured as recently as a few days ago.

My consistent non-changing Hub-to-Hub delay measurements seems to prove the gateway that goes out to the telco network from the Ooma server is the culprit. However, all Ooma users should be using the same gateways when connecting out of the Ooma server to 909-390-0003 so I should not be the only one seeing this greatly increased delay.

Maybe there's some changes going on at Ooma this weekend.

Bill
#69025 by harry12
Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:51 pm
Just my two cents...
I am a new user. Initialized November 07 and have been looking in the forums for information. I started reading this "delay" thread so last Thursday, using the 909 number, I would say,"Test" and then the complete word would come back without stepping on me. Today ( Sunday ) I tried the 909 number again and ... VERY quick return. Almost instantaneous! Hope this is a solid fix. ;)
I'm in Central Florida. The 352 area, 854 exchange and have my Hub between my modem and router with DSL and phone on the same line.
#69036 by Bill D
Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:47 pm
Harry - - Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info. I've had 3 Hubs for a year and generally I'm a happy customer.

After reading your comment, I just measured my delay again with Audacity and the 909 echo number. It still measures 630 ms compared to the 410 ms that I was steadily measuring up to several days ago.

I now think something is weird related only to testing with the 900 echo number. I again measured the one-way delay from Ooma to my AT&T cell phone and it was 420 ms (about the same as it has been), so for now, I've decided to ignore the 200 ms increase I've been measuring since yesterday with the 909 echo number.

I'll see if I notice increased delay on actual conversations this week. Also, maybe on Monday Dennis P will comment on this thread and shed some light on what's going on with the delay.

Bill
#69053 by Dennis P
Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 am
We're testing a different carrier to see if the latency on that number has anything to do with the partner we are sending it to. The new carrier we are testing apparently has an even worse delay than the original one. We'll be doing some more experiments today.
#69054 by tommies
Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:16 am
I have not paying attention to this issue till now.

I just measure the delay with the 900-390-0003 loop back number and it's consistent with many poster reported here. The delay, in my recording, is over 700ms.

ping & traceroute to www3.ooma.com is 75ms on average.
#69069 by Bill D
Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:56 am
Dennis P wrote:We're testing a different carrier to see if the latency on that number has anything to do with the partner we are sending it to. The new carrier we are testing apparently has an even worse delay than the original one. We'll be doing some more experiments today.

Dennis - - Thanks for the update

Your new carrier testing explains why the 909 echo delay measurement got much worse this weekend while all my other delay tests stayed the same. Obviously the 909 calls went out over the new carrier and my tests to my AT&T cell phone did not.

I just now did another 909 echo test and it measured 460 ms, which is back down close to where it has regularly been. At this amount of delay, Ooma is cell-like, but it would be terrific if you could reduce the delay even more. The cell-like delay is the only gripe I have with my 3 Hubs after one year.

As everything gets more automated, good customer interaction is getting rare, so thanks again for keeping us customers in the loop.

Bill