This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#68508 by Bill D
Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:31 am
dschmidt_2000 wrote:However calling some other numbers today, with real conversations, the delay was more like 500 - 800mS.

I've been curious if the delay is doubled if the other party has VOIP as compared to the other party having POTS. My Ooma measures 400ms, but I've noticed some real conversations seeming to have longer delay (as you have), but there's no way to measure them.

How much delay does your T-Mobile VOIP have using the 909 PC recorder delay test?
#68528 by Bill D
Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:19 pm
dschmidt_2000 wrote:I'm getting 280mS with my TMobile@Home VOIP

Thanks. That shows for sure that your Ooma delay problem is not with your equipment or your ISP and must be completly caused by Ooma servers or their partner's servers.
#68538 by geobernd
Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:00 pm
I did a real world 'echo' test by calling myself from my Verizon Wirelss cell.
Very nasty results (using exact timing in audacity):
Verizon Wireless -> Ooma 650ms
Verizon Wirelss -> Vonage 370ms
Clearly a problem with Ooma....
This is day 2 and I am not a happy camper....
Hopefully this can be resolved quickly - otherwise my move from Vonage won't happen. Will open an official trouble ticket now
#68539 by Bill D
Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:25 pm
geobernd wrote:I did a real world 'echo' test by calling myself from my Verizon Wirelss cell

Cool idea. I did the same test between Ooma and my AT&T iPhone4. This info may help in your comparison.
I put one phone on speaker and mute and held it near the PC microphone while taping the two phones together.
AT&T cell to Ooma - 450 ms
Ooma to AT&T cell - 410 ms
I believe this means a real conversation between these phones would have 860 ms round trip delay.

I have 2 Ooma Hubs, so I tested Ooma to Ooma using two different Uniden wireless handsets.
Ooma to Ooma - 330 ms

Then I got inspired. My wife has a Samsung cell on AT&T.
AT&T cell to AT&T cell - 275 ms

Then I got more inspired. My wife's sister has a Verizon cell.
AT&T cell to Verizon cell - 290 ms
Verizon cell to AT&T cell - 290 ms
#68544 by dschmidt_2000
Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:56 pm
geobernd wrote:I did a real world 'echo' test by calling myself from my Verizon Wirelss cell.
Very nasty results (using exact timing in audacity):
Verizon Wireless -> Ooma 650ms
Verizon Wirelss -> Vonage 370ms
Clearly a problem with Ooma....
This is day 2 and I am not a happy camper....
Hopefully this can be resolved quickly - otherwise my move from Vonage won't happen. Will open an official trouble ticket now

This is on the same internet connection?
Come on Ooma! Get the basics fixed before spending time on HD sound quality.
#68631 by subguy
Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:19 pm
I was just reading all 6 pages of this thread... HOPING that there'd be some sort of solution at the end. I'm having the same exact problems as other people are reporting. I'm in the 650 - 700 ms delay range. Totally UNSAT. If ooma does not come up with a solution, and quickly, I'm going to abandon ship, and return the device to Best Buy.

Ooma moderators, do you have any idea what is causing these delay issues? This is a BIG DEAL!!! :o
#68632 by Stuntman
Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:35 pm
Not only is this frustrating, but the lack of comment or even attempt to assist is a bit worrisome. Even if it were not a widespread problem, you would hope that an Ooma moderator or two would jump in and try to help out.

I just bought a hub that is having trouble.. maybe I should have bought a Telo.. if so, it is too late to take it back... so I'm out of luck.. Please Ooma.. acknowledge us, or lose us as fans and customers.. I've 'sold' at least a dozen of these units for you already.. don't make me wish I hadn't talked all my family and friends into this by slacking on the customer service side of things.

:|
#68633 by geobernd
Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:36 pm
One more round of tests (on the same internet connection - Vonage and Ooma numbers are in the same geographical location):
Gizmo -> Vonage 230ms
Gizmo -> Ooma 650ms

No matter which combinations I try ooma stays at 650ms....
The Vonage numbers on the other hand look consistently good.
#68682 by aderyn
Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:54 pm
I just bought a hub that is having trouble.. maybe I should have bought a Telo.. if so, it is too late to take it back... so I'm out of luck.. Please Ooma.. acknowledge us, or lose us as fans and customers.. I've 'sold' at least a dozen of these units for you already.. don't make me wish I hadn't talked all my family and friends into this by slacking on the customer service side of things.

Telo is not the answer. I have the Telo and all of my friends are complaining about the lag, as well. A friend and I did an informal test today and she timed 3-4 seconds of delay between when I said something and when she heard it. Needless to say, this makes for a conversation where we're stepping all over each other.

In reading the 1- and 2-star reviews on Amazon.com, I note that appallingly bad customer service is the biggest complaint. I haven't discontinued my phone service yet (just starting up the Telo two days ago), and at this point it looks as if I won't. And believe me, NO ONE hates their phone company more than I hate Centurylink. The last thing I want to do is continue with them if there is any other option.