This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#67983 by murphy
Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:08 am
gjwhitehorn wrote:
murphy wrote:Can someone who has a landline with free long distance capability (It is a 900 number) make the measurement?
I'm wondering what the delay is on a copper circuit.
500 ms seems high by a factor of 10.

gjwhitehorn wrote:Also, it's not a "900" number like you're probably thinking. 1-900 numbers, the ones that charge exorbitant fees for connecting, ONLY use the area code 900 -- not 901, 902, 903, or anything else -- and those fees would apply to anyone, even people with free long distance. My area code is 903. 909 is just another area code. And I'm curious, how do you not have free long distance? I thought most companies offered that. We're on at&t and ours is unlimited; we pay $35/month for the phone plan (before taxes and fees, of course).

I stand corrected on the 900 number comment.
I have a budget Verizon land line for my alarm system. $16 per month and over half of that is taxes and fees. It only has measured local calling. No regional calling and no long distance calling.
Ooma provides for my telephone needs.
#67986 by bigzeto
Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:39 am
Excessive delay here as well. I have the Core Hub. I used to have Vonage for 3 years and I never noticed delay once with them. I will run the tests later tonight to see how I compare. I prefer to talk to my wife on our mobile phones because it is a normal conversation vs how the call goes on the ooma line.
#67993 by Bill D
Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:23 am
bigzeto wrote:I prefer to talk to my wife on our mobile phones because it is a normal conversation vs how the call goes on the ooma line.

My Ooma line has felt "cell-like" over the last week which is acceptable compared to the few weeks before that. To compare, I just ran the delay test on my AT&T cell (iPhone4) and it ranged from 390 ms to 420 ms which is essentially the same as my 410 ms test results last night on my Ooma line. If Ooma delay gets unacceptable again, I'll test and post.

Bill
#68163 by tfk
Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:24 pm
I found the below explanation on VOIP latency at http://www.voip-news.com/faq/voip-service-level-faq/

It says it starts becoming an issue for users if round trip latency is more than 250 ms, and a standards organization recommends 300 ms round trip (150 x 2) as a minimum service level. So is anyone measuring 300 ms or less? If you have that, do you even notice any latency?

-------------------------------------------
Q: What is VoIP latency?

A: VoIP latency causes delays in packet delivery. Physical distance, the number of router hops, encryption, and voice/data conversion all impact latency. Users begin noticing latency as a service level issue when roundtrip latency is greater than 250 milliseconds (ms). The International Telecommunications Union recommends that latency never exceed 150 ms one way (from speaker to listener).
#68193 by Bill D
Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:35 pm
tfk wrote:....starts becoming an issue for users if round trip latency is more than 250 ms

Before cell phones, I think folks were accustomed to no delay and therefore more sensitive to delay.

Cell phones have trained folks to tolerate more delay and also tolerate other sound quality issues. I personally find Ooma at 400 ms tolerable (considering the price) which is the same as my iPhone4 on AT&T.

Bill
#68242 by tfk
Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:39 pm
I would be delighted with 390 - 420 ms of latency on my Ooma line--that's actually a little better than my Virgin Mobile phone, which I have gotten used to. But I am getting around 550 ms on my Oooma line tonight, calling the 909 390-0003. Any idea why the Ooma line seems slower than the 390 - 420 ms? I would gladly change equipment on my end if I knew of a way to improve the latency that way.

I use Comcast Cable and and received the following VOIP results when NOT using Ooma or anything else on my pc, my Teleo is in front of the router (& after the modem):

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6685672 bps
Upload speed: 3224288 bps
Download quality of service: 70 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 70 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 100 ms
Average round trip time to server: 102 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 23200000bps
Route concurrency: 3.4701073
Download TCP forced idle: 78 %
#68251 by Bill D
Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:18 pm
tfk wrote:Any idea why the Ooma line seems slower than the 390 - 420 ms?

I don't know why it is slower and don't know how to improve it, but this comparative info may help you. My AT&T Uverse stats are below and it shows my TCP round trip delay is 97 ms compared to your 102 ms (almost the same). I just checked my Ooma delay at 430 ms.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 7845328 bps
Upload speed: 1046888 bps
Download quality of service: 88 %
Upload quality of service: 58 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 77 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 97 ms
Average round trip time to server: 97 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 29600000bps
Route concurrency: 3.7729461
Download TCP forced idle: 82 %
Maximum route speed: --
#68391 by Jimwilson1014
Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:36 pm
Is there a resolution to this yet? I ran the test and came up consistently with a 600 to 700ms delay. This is horrible, everyone I call tells me how annoying this is. I love the technology and cost savings, but it has to be usable. Ooma, please report something on this issue so we know where we all stand. I may need to go back to AT&T, and I really, truly HATE AT&T.
#68470 by geobernd
Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:02 pm
I hooked up my Hub today and noticed a somewhat larger delay as well.
Testing with Audacity and the 909 number here is my data:
Ooma: 450ms
Vonage: 300ms
As I am on the East coast and 909 is on the West coast at least 90ms is due to the distance to the target location -
Discounting 90ms on both it would look like
Ooma: 360ms
Vonage 210ms
So 50% more latency on Ooma.
I wonder if this is only routing or may also be sampling size?
It would be very interesting to test with an East Cost number.

Update: I checked my router logs and some interesting info that explains part of the longer delay:
Ping to the Vonage gateway my box is using from my house is 8ms.
Ping to the various Ooma IPs my Ooma box is using from my house is between 85 and 89ms.
Is there no Ooma gateway in NY Metro (kind of surprising) - or is there a routing issue...
#68494 by dschmidt_2000
Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:00 pm
I had an Ooma tech ask me to call the echo back number and use a microphone and PC Sound Recorder to record the echo and then time it. Problem is that I don't get a LONG delay when calling the echo back number.
I measured 360mS when calling the echo back number.

However calling some other numbers today, with real conversations, the delay was more like 500 - 800mS.

I also used my T-Mobile VOIP phoneline today (it's on the SAME dsl line as my OOMA and is downstream from it) talking to one of my employees to troubleshoot a problem at work - no delay. I've had the Tmobile service for probably 3 years now and have NEVER experienced sound delays with it.