This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#80085 by EA PA
Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:49 am
thunderbird wrote:
kdawgud wrote:Thunderbird -
What is your round-trip delay when calling 925-259-0082? I know you said the 909 number was 350ms. Just curious if you actually see any difference between the internal vs external numbers. My latest time to 925-259-0082 is 350ms, but the 909 number is 800-900ms.

This morning my delay test for phone number 925-259-0082 was approximately 220 ms.

Tbird,
I finally had a chance to test my delay. I have Choice One tel co. I do not usually hear much delay, but do not make many long distance calls. I guess I should try. I suspect I will have some delay issues at 750 mSec.

Using 909-390-0003 from east coast, using Audacity, I got 760 mSec delay using the pencil tap method. Results are repeatable.

I then tried 925-259-0082, and got about 340 mSec delay. Confirmed results were similar between handset and Dect 6 Uniden. Big difference... :?
#80100 by horsecore
Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:42 am
Well, unfortunately, the firmware update has not made much difference in my delay problem. :(

Sadly, this was the last e-mail I received from customer support last Friday and I have not yet followed-up (the response is in regard to addressing the problem with the carrier):

Thank you very kindly for your email. Sadly, nothing concrete came of it. We are trying to avoid a blame game. But we still have a fire lit under them to fix this issue matter of factly. Management asked today for anyone who is willing to test calls on Sunday and send me some call samples for escalation Monday morning. If you can help with that, it would be great.
#80101 by horsecore
Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:43 am
Bill D wrote:
horsecore wrote:Bill -

Has your Ooma received the new firmware release yet and if so, has it helped the delay problem?

I have not yet received the FW update but am curious to see if I notice an improvement.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the new firmware update is only for the Telo. I have 3 Hubs all with 44468.44468.

However, it will be interesting to see if a FW update improves the Telo's delay.

Sorry about that Bill - I forgot that you had Ooma Hubs.

How goes your delay issue - any improvement and/or progress?
#80102 by Bill D
Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:34 am
horsecore wrote:How goes your delay issue - any improvement and/or progress?

Seems better lately on actual calls but not as good as last year. I'm living with it.
Just measured (from Florida):
909-390-0003 = 650 ms
925-259-0082 = 300 ms
Ping www3.ooma.com = 99 ms

What's your latest delay measurements? Did working with Ooma tech support help at all?

I'm confused about what I read on this forum about individual Ooma users having their "assigned carrier" changed by Ooma.
Seems to me when any Ooma user makes a call, it goes VOIP to Ooma first and then the call goes out of Ooma over the carrier Ooma has contracted to route that call to the "called number", so we all use the same carrier when any of us test delay using 909-390-0003, no matter where in the world we are calling from.

Bill
#80244 by andgrim
Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:38 am
Still no resolution to my Audio delay issue. I have opened tickets with Ooma, sent samples, and performed all the requested tests. I have not heard anything back from support now for over 14 days. I have sent multiple requests for status updates but nothing in return. Now I am just wondering is this the typical Ooma support experience to expect?
#80246 by richalger
Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:32 am
I have yet to try the Ooma support route with this problem. I do have the new firmware but it does not seem to have helped the delay and echo issues we have had for a month or so. I understand that this is a low cost replacement of my phone. I can understand the level of support.

It seems to me that this is more that just a few isolated experiences. There are people on this thread with a lot more understanding of telephony technology and it seems from all over the country. It cannot be a coincidence. Something happened recently ( in the last few months ) to cause a marked increase in voice delays and echo.

Does anyone else see it this way?
#80271 by Davesworld
Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:13 pm
richalger wrote:I have yet to try the Ooma support route with this problem. I do have the new firmware but it does not seem to have helped the delay and echo issues we have had for a month or so. I understand that this is a low cost replacement of my phone. I can understand the level of support.

It seems to me that this is more that just a few isolated experiences. There are people on this thread with a lot more understanding of telephony technology and it seems from all over the country. It cannot be a coincidence. Something happened recently ( in the last few months ) to cause a marked increase in voice delays and echo.

Does anyone else see it this way?

Yes. The problem started happening last Summer. It's called cheap call routing. No firmware can ever compensate for the calls being routed over the cheapest route of the day. This is my opinion, I could be wrong.
#80324 by richalger
Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:50 pm
Below is a copy of my email to Ooma. The most annoying problem is the echo we experience. Is anyone else having an echo problem?

--------------
The most annoying between the echo and the delay is the echo. I think it is nearly every time we make a call out from Ooma Telo the other person hears an echo of their own voice.

My setup is Internet->Cable Modem->Ooma Telo->Router->Other computers

I checked http://setup.ooma.com/advanced.lp. I had doubled the upstream a year ago. I am not sure when it was reset. It was at the default of 384 kbps. I doubled it to 768 kbps. The receiving caller from my Telo still hears their voice echo.

Here are the results from the web sites
http://www.speedtest.net/
- 58 ms ping
- 4.89 Mbps down
- 3.97 Mbps up
Test 2
- 44 ms ping
- 8.42 Mbps down
- 4.18 Mbps up

http://www.pingtest.net/
- 0% packet loss
- 57 ms ping
- 5 ms jitter
Test 2
- 0% packet loss
- 54 ms ping
- 2 ms jitter
Test 3
- 0% packet loss
- 47 ms ping
- 5 ms jitter

http://speedtest.phonepower.com/
This report refers to a connection test carried out by IP address 72.201.137.70 on 26 Apr 2011 23:14:36 GMT-07:00.
Upstream jitter 2.7 ms
Downstream jitter 5.5 ms
Upstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet loss 0.0 %
Upstream packet order 100.0 %
Downstream packet order 100.0 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
MOS 4.0
REGISTER ms 552 ms
INVITE ms 562 ms
BYE ms 2 ms
Test VoIP and Speed Test

Using the audacity pencil tap test these are my delays (http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&p=67874&hilit=+audacity+tap#p67874 )
From Telo using corded phone
909-390-0003

925-259-0082

Cell Phone
909-390-0003

925-259-0082

As I said at the beginning, the echo is more annoying by far. Please fix it.
#80325 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:29 am
richalger:
Echo is usually comes from phone equipment. Either on your end or the other parties end. (But usually on your end if you hear echo for every call placed and received).

The following is a process of elimination:
The Ooma device could be placed too close to other devices, such as your modem, router, cordless phone base, etc.
Try locating your Ooma device at least four feet from any other electric/electronic devices, than make and receive test phone calls.

If echo is still present:
Disconnect and unpower all phone equipment from your Ooma device's phone port. Remove power from your cordless phone base. Again for this test you must remove power from your cordless phone base.
Make and receive test calls with only one corded phone connected to your Ooma device's phone base.

If echo is still present, test with a different corded phone connected to the Ooma device's phone port.

If echo is still present, shut off your router completely and make and receive test phone calls again.

I found that when I removed all power from my GE 5.8 GHz cordless phone base, my echo went away. I tested with an old Slimline corded phone that produced no echo at all.
I had to purchase Panasonic DECT 6 Plus phones to correct my echo problem.
#80328 by tomcat
Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:40 am
richalger -

In addition to thunderbird's suggestions, also check to see if "Fax Mode" is enabled on your line. You can find this in myooma under phone numbers, on the right hand side click your phone number, then you should see an option for Fax Mode. Make sure that it is not checked.