This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#78902 by thunderbird
Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:14 am
kdawgud wrote:
thunderbird wrote:andgrim:

Other than having called someone from your Ooma phone connection to a another person, who also has an Ooma phone connection, and testing if there is delay during that call, I think you have tested everything on your side.

Your problem is probably a routing issue. An Ooma to Ooma call with little or no delay would prove it. For the routing problem, you have to contact Ooma and have them make corrections. You have to be persistent because they will sometimes "blow you off". I can tell you right now it will probably take some time with Ooma Customer Support, but in the end it's worth the effort.

I had a combination of things I had to correct with my home setup, and than get Ooma to correct the routing issue that caused part of my delay problem. Most often you will never know when the corrections are made. One day the delay is just gone, and mine has been that way ever since. I can make a call From China, where I am now, and have no delay.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Let us know how you come out.

Thunderbird,
You seem to be implying that andgrim's problems are limited to his/her account. However, if andgrim is able to get low delays ooma-to-ooma and only sees delays when calls leave ooma's network, wouldn't that seem to implicate a problem with ooma's link to the outside rather than his specific account (or his in-home setup)?

I guess if you are able to get low delays to any number, then perhaps the problems must be on a per-account basis. What are your typical measurable delays to 909-390-0003?

An Ooma to Ooma call that has no delay tells you that there is no problem with your home's LAN and the Ooma system. Than the problem is probably with the Ooma hand off or the Legicy carrier. Usually the problem is with one account or a very limited small cluster of accounts. That's why you will have delay and than by some mystery, it seems to have gone away by itself. Really what happened is that Ooma fixed the problem for someone else, and it fixed your problem also. But they only notified the original person that the problem was fixed.

But it’s very important to think of it as a case by case basis, so that every individual with the delay issue will contact Ooma Customer Support to report their problem. The more complaint’s about delay and than continuous follow-up contacts to Ooma Customer Support, the more pressure is put on Ooma Customer Support for correction of your delay issues.

I'm in China right now, and when making a call from here, using my USA home's Ooma Telo which I brought alone for this trip, to my next door neighbor in the USA, my delay by lessening is not heard at all. The call is loud and clear and clean and crisp, no delay heard at all, half way around the world. Its two o’clock in the morning here, (I’m still having jet-lag, day night change sleep problem) so I won't run any delay tests now, because it will wake to household. But later I will try to download the Audio Record software and try a test on the computer I'm using now.

Late add:
I measured approximately 350 ms using 909-390-0003 from China. In the past when I measure in the USA, the measured delay was much lower, somewhere around 200 ms or just a little higher. As I said before, my calls are loud and clear and clean and crisp, no delay heard at all, half way around the world.
#78905 by kdawgud
Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:43 am
thunderbird wrote:An Ooma to Ooma call that has no delay tells you that there is no problem with your home's LAN and the Ooma system. Than the problem is probably with the Ooma hand off or the Legicy carrier. Usually the problem is with one account or a very limited small cluster of accounts. That's why you will have delay and than by some mystery, it seems to have gone away by itself. Really what happened is that Ooma fixed the problem for someone else, and it fixed your problem also. But they only notified the original person that the problem was fixed.

But it’s very important to think of it as a case by case basis, so that every individual with the delay issue will contact Ooma Customer Support to report their problem. The more complaint’s about delay and than continuous follow-up contacts to Ooma Customer Support, the more pressure is put on Ooma Customer Support for correction of your delay issues.

I'm in China right now, and when making a call from here, using my USA home's Ooma Telo which I brought alone for this trip, to my next door neighbor in the USA, my delay by lessening is not heard at all. The call is loud and clear and clean and crisp, no delay heard at all, half way around the world. Its two o’clock in the morning here, (I’m still having jet-lag, day night change sleep problem) so I won't run any delay tests now, because it will wake to household. But later I will try to download the Audio Record software and try a test on the computer I'm using now.

Late add:
I measured approximately 350 ms using 909-390-0003 from China. In the past when I measure in the USA, the measured delay was much lower, somewhere around 200 ms or just a little higher. As I said before, my calls are loud and clear and clean and crisp, no delay heard at all, half way around the world.

Thanks for the details, Thunderbird

I think your 350ms delay to the 909 number proves it's not a global problem. I started the interaction with customer support (5 phone calls so far), but so far the only thing we've tried is playing with the QOS on my ooma box. The fact that I see no delay with the ooma echo number, but plenty of delay elsewhere seems to fall on deaf ears. The reps I have talked to seem convinced it's a problem with my own setup or my ISP (or at least are making me go through the motions) - even though the fact that I can get great response with the ooma line disproves this. Maybe I'll try the email route next to see if I can get a better jump into the "escalated" support that might actually be able to help.

Cheers!
#78908 by Bill D
Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:45 pm
thunderbird wrote:I measured approximately 350 ms using 909-390-0003 from China. In the past when I measure in the USA, the measured delay was much lower, somewhere around 200 ms or just a little higher. As I said before, my calls are loud and clear and clean and crisp, no delay heard at all, half way around the world.

Thunderbird - I'm curious - what's your ping time from China to www3.ooma.com?
#78922 by Davesworld
Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:16 pm
Bill D wrote:
thunderbird wrote:I measured approximately 350 ms using 909-390-0003 from China. In the past when I measure in the USA, the measured delay was much lower, somewhere around 200 ms or just a little higher. As I said before, my calls are loud and clear and clean and crisp, no delay heard at all, half way around the world.

Thunderbird - I'm curious - what's your ping time from China to www3.ooma.com?

In addition a traceroute would be interesting.
#78927 by thunderbird
Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:50 pm
Here it is:

(53.29 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

Pings from China to www3.ooma.com was very consistent. But tracert changed and missed different hops every time I ran it.

Late add: We received a call from California a while ago. The call was loud, but QoS was poor, but no delay. The caller hung up and called back. The second call from the California caller was perfect.
#78999 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:08 am
Since most long time CRONIC Delay Ooma phone user's delay problems are probably in the area of the Legacy Carrier:

And since I can call from a China using an Internet connection, using an Ooma Telo, for about a round trip call distance of about 16000 miles - half way around the earth, with no echo/delay problems at all; I'm wondering if Ooma Support could, for the Ooma CRONIC delay Phone Users, switch the handoff connection from their local current Legacy carrier, that the Ooma CRONIC Delay Phone User is assigned to now, to be assigned to another/different Legacy carrier in another region of the United States?

All Ooma phone calls within the United States are treated as local phone calls. Just the number of digits dialed from the local region to other regions can differ. So the hand off CRONIC Ooma phone user connection could be located anywhere in the United States.

When you look at the distance my Ooma phone messages traveled around the world, compared to the extra distance that the Ooma phone signal would have to travel in the United States, if the CRONIC Ooma phone Delay user's Legacy connection was changed to a different Legacy carrier connection in another region of the United States, the change in distance from a local carrier, to another Carrier in another Region, really don't amount to that much; and may correct the CRONIC delay problems that the Ooma user is having.

Maybe one of you CRONIC delay Ooma Phone users could suggest this action to Ooma? Maybe even demand the use of a different Lecacy carrier, located in another region of the United States?

Please report your success or failure to us, with your dealings with Ooma Support.
#79055 by kdawgud
Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:11 pm
thunderbird wrote:Since most long time CRONIC Delay Ooma phone user's delay problems are probably in the area of the Legacy Carrier:

And since I can call from a China using an Internet connection, using an Ooma Telo, for about a round trip call distance of about 16000 miles - half way around the earth, with no echo/delay problems at all; I'm wondering if Ooma Support could, for the Ooma CRONIC delay Phone Users, switch the handoff connection from their local current Legacy carrier, that the Ooma CRONIC Delay Phone User is assigned to now, to be assigned to another/different Legacy carrier in another region of the United States?

All Ooma phone calls within the United States are treated as local phone calls. Just the number of digits dialed from the local region to other regions can differ. So the hand off CRONIC Ooma phone user connection could be located anywhere in the United States.

When you look at the distance my Ooma phone messages traveled around the world, compared to the extra distance that the Ooma phone signal would have to travel in the United States, if the CRONIC Ooma phone Delay user's Legacy connection was changed to a different Legacy carrier connection in another region of the United States, the change in distance from a local carrier, to another Carrier in another Region, really don't amount to that much; and may correct the CRONIC delay problems that the Ooma user is having.

Maybe one of you CRONIC delay Ooma Phone users could suggest this action to Ooma? Maybe even demand the use of a different Lecacy carrier, located in another region of the United States?

Please report your success or failure to us, with your dealings with Ooma Support.

One question I have is if the legacy carrier we're using is so bad, why does Ooma still use them for certain people's accounts? I stopped the phone calls and switched over to email support explaining everything I had done up until then. Got a message back that said they were escalating to the next level, so hopefully I'll hear something back soon. If I don't get a resolution, I'll bring up switching carriers. Is "Legacy carrier" the proper technical term, BTW?
#79061 by Bill D
Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:52 pm
I'm confused by this concept of "users assigned to a carrier".

I believe, when we any of us call 909-390-0003, no matter where we are or who we are, our VOIP call first goes from our home over the Internet to the same Ooma data center, which I believe also is where www3.ooma.com is.

Our calls are then routed from that Ooma data center out of a telco gateway/carrier to reach 909-390-0003.

Questions - is a different gateway/carrier used for different callers depending on an assignment list maintained by Ooma? Do some folks get assigned to the list for the better gateway/carrier? Do only folks assigned to the better gateway/carrier see dramatically less delay measured from 909-390-0003?
#79062 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:40 pm
Carrier is the term that Ooma uses. The "carrier" is the actually the "middle-man" or "wholesaler” that hands off the VoIP call to/from the Legacy carriers. That's why I like to use the term "In the area of the legacy carrier".

From reading this forum probably the best carrier, that Ooma uses, is located in the Northwest United States.

From reading this forum probably the worst carriers, that Ooma uses, are located in the Southwest and Southeast United States.

I believe Ooma normally assigns their customers to carriers that are located in the same region where the customer lives.

If a call is made from an Ooma phone connection to an Ooma phone connection and there is little or no echo or delay, than the delay problem probably is in the area of carrier hand off area or the legacy carrier.

If there is still echo or delay when calling Ooma to Ooma phones, than the problem is probably in the home’s Internet equipment or with the Internet provider.
#79066 by kdawgud
Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:08 pm
thunderbird wrote:Carrier is the term that Ooma uses. The "carrier" is the actually the "middle-man" or "wholesaler” that hands off the VoIP call to/from the Legacy carriers. That's why I like to use the term "In the area of the legacy carrier".

From reading this forum probably the best carrier, that Ooma uses, is located in the Northwest United States.

From reading this forum probably the worst carriers, that Ooma uses, are located in the Southwest and Southeast United States.

I believe Ooma normally assigns their customers to carriers that are located in the same region where the customer lives.

If a call is made from an Ooma phone connection to an Ooma phone connection and there is little or no echo or delay, than the delay problem probably is in the area of carrier hand off area or the legacy carrier.

If there is still echo or delay when calling Ooma to Ooma phones, than the problem is probably in the home’s Internet equipment or with the Internet provider.

The regional carrier idea makes sense. That would explain why some people have delay problems and others don't. If I can't get the problem resolved going down the current path, I'll raise that issue. Still not sure why they keep using poor quality carriers. Maybe they figure 80% of users don't notice the delay.