This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#78836 by Bill D
Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:37 pm
kdawgud wrote:It seems I got the shortest delays when my POTS line called the ooma (as opposed to vice versa).

That's interesting. I wonder if the inbound call to Ooma goes over a different carrier or through a different telco gateway at Ooma. I don't have a POTS line, or I would try that.

I'm living with the delay for now and hoping Ooma reduces it before this thread grows another 30 pages longer.
#78840 by kdawgud
Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:03 pm
Bill D wrote:
kdawgud wrote:It seems I got the shortest delays when my POTS line called the ooma (as opposed to vice versa).

That's interesting. I wonder if the inbound call to Ooma goes over a different carrier or through a different telco gateway at Ooma. I don't have a POTS line, or I would try that.

I'm living with the delay for now and hoping Ooma reduces it before this thread grows another 30 pages longer.

OK - I collected some real data with Audacity this time.

Ooma to 909 number: 800-900ms
Ooma to POTS (round-trip): 800ms
POTS to Ooma (round-trip): 600ms
POTS to 909 number: 350ms

And just for fun:
Ooma to 909 number via google voice: 1000ms

This is all from Ohio. I should note, my long distance carrier on the POTS is PioneerTelephone. They are ultra low cost and may be using VOIP themselves.
#78841 by kdawgud
Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:07 pm
kdawgud wrote:
Bill D wrote:

OK - I collected some real data with Audacity this time.

Ooma to 909 number: 800-900ms
Ooma to POTS (round-trip): 800ms
POTS to Ooma (round-trip): 600ms
POTS to 909 number: 350ms

And just for fun:
Ooma to 909 number via google voice: 1000ms

This is all from Ohio. I should note, my long distance carrier on the POTS is PioneerTelephone. They are ultra low cost and may be using VOIP themselves.

And google chat (gmail interface) to 909 number: 400ms
#78844 by Bill D
Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:21 pm
kdawgud,

Your inbound vs outbound delay difference is intriguing. I also used, and loved, Pioneer long distance with my old POTS. I don't believe it is VOIP. I believe it is circuit-switched on leased lines.

I've been using Skype lately for important calls and it always measures 400 ms to the 909 loop-back and I never notice the delay no matter how intense the discussions get. I believe 400 is virtually unnoticeable, which is how Ooma used to be - similar the 350 on your POTS.
#78845 by kdawgud
Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:29 pm
horsecore wrote:Bill -

Has your Ooma received the new firmware release yet and if so, has it helped the delay problem?

I have not yet received the FW update but am curious to see if I notice an improvement.

Not yet. Just bought the unit a couple days ago and it downloaded updates when I first plugged it in, but it doesn't yet respond to the "speak version number" code I've seen around. Hopefully in a few days we can see. Although if it only drops from 800ms to 700ms, I don't know that I'll be satisfied enough to keep the service. I should also note that the internal ooma loopback number (925-259-0082) is super fast (didn't measure, but it definitely seems to be in the <400ms territory).
#78846 by Bill D
Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:37 pm
horsecore wrote:Bill -

Has your Ooma received the new firmware release yet and if so, has it helped the delay problem?

I have not yet received the FW update but am curious to see if I notice an improvement.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the new firmware update is only for the Telo. I have 3 Hubs all with 44468.44468.

However, it will be interesting to see if a FW update improves the Telo's delay.
#78860 by andgrim
Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:34 pm
Hello thunderbird, here are my results from http://speedtest.phonepower.com/

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 5.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4807176 bps
Upload speed: 363384 bps
Download quality of service: 92 %
Upload quality of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 22 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 84 ms
Average round trip time to server: 86 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 5040000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0484326
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 6241424bps
#78881 by thunderbird
Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:54 am
andgrim:

Other than having called someone from your Ooma phone connection to a another person, who also has an Ooma phone connection, and testing if there is delay during that call, I think you have tested everything on your side.

Your problem is probably a routing issue. An Ooma to Ooma call with little or no delay would prove it. For the routing problem, you have to contact Ooma and have them make corrections. You have to be persistent because they will sometimes "blow you off". I can tell you right now it will probably take some time with Ooma Customer Support, but in the end it's worth the effort.

I had a combination of things I had to correct with my home setup, and than get Ooma to correct the routing issue that caused part of my delay problem. Most often you will never know when the corrections are made. One day the delay is just gone, and mine has been that way ever since. I can make a call From China, where I am now, and have no delay.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Let us know how you come out.
#78886 by kdawgud
Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:31 am
thunderbird wrote:andgrim:

Other than having called someone from your Ooma phone connection to a another person, who also has an Ooma phone connection, and testing if there is delay during that call, I think you have tested everything on your side.

Your problem is probably a routing issue. An Ooma to Ooma call with little or no delay would prove it. For the routing problem, you have to contact Ooma and have them make corrections. You have to be persistent because they will sometimes "blow you off". I can tell you right now it will probably take some time with Ooma Customer Support, but in the end it's worth the effort.

I had a combination of things I had to correct with my home setup, and than get Ooma to correct the routing issue that caused part of my delay problem. Most often you will never know when the corrections are made. One day the delay is just gone, and mine has been that way ever since. I can make a call From China, where I am now, and have no delay.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Let us know how you come out.

Thunderbird,
You seem to be implying that andgrim's problems are limited to his/her account. However, if andgrim is able to get low delays ooma-to-ooma and only sees delays when calls leave ooma's network, wouldn't that seem to implicate a problem with ooma's link to the outside rather than his specific account (or his in-home setup)?

I guess if you are able to get low delays to any number, then perhaps the problems must be on a per-account basis. What are your typical measurable delays to 909-390-0003?