This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#78468 by Bill D
Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:41 pm
Fellow delay sufferers,

Here's another data point to add to the body of info on this never-ending thread.

My Ooma delay continues to be painfully annoying, now measuring 850 ms using the 909-390-0003 loop-back number. My ping time to www3.ooma.com from here in Florida continues to be 100 ms.

For important calls, Instead of Ooma, I've been using Skype because the delay is less. Using the same 909-390-0003 loop-back number Skype's delay consistently measures 400 ms. I believe Skype uses iLBC compression, the same as Ooma. My PC running Skype and my Ooma Hub are plugged into the same Ethernet switch so the difference in delay can't be blamed on my network, router or provider (AT&T U-Verse).

I've had 3 Ooma hubs since late 2009 and for the first year the delay was OK (around 400 ms, same as Skype) and then it roughly doubled to 800 ms. I can't complain about anything other than Ooma's increased delay. I don't have Premier and the value has been good with my Hubs probably paying for themselves.

Like others that are abandoning Ooma due to increased delay, I may eventually join the exodus, but I would prefer to stay. The delay I measure using Ooma's internal loop-back number 925-259-0082 is about 275 ms (good considering my 100 ms ping time), therefore I believe the delay problem must be caused by Ooma's telco gateways, their trans-coding or their telco provider(s). If I'm correct about the cause, this delay problem should be eventually fixable by Ooma.

I'm also totally stumped by the few forum members that report shockingly low delay measurements.

Bill
#78478 by EA PA
Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:37 pm
Bill D wrote:Fellow delay sufferers,

Here's another data point to add to the body of info on this never-ending thread.

My Ooma delay continues to be painfully annoying, now measuring 850 ms using the 909-390-0003 loop-back number. My ping time to www3.ooma.com from here in Florida continues to be 100 ms.

For important calls, Instead of Ooma, I've been using Skype because the delay is less. Using the same 909-390-0003 loop-back number Skype's delay consistently measures 400 ms. I believe Skype uses iLBC compression, the same as Ooma. My PC running Skype and my Ooma Hub are plugged into the same Ethernet switch so the difference in delay can't be blamed on my network, router or provider (AT&T U-Verse).

I've had 3 Ooma hubs since late 2009 and for the first year the delay was OK (around 400 ms, same as Skype) and then it roughly doubled to 800 ms. I can't complain about anything other than Ooma's increased delay. I don't have Premier and the value has been good with my Hubs probably paying for themselves.

Like others that are abandoning Ooma due to increased delay, I may eventually join the exodus, but I would prefer to stay. The delay I measure using Ooma's internal loop-back number 925-259-0082 is about 275 ms (good considering my 100 ms ping time), therefore I believe the delay problem must be caused by Ooma's telco gateways, their trans-coding or their telco provider(s). If I'm correct about the cause, this delay problem should be eventually fixable by Ooma.

I'm also totally stumped by the few forum members that report shockingly low delay measurements.

Bill

I have not run actual phone in use recording of ping as was previously suggested, however I ran http://pingtest.net/ from east to west coast and I am getting about 100 to 110 ms, 3 ms jitter and 0 packet loss. I would assume that these tests are somewhat equivalent.
#78481 by Bill D
Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:19 pm
EA PA wrote:I have not run actual phone in use recording of ping as was previously suggested, however I ran http://pingtest.net/ from east to west coast and I am getting about 100 to 110 ms, 3 ms jitter and 0 packet loss. I would assume that these tests are somewhat equivalent.

Using a command prompt on your PC and typing "ping www3.ooma.com" would measure the actual network round trip delay from your PC to the Ooma switching data center. Your http://pingtest.net/ from east to west coast may show a similar but not exact round-trip delay.

The phone-in-use round-trip voice delay test I'm doing is described here - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874

Bill
#78487 by horsecore
Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:17 pm
Bill D wrote:Fellow delay sufferers,

Bill

Hi Bill -

Ooma customer support has identified the culprit of the delay issues on my end, which is their carries - here is the latest response I've received from them regarding the delay issue:

Thank you very kindly for your email. We have been in talks with our carrier today and we are hoping for a some sort of permanent commitment from our carrier later today. This issue has been ongoing for quite some time and the workarounds that they have implemented work for some but not for others. So its an ongoing uphill battle right now towards resolution. We did pull the from route at one point, but the issue doesn't lie directly with them per sey so we put them back in route. It falls on one or two of the underlying carriers that they use that is also being used by our other carriers. Since no one is forthcoming on who they use to route calls, it is making it pretty hard to find the common culprit who is droppping the audio. As soon as we know more we will surely pass it along. Id still like you to continue to pass me call samples, but can i ask that you not send any till Monday. I am not in the office over the weekend and i would hate for your call samples to be wasted. As mentioned before any call sample over 20 hours old cannot be used.

I'm really hoping they get this fixed as the Ooma service has otherwise been very reliable and solid but the delay is just not acceptable...the people on the other end that are constantly talked over would agree as well.
#78493 by Bill D
Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:11 pm
Horsecore,

This is excellent news - that Ooma is closing-in on the culprit. I've long suspected a carrier problem. I've been busy so haven't had a chance to email Ooma tech support. Thanks very much for being diligent with tech support on this issue and thanks for posting that email from Ooma support.

Bill
#78494 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:48 pm
lbmofo wrote:Ooma Hub 470ms
AT&T Blackberry Bold 560ms
AT&T iPhone 3G 550ms
Ooma iPhone app via WiFi 470ms
Ooma iPhone app via 3G 900ms

I see no issues as long as Ooma delay is cellphone like or better.

I decided to check my delays out again tonight. Don't know why but my internet quality is terrible today. Hence, the results are not so good compared to before. Although the internet wasn't too good, I still was able to make some calls with excellent quality and without any issues. Also the test was done while daughter was doing web surfing and the wife streaming a movie.

Ooma Hub 837ms
Ooma Telo 1003ms
AT&T Blackberry Bold 624ms
AT&T iPhone 3G 592ms
Ooma iPhone app via WiFi 1250ms
Ooma iPhone app via 3G 998ms

Yuck:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 7.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 9.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.2 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3475056 bps
Upload speed: 971744 bps
Download quality of service: 19 %
Upload quality of service: 52 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 484 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 48 ms
Average round trip time to server: 54 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 32000000bps
Route concurrency: 9.208485
Download TCP forced idle: 70 %
Maximum route speed: 10922496bps
#78507 by danlisman
Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:55 am
Quote from Horsecore:
Ooma customer support has identified the culprit of the delay issues on my end, which is their carries - here is the latest response I've received from them regarding the delay issue:

Thank you very kindly for your email. We have been in talks with our carrier today and we are hoping for a some sort of permanent commitment from our carrier later today. This issue has been ongoing for quite some time and the workarounds that they have implemented work for some but not for others. So its an ongoing uphill battle right now towards resolution. We did pull the from route at one point, but the issue doesn't lie directly with them per sey so we put them back in route. It falls on one or two of the underlying carriers that they use that is also being used by our other carriers. Since no one is forthcoming on who they use to route calls, it is making it pretty hard to find the common culprit who is droppping the audio. As soon as we know more we will surely pass it along. Id still like you to continue to pass me call samples, but can i ask that you not send any till Monday. I am not in the office over the weekend and i would hate for your call samples to be wasted. As mentioned before any call sample over 20 hours old cannot be used.

I'm really hoping they get this fixed as the Ooma service has otherwise been very reliable and solid but the delay is just not acceptable...the people on the other end that are constantly talked over would agree as well.

Horsecore,Thank you for your update.
Ooma, thank you for listening.
I hope you continue to weed out these hidden problems. :!: