This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76985 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:11 am
alternety:
First: Make sure you are using http:// before 172.27.35.1.

Shut off MAC Address Spoofing:
a. Access your Ooma device’s “home port” by plugging in a network cable from the Ooma device’s “Home” port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the network cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
e. Select the “Update button”.
f. Do a “cold boot” of the modem.
g. Do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or Router, which ever device is next in line.
h. After the Ooma device or router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or router, which ever device is next in line.

Next with your Ooma device connected behind your router, go into Ooma Setup and set your upload/down/load QoS speeds to zero, and update. Reboot everything again, and do test phone calls.
#77276 by gjwhitehorn
Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:55 am
I still have delay on my Telo too, but here's my setup:
  • 2Wire 2701HG-B DSL modem/router has wifi disabled, and these 3 devices connected to LAN ports: Ooma Telo (in DMZ), Linksys SPA2102-R ATA (for a different VoIP sevice), and Rosewill RNX-GX4 router.
  • Ooma Telo and Linksys ATA have nothing plugged into their LAN ports.
  • Rosewill router has 1 PC connected via Ethernet and the rest via wifi.
The VoIP service on the Linksys ATA has noticeably less delay than the Ooma -- and it's not even in the modem's DMZ like the Telo is.
#77279 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:37 pm
Test your Ooma device with only one corded phone connected.

Make sure Wi-Fi's are off.

Make sure cordless phone bases are un-powered.

If you have the Ooma Telo Bluetooth adapter, remove adapter for test.

Restart Modem, than Ooma or Router which ever is connected next in line, than Router(S) or Ooma which ever is next in line.

If while testing you find that Ooma is better, one by one reconnect cordless phones, etc. to see when there is a change and what might be conflicting.

Mine will act up when I have my old GE cordless phones connected to power. With my new DECT 6 Plus phones there is no echo or delay.
#77954 by horsecore
Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:33 pm
Bill D wrote:
horsecore wrote:I'm still working with Ooma support for my delay issue and I have yet to receive this response. I wonder if it is coming...

horsecore,
I'm still at 750 ms delay, but otherwise my Ooma Hub here in California is working perfectly. Occasionally, when I test using 909-390-0003, my delay measures 400 ms instead of 750 ms. Since you and I are in the same boat, I'll post on this thread with any news or new ideas and I'll be watching for any news from you. I travel back east tomorrow and I'll test the delay using my other two Ooma Hubs at my Florida house and post the results.

Bill D

Bill -

What did your testing reveal? Anything?

Since my last post I've been working with Ooma support but no significant progress has been made. On 3/9 I received an e-mail from Ooma support stating that some small network changes had been implemented and to retest - I did, but there was no change.

Since then, Ooma support has asked for me to identify any calls which experience the delay, which is all of them, all the time. I indicated that the delay was present on both incoming and outgoing calls and part of the response I received from Ooma was that the incoming delay would need to be addressed on the caller's network....even though if I were to call them right back the same delay would be present.

Anyway, they are still working on it. The latest e-mail I received today states that they've at least narrowed the cause of the problem down and are attempting to correct it with their carrier. I hope it comes soon as I've generally avoided using my phone over the last 4 - 6 months due to the delay getting worse.
#77994 by Bill D
Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:19 am
horsecore wrote:What did your testing reveal? Anything?...........generally avoided using my phone over the last 4 - 6 months due to the delay getting worse.

horsecore,
Thanks for the update. I've tested several times using 909-390-0003 from here in Florida and its always about 720 ms delay. I also notice the delay on all my calls and I'm learning to live with it even though I hate it.

I've also been on several calls using Skype on my PC and the delay seems very low compared to Ooma. Skype also uses iLBC compression, so its an apples to apples in that regard. I was going to test Skype delay using 909-390-0003 but I don't have a paid account (I only use it for Skype-to-Skype). I'm busy on other stuff, but when I get some time, I'll open a paid account and try it.

Bill
#78070 by slope
Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 pm
After about 2 month of issues on my Ooma Telo - the biggest one of which is the delay (latency) - I will be dropping ooma. Unfortunately they have been unable to provide a solution to most of my issues. In support emails they have had various "explanations" regarding the latency, including:
(a) We fixed it (no they did not)
(b) There is no problem (yes there is)
(c) The issue is on my end (no it isn't)
(d) The measurements to 909-390-0003 are "not real life", even though I have _considerable_ delay (latency) on _all_ my calls (local or overseas, interestingly seemingly less so on the latter), and the easiest way to measure is using the echo line, not to mention that the internal ooma test number had minimal delays (see below), pointing to ooma's routing as the root cause of the delay.

So here are my final numbers (latency, round-trip):
(1) (909)-390-0003 (checked just a few minutes ago): ~850ms (experience shows that I can shave off about 100ms if I dial *99 first)
(2) (925)-259-0082 (Internal ooma, last checked about two weeks ago): ~350ms

I have switched to an other VOIP provider, and I get much better (lower) latency, no more having awkward "stepping on" the other party of the call. The latency measurements to (909)-390-0003 also seem confirm that (I get ~400ms). (Obviously can not test the internal ooma echo number with them).

Unfortunately I seem to be out of the money I paid for the Telo since it is 60+ days now since I bought it - this is the price I pay for trying to be on the cutting edge of technology. I guess I will try to sell it... Although I do have some "free" credit left, so I will try to use that up until I completely pull the plug. Anyone have an inmarsat phone I can call (at ~$9 a minute?) :)

Update: Fortunately Costco has a 90 day return policy, so I'm not out any money (except maybe a few dollars for the taxes that ooma charges on a monthly basis - but hey, I did get some free calls overseas (with some latency included)), as they have refunded the full purchase price of my ooma Telo. So anyone considering the ooma service I would recommend to buy it via Costco (if you can) since you will have more time to try to iron out any issues (in my case 2+ months was not enough, unfortunately).
#78175 by slope
Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:28 pm
An other advice I can give is to use GV, and only give out that number (and forward it to your current phone provider number). That way switching is easy, and no single provider can "hold you hostage" with the phone number they have assigned you.

I will still check back here from time to time, as I am actually interested whether ooma will be able to fix the delay, or if it is inherent to the technology.routing they use (for certain areas)...
#78183 by Bill D
Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:48 pm
slope wrote:I will still check back here from time to time, as I am actually interested whether ooma will be able to fix the delay, or if it is inherent to the technology.routing they use (for certain areas)...

I'm in the same fix as you delay-wise. For over a year before 2011 delay was better (400 ms) and then it jumped to 750 ms, but I've occasionally measured 400 ms, but rarely. Hopefully it will eventually be fixed with routing or gateway changes at Ooma. I'm living with it for now.
#78184 by horsecore
Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:52 pm
slope wrote:An other advice I can give is to use GV, and only give out that number (and forward it to your current phone provider number). That way switching is easy, and no single provider can "hold you hostage" with the phone number they have assigned you.

I will still check back here from time to time, as I am actually interested whether ooma will be able to fix the delay, or if it is inherent to the technology.routing they use (for certain areas)...

Lucky you slope! We also bought our Telo from Costco but it was back in July '10 so we are well beyond 90 days. :(

I'm holding out hope that Ooma will get this fixed. I most likely won't be able to return the Telo and I don't want to have to start paying for phone service again. AT&T charges $35 for their unlimited VOIP....grrrrrr. We had a landline with AT&T for years but it was breaching the $50/month mark with taxes and everything else, which was just too expensive.

C'mon Ooma, make me proud.
#78208 by slope
Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:58 am
horsecore wrote:
... I don't want to have to start paying for phone service again. AT&T charges $35 for their unlimited VOIP....grrrrrr. ...

I'm trying not to advertise a competitor on these forums, but I'm using GV "directly" now (i.e. no forwarding to a different phone number), and I can still use my home phone setup (i.e. as before, with ooma). There is a little device (search for "obi") that makes that connection (again similar to ooma - i.e. it has an ethernet and a phone jack port). Very simple to set up (I would say simpler than ooma (nicely, behind my router/firewall, as it should be)). And it is only $40-$50 and _no_ (read: $0) cost beyond that (within the US/Canada, as long as google does not charge). And the overseas rates seem to be lower than ooma, too! Voice (so far) seems to be of good quality.
Ofcourse there are issues:
- relies on google not changing their protocol
- No 911 service
- It sells out quickly (amazon).