This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#69517 by lbmofo
Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:05 am
matchorno wrote:My call quality (audio delay perceived by lack of ability to converse with other callers) is much better on my cell. I have been successfully using a cell phone for years and notice very little delay if anything. However conversations on the ooma have not been reasonably possible.

How many seconds of delay are you measuring?
#69554 by irish0818
Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:16 pm
Delay still noticeable for me. I have, what I think it the latest rev (1.42086), but it is not the worst. I have to judge my responses.

Frustrating as I came from Vonage. Sure I had to pay monthly, but had minimal issues over the 4 years I had service. I'm not quick to go back since I need to recoup my $250 investment.
:!:
#69608 by subguy
Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:19 pm
Another thing that seems fortuitous is that I bought an old, floor model Hub from Radio Shack. Supposedly I don't have to pay anything (not even the taxes/fees) for this older Hub model. Apparently they changed that later on (my Telo was not this way). But sure enough when I activated the Hub I didn't need to supply a CC # or anything (like I did for Telo), so I think it's true, after my initial startup costs it won't cost me anything. I do plan to monitor my delay, and see how that goes. I just measured it right now, and it is right around 500 ms. Very do-able IMHO.
#69854 by geobernd
Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:51 pm
Any updates on if we may expect an improvement of this situation?
I was on the phone again twice tonight and it is very painful holding a dynamic conversation with the long delay - way too much talking over each other as a result.
I am hopeful Ooma can replace Vonage for me (and friends who watch my 'trial' very closely) - but without the latency down to what other VoIP providers can do it's a no go...
#69901 by jhphone
Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:56 pm
geobernd wrote:Any updates on if we may expect an improvement of this situation?
I was on the phone again twice tonight and it is very painful holding a dynamic conversation with the long delay - way too much talking over each other as a result.
I am hopeful Ooma can replace Vonage for me (and friends who watch my 'trial' very closely) - but without the latency down to what other VoIP providers can do it's a no go...

I think you are in a good position, being in a trial period.

I burned the ATT bridge behind me by switching my number to Ooma as soon as possible -- and regret it. I hate this 500ms delay, the echo, and half-duplex (one way at a time) transmission problem where when you speak you cannot hear the other party. The combination of these audio problems compounds the difficulty of having a dynamic conversation.

Taken separately, the delay OR the echo OR the half-duplex mode, amount to a telephonic communication that is INFERIOR to a Nineteenth Century (late 1800s) Bell telephone.

Congratulations Ooma! You have yet to enter the Twentieth Century with your phone technology.

If you disagree Ooma -- please try explain these FACTS away. You cannot. Instead of excuses and generally ignoring the problem -- FIX IT.

We were promised a Telo upgrade a few weeks ago but these delay and other problems hasve not been mitigated at all.

My suggestion is to return your Ooma equipment while you can. If you have a week or so before it expires give it a further try. But I don't expect it will be fixed in the foreseeable future based on past performance or lack thereof.
#69933 by wristwatch
Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:34 am
I have been noticing some latency issues with phone conversations, seems worse when I am calling cell phones as I sometimes talk over the other person or they end up talking over me a lot of times. My setup is Cable Modem -> Linksys(Tomato with QoS) -> Ooma Telo (QoS Disabled) -> Panasonic DECT 6.0 Cordless Phone.

I ran some tests just now this morning (although most my regular phone call conversations occur in the evening):

(909) 390-0003 with pencil strike to phone case: 654ms
(909) 390-0003 with pencil strike to phone case: 629ms
(909) 390-0003 with pencil strike to phone case: 748ms
(909) 390-0003 with pencil strike to phone case: 599ms
(909) 390-0003 with pencil strike to phone case: 630ms
(909) 390-0003 with pencil strike to phone case: 603ms

pingtest.net
Packet Loss: 0%
Ping: 14ms
Jitter: 0ms

speedtest.net
Download: 21.18 Mb/s
Upload: 2.76 Mb/s
Ping: 23ms

whichvoip.com
Jitter: 0.5ms
Packet Loss: 0.0%
MOS score: 4.2
Download speed: 5.39 Mbps
Upload speed: 2.67 Mbps
Quality of Service: 93%
#69935 by Bill D
Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:47 am
wristwatch wrote:I have been noticing some latency issues with phone conversations, seems worse when I am calling cell phones as I sometimes talk over the other person or they end up talking over me a lot of times.

I've also been noticing the same lately. See my earlier posts on this thread. What is your ping time to www3.ooma.com?

Bill
#69939 by wristwatch
Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:41 am
Bill D wrote:I've also been noticing the same lately. See my earlier posts on this thread. What is your ping time to www3.ooma.com?

I just pinged www3.ooma.com 12/01/2010 at 12:38 PM CST and my results were:

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 81ms, Maximum = 192ms, Average = 85ms